Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WHY ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 5:31pm
Merlin,
Your points are well taken.
Brent
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by mikecuts mikecuts wrote:

Why do some ladies have no fear of loosing their long locks?
I suppose it is because those who choose to do so are firm of resolution.

Interesting path this conversation took.  Hal first mentioned "fetish," which was debated some -- then dominated by Brent.  Claude questioned mikecuts' credentials.  Kuroneko first mentioned a double-standard, and then Brent ran with the ball...

Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I just hate the way people are so quick to pounce on any short hair fans as freaks with weird fetishes, who need professional help, but not very often are such charges levelled against the long-hair fans of the boards -_- .  It's very much a double standard, I think.

Not true.  I doubt that any of the long-hair fans think of people who prefer short hair as being freaks or of having weird fetishes.  The long-hair fans on the boards support those who want it long, and otherwise encourage the individual to choose the length that they want, whether it's long, medium or short.  The primary difference I see between the long and short forums is the manner in which support is given.  Several (but not most) of the folks here seem to go for the hard sell... lovebobs comes to mind.  Still, this is the short hair forum, and it doesn't elicit any complaints (that I am aware of), so it's okay.

Interesting to see the extent to which Brent got whipped up over these subjects...

Originally posted by SanFranBrent SanFranBrent wrote:

You are being too defensive Anne. Relax lovely lady. I like your posts, but you get too defensive sometimes Anne.

Hmm....

Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

Anne, please get over the paranoia that everyone wants you to cut your hair.

Where did this notion come from?  (And who's paranoid?)

Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I don't know that hairstyles and fashion are always about sex or sexuality.  I work for a large corporation and have for the last 21 years.  Most of the people who work there are trying (breaking their necks actually) to get ahead and their clothing and hairstyles are a direct reflection of that.  Any hint of sexy is definitely NOT what you would want to do to get ahead in that place.  It is much more conforming to the culture to look polished, professional, and conservative.  That is not for everyone, of course, but for those who want that world sexy is the absolute last thing they would ever do.   And there is nothing wrong with that.  It is a conscious choice that some people make to get what they want.

So I think that hairstyles and fashion can also be about career and getting ahead in whatever chosen one a person has.

My observation based on about 20 years of professional employment: within the past, oh, approximately 10 years, women in the corporate workplace are demonstrating a willingness to look (clothes and hair) more alluring / sexy -- and it isn't hurting their ability to perform their job well, or their advancement within the lower/middle ranks (I've no exposure to the upper echelons).
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 6:51pm
In my company you still cannot wear open toed shoes, you must wear hose (even when it is 100 degrees outside) and I am quite sure a woman would get sent home if her skirt was too short or tight or her shirt too low cut.  I have seen it happen.  And visible tatoos would be an immediate cessation to any upward advancement.  It is a pharmaceutical company.  I don't think it is out of the norm.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 7:31pm
Many companies these days are more casual than that Demodoll.
Brent
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:19am
Dave,
I don't get so whipped up. The topic is intriguing to me, so I express my beliefs in regards to it.
Brent
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 8:07am
 I know that many companies are more casual right now but I still say that there are reason other than expressing sexuality for the way people dress.  Getting ahead in a corporation or other work setting is one of them and the culture of the company generally dictates what is acceptable.  Dressing sexy in many workplaces would be not be a way to get ahead so I think a lot of people, women especially, do "career dressing" which allows them to look the part of someone on their way up in that business.  The way you dress can be instrumental in expressing a lot of things.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 12:44pm
Hi, Mike

To answer your original question, which I think many people might have miss-understood, I'm going to answer it from a personal point of view and from my personal experience.

I love long hair, but have cut it to short bobs (which I love) in several occasions. I do have to admit to you though, that the reason that made me take the plunge to cut it on those ocassions, was because my hair was damaged and I had to cut it. Otherwise, I would have kept it long. Usually I would be very hesitant about cuting it. But if is damaged, and I know it has to go, then it has to go. I guess the way I look at it on those occasions is: as much as I love my long hair, I rather have it short and looking pretty and healthy, rather than keep it long and looking damaged.

I have naturally very curly hair, which I wear straigth 99% of the time. However, if for any reason I'm not able to blow dry my hair straight, as long as it is long in length, I can still style it in a way in which it will look nice. Even if is just a curly pony tail. When my hair is short, I don't have that option, because my curly hair, will shink to very short curls and won't leave me much of a styling option. So for women with curly hair, short hair could actually be (in some occasions) more work that long hair, since you really have to keep it styled (specially a short bob) to keep it looking good.

For that reason, you will find that most curly haired women, such as myself are alot more hesitant to cut their long locks into short styles. Women with straight hair are usually less affraid of just taking the plunge and cutting off their hair. In my opinion because their hair will look good no matter what. They don't have to worry about humidity turning their new shorter locks in a frizzie fro. They can just wash and go, and just let their short hair air dry, and still look great. Even if they choose the bobs that have the buzz cut underneath; as the hair grows back it will look good. But If a curly haired girl chooses that cut, growing it out, will be painfull LOL. You will get those short little curls that are impossible to style when they are in between lenghts (not short but not long either). So cutting your hair into a more daring style when you have curlie locks, is a much bigger risk, and you are more prone to be dissapointed once you realized what a pain in the butt it is to have to keep the hair perfectly styled all the time in order for it to look good. And how time consuming that could be.

So that is why some women will just say, "what that heck, just cut it off, I'm  just sick of of and want it gone". I bet you most of the time is a straight hair girl. Having the straight hair gives her that flexibility to take more chances, and trying more daring cuts. Where us curlie girls can not be that flexible, because we might get stuck looking awful for months, while growing out the wrong cut.

I know personally that if I had naturally straight hair (which most people think I do, just because I style it that way most of the time) I would deft. be more daring and try many more hair styles. But I'm limited because of my hair, so even when I cut it into a bob, it has to be long enough for me to tie it back if I need to (you know in case of emergency, suden rain and stuff like that LOL).

So personally I think that is why some women aren't afraid to just say "chop it off", while others would need to go through months of therapy before taking the plunge LOL!

I hope I have answered your question.

Much love, Shary
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 2:34pm
Right I re-read the original post a few times.  I think the reason some women have no fear is that it's not scary. 

If you are at the point that you are in a salon you know what you want.  When I got my first tattoo I had no fear as I knew the design was one I loved.  And that was a more permanent decision than a haircut.

Yes, if a maniac fetishist lunged at me with blunt scissors I would be scared.  Most people would be.  But there's nothing to be scared of in carrying out an image change you want.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic