Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WHY ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHY ?
    Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:30pm
I have a question, Why do some ladies have no fear of loosing their long locks?I had a client and a friend come into the shop today. She is a standard bob style. Her friend wanted a short cliiper cut. she had some of the most thickest straightest hair I have ever seen. length was just about shoulder  length. Of course my question is why do you want it cut and are you sure? Her reason was " I am sick of it and just want it gone" . I just wonder as a barber / stylist why... I do cut a lot of teenage and mid- age ladies styles both short and long. One of the big fads coming back is the nape being cliipped short with longer hair over it so when the hair is pulled up in a pony tail the clipperd nape is exposed. Do you see this in other area's of the USA?  
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 10:57pm
I often see young women and middle aged women with short hair, even ultra-short hair.
It isn't a problem these days for a woman to wear very short hair. And some women look adorable in ultra-short hairstyles.
It has been that way for decades really, going back to the short permed  bob cuts of the 1920s, up to the modern pixies and other very short hairstyles of today in the 2000s.

I am in my 40s, and my entire life I have seen many women with short hair, including my ex-wife, and the woman I am dating these days.

So why would it surprise you that some women like to wear short hair? Just as some men like wearing long hair, or a beard, or earrings, or whatever.

Different people have different styles.

Some women like to wear pantsuits, others like to wear skirts or dresses.
Some women wear a nosestud in their pierced nostril, others don't wear nose jewelry. Some women have gotten tattoos, others don't have tattoos. It is just fashion. It is good that different people like different styles. It would be boring if everyone had the same hair length, or hairstyle.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 06 2006 at 11:06pm
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by mikecuts mikecuts wrote:

I have a question, Why do some ladies have no fear of loosing their long locks?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.  Why do some ladies have no fear of all the time it takes to grow their hair long?

As Brent said, it's simply a matter of taste.  Short hair (or long hair) isn't "good" or "bad."  It's like different clothing styles.  Is a long skirt "better" than a short skirt? 

Quote Her friend wanted a short cliiper cut.

I understand that many women like their hair cut short.  However, why does it matter if the hair is cut with clippers or with scissors?  Is a clipper cut like a crewcut?  You sure do like to talk about using clippers on a woman's head!

Quote One of the big fads coming back is the nape being cliipped short with longer hair over it so when the hair is pulled up in a pony tail the clipperd nape is exposed. Do you see this in other area's of the USA?  

I haven't personally seen this, but I've seen it on the internet.  It's interesting to see the drastic difference between ultra short and long.  I wouldn't personally choose this, but it's a unique look!
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 11:37am
I have to agree with Anne and Brent here...  There are an infinite number of reasons people have style preferences, perceptions, fears, desires, etc.  It's part of the human psyche.  Everyone is different.  No one will ever figure it out.  It just is...

I also noticed you like talking about clippering women's hair and find a way to assert "as a barber / stylist" in almost every message you post.  It seems a little odd to me.  Are you a barber that gets pleasure from buzzing women's hair with a clipper?  You sure like to talk about it a lot.

In my opinion, the look you get from clipper-cutting hair is too harsh (read butch) for most women.  Using a clipper with a guide or length-specific blade (like a 3.5) follows the contour of the head too closely.  It does not permit you to compensate for irregular growth patterns or bone structure.  This is mitigated, to a degree, using a clipper-over-comb technique.  Still, it does not offer as much control as a you get by employing a number of techniques using a variety of shears.  You can cut hair every bit as short with shears but provide a cut tailored specifically to your client's hair type/texture.  It just takes a little more time and skill than does plowing a clipper up the nape.  If that's what the client desires, great.  I think most women prefer the softer look, however.

I have not personally observed the fad of which you speak.  It may have to do with demographics.  I have seen styles trending a bit shorter and with more structure recently rather than the long, flat-ironed look with streaky highlights and low-lights that has been popular for a long time now (too long IMO).  Bobs, more layers, graduation and texture are being employed.  Clients have stopped "growing their hair out" and are willing to experiment with a variety of looks again.  I like the shorter or medium-length styles more.

Edited by Rocky - July 07 2006 at 11:41am
kimspikedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimspikedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 11:54am

Hi, I prefer my hair, short over long, because for me it's easier to style. I don't have to blow dry my hair (just towel dry).  I bleach my own hair, (and cut it also). So having short hair, I don't get split ends from bleaching.(well atleast you can't see them) haha And plus I just like the look of short/spiked hair! 

Kim
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:37pm
I find it very disheartening the way ya'll have attacked Mike here.  First off, nobody answered his question; it was a simple question:

Why do some ladies have no fear of loosing their long locks?

It wasn't a short vs. long question related to the 'Totally Baffling' post in the "Hair Politics" forum http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=37
which seems to have continued to this post.  It is simply an observation made by a trained/qualified hair cutter.  Some, and I would venture to say most, women are very nervous when cutting their long hair short; his observation was that some women don't show this nervousness and was simply wondering why.  His later comment about undercuts is simply just another observation; he is curious and just wants to find out if anyone has noticed this or if it is just happening in his local area.

For Mike, I haven't a clue as to why some women show no fear when getting their long hair cut short.  I would venture a guess here and say that it was a deliberate and calculated decision; they understand the consequences (lots of hair on the floor and not on their head) and welcome the change.  Those that have made the change and were very nervous about it probably can't wait to have it long again as they were probably not quite ready for the change.  As for the undercut thing, ten years ago I lived on the North Carolina coast; I saw numerous undercuts but by no means was it the norm; in fact, it was a rarity.  I saw variations from just an inch up from the hairline to all the way to the top of the ears.  Personally, I like the look, especially when in a ponytail.  It gives the nape a much cleaner look.  Here in Texas, I have not seen an undercut in a very long time.

HAWG
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 6:01pm
Just a thought here, but maybe there should be two forums to better serve the needs of people here.  One would be about short hair (how to style and take care of it and discuss different styles, similar to the long hair board) and another one could be about haircutting, which is what a lot of people like mikecuts and Brent and others seem to prefer to discuss.  That way, they could talk about cutting and buzzing women all they wanted because that would be the focus of the forum!
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 6:28pm

(a) Having a hair fetish does not necessarily mean you like de-feminizing women or you like forced haircuts.

(b) Just coz you have a hair fetish doesn't mean you can't be interested in hairstyles in a 'normal' way too. (It's like saying someone with a foot fetish can't buy shoes!)

(c) Having a fetish is not a bad thing in itself - obviously it depends on how you conduct yourself with it. Unwillingly forcing it on others is bad, but simply having isn't nor should anyone be made to feel bad about it. 

(d) You can like extreme short cuts without having a fetish. 

So give people a break, we're are all entitled to our own opinions and feelings and simply suggesting someone used clippers to cut their hair does not make that person a fetishist.

As a 10-year old a friend of my had a buzzed nape (by choice) because it was fashionable - I doubt at 10 that she had any kind of fetish.
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 7:50pm
Amen Skydancer

And I agree with you also, Anne.  I'm not sure how to start a new forum though.  It may be something that Karen our Dave has to do.
HAWG
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 8:29pm
Anne, and Hawg,
I don't believe another board for short hairstyles is really necessary. Most people on this board write good and interesting things about short hairstyles.
Actually I am much more interested in short hairstyles on ladies than I am on cutting hair. I don't have a cutting hair fetish, and I am not interested in a board like that.

We are just discussing short hairstyles here on this board. Some people (usually not myself) sometimes mention hair cutting also.

I personally like many short hairstyles on women ranging from shaved heads, to buzzcuts, to short pixies, to chin length bob cuts, to shoulder length bob cuts. I like varying styles and lengths of short hairstyles on beautiful women.

I also agree with what Skydancer wrote.

My only criticism of what Claude wrote is that he shouldn't jump to conclusions about people he doesn't really know, or be condescending to others on the boards.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 08 2006 at 8:39pm
Brent
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 5:23am
I just hate the way people are so quick to pounce on any short hair fans as freaks with weird fetishes, who need professional help, but not very often are such charges levelled against the long-hair fans of the boards -_- .  It's very much a double standard, I think.

Anyway, in answer to the original question. . .  The women who are frightened about cutting their hair are usually the ones who define themselves by their hair.  They might just have old-fashioned ideas of gender roles and think only long-haired women are feminine or attractive.  Or they might just have had long hair their whole lives and be nervous about what life will be like without it.  If I were a stylist, I would definitely rather see a woman who's calm and sure in her decision, and confident in who she is as a person.  I would want a client to feel happy with my work and not have any regrets.  However, I wouldn't let that turn me into a coward who's afraid to make any major changes on anyone, the way I've seen with a lot of stylists.  Hair, at least for me, is about being creative and trying new things.  You can't do that if you're living in constant fear of your client's next mood swing.
More awesome than a manatee!
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 6:42am
I agree Kuroneko. There is a double standard concerning those who appreciate short hairstyles on women, and those who prefer long hairstyles on women. There are just as many long haired fetish websites as there is short haired fetish websites.

And short haired women are just as feminine and sexy as longhaired women, sometimes even more so.

This double standard comes out of a bigoted, very conservative, traditional oppressive orthodoxy that in some parts of the country people still have, that "long hair on women fetish" is not a fetish, but someone who appreciates short hairstyles on women has some sort of fetish that the long haired appreciator doesn't, etc...

Even though the majority of women over 25 years old wear short or fairly short hair, and there are many men who wear long hair, there are still some backwards people that associate long hair with females.
This is slowly fading though, as women (and men) become more liberated in their hairstyle choices.

The fashion industry and the big cities always lead the way on fashion.

In the fashion industry and in the major metropolitan areas, women these days wear their hair however they like, from ultra-short hairstyles to long hair to everything in between. There are women fashion models with shaved heads, short pixies, and short bob hairstyles. Women wear dresses and skirts like they always did (thankfully so, I love feminine dresses and skirts on women) but they also wear jeans and pantsuits.

The modern woman is pretty liberated and has a greater selection of hairstyle and clothing fashions than did women one hundred years ago. Thankfully. And modern women are often very sexy and very feminine, as feminine and beautiful as they ever were, if not more so.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 09 2006 at 6:44am
Brent
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:00am
how one word caused all this. I do appreciate the remarks. As for a barber/stylist its known as school, school school>>>>>>>>>. Let me just say this I have no fettish off cutting and or buzzing I just do my job and do it well. Do whats asked of you and bring a smile by making the inner self feel good. Is that what life is all about? We are here to learn not judge. I do feel Dave  & Karen are doing a great job. Lets keep thsi a short hair forum for athers to learn from give advice when asked and keep up the great work.Kuroneko. Thanks for your answer bery well put

Edited by mikecuts - July 09 2006 at 9:01am
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:41am
That was kind of beautiful. 

By the way, there's an elephant in the room...  again.

Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 4:54pm
I can spot a couple of things that could be construed (or misconstrued) that way.
What might be a problem to some people might not be to others though. So who cares?
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I just hate the way people are so quick to pounce on any short hair fans as freaks with weird fetishes, who need professional help, but not very often are such charges levelled against the long-hair fans of the boards -_- .  It's very much a double standard, I think.

I would agree Kuroneko, but if you'll read the previous posts, it isn't a simple liking of shorter hair.  It's all the talking of buzzing women down like it's a sport and the automatic responses that don't seem to take each individual into account.  There is a constant underlying theme from some individuals (not you) that every short haircut on a woman could be even shorter and that every short haircut is automatically the greatest thing she could ever do.

It's like someone looking at photographs and paintings and saying that every one is a masterpiece.  After awhile, that opinion seems rather worthless.

Quote The women who are frightened about cutting their hair are usually the ones who define themselves by their hair.

I've never known anyone who was actually frightened!  I think women with long hair simply prefer their hair long just like women with short hair prefer their short hair and aren't "frightened" to grow it.

Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 11:27pm
Anne,
This is the short hairstyle board. Just about everyone that writes on these boards, men and women alike, like many different short hairstyles on women; from shaved heads, to short crops, to short pixies, to chin length bobs, etc..

A short hairstyle on many women, not all women, IS the best hairstyle for many of them! Many times I have seen a woman with a plain, drab shoulder length or even longer hairstyle, go to a short bob hairstyle or short pixie hairstyle and look much better. More beautiful, fashionable, and feminine.

As far as buzzing or shaving their heads, the bald look is just one short style on a woman. There is various short hairstyles on women that can look good on ladies, from short bob styles, to short pixies, etc..

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 09 2006 at 11:31pm
Brent
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 7:15am
Brent... One of the very first topics it "This is Not An Fetish board".  Those who think very one needs a "very short Pixie", an "inverted bob, "buzzed nape" or "clipper cut" really flirt with the line of like and fetish.
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 7:40pm
Hal, those are hairstyles, amongst other hairstyles. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a fetish.
And who is to say it is wrong to like those hairstyles?, (as obviously many of the men and women on these boards do).
For that matter, is it wrong to have fashion fetishes or preferences?,( as all people do).
We are getting into the philisophical with statements like that. Into subjective areas.

As I stated before in one of my posts, one person's definition of a fetish is another person's defintion of an acceptable hairstyle. What one person considers weird, another person considers pleasurable and a nice fashion style.
To me a weird fetish hairstyle is short, blue colored, spiky hair. That would be a weird, fetish hairstyle to me, I wouldn't want my lady or my daughter wearing it.
However an ultra-short pixie on a woman is perfectly acceptable to me, whether anyone believes it a fetish or not. But that is just my definition of what is and isn't acceptable. Others many disagree with me.

There is no way to objectively determine what hairstyle consitutes a "fetish hairstyle" and what hairstyle is "mainstream" enough not to be considered a "fetish" hairstyle. It is completely subjective.
Just as beauty is subjective and a personal preference.
Ted Danson once said that Whoppi Goldberg was a very beautiful woman. And I have read on the internet one person who said that Halle Berry wasn't that beautiful.
I would prefer to get it on with Halle Berry when she is wearing an ultra-short pixie, than get it on with Whoppi Goldberg with her long hair. Does that mean that I have a fetish for women in short pixie hairstyles?
So your definition of a fetish style might be different than mine is.

Realistically no one can deternine what is or isn't a "fetish". What is a "fetish" for one person might be acceptable for another.

The whole concept of "fetish" vs. "mainstream" is bogus anyway. How would you even define it? People would have different definitions on what consitutes a fetish and what constitutes mainstream.

And fashion is always changing. What was a fetish ten years ago might be mainstream today.
Years ago short spiky hair on women was considered a fetish. Now it isn't. Years ago tattoos, a pierced nostril, in some places even pierced ears, were considered forms of a fashion fetish on women. They aren't today. There are so many women these days who have tattoos, have pierced ears, or even a pierced nostril, that it has gone from being a so-called "fetish" fashions to so-called "mainstream", or at least fairly common fashion styles.

An ultra-short pixie like Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, or Toni Braxton have worn, might be considered a "fetish hairstyle" by you, but it would be a completely acceptable hairstyle to others. It is certainly acceptable on women to me. I love those hairstyles on women, and have been with women who had hairstyles that short or even shorter than that, and I loved it on them.

It would be an amazingly boring and oppressive world if we were only allowed certain hairstyles. That is how the Communists and the Islamic Fascists do it. They only allow certain hairstyles or fashions that they consider acceptable.

But as I stated, it is subjective anyway. One person's fetish hairstyle is another person's acceptable hairstyle.
We don't need the "hairstyle police" telling us whether a hairstyle is a "fetish" or not, or how to percieve or wear hairstyles.
We are in America, a free country, not in an oppressive totalitarian state like Iran or North Korea. Each of us should be allowed to determine for ourselves how we want to wear our hair and what we consider acceptable hairstyles.

Now having said all of that, do I believe there is such a thing as fetishes, or fetish hairstyles? Yes I do believe that, but what is a fetish hairstyle for me, might not be for you, and visa versa. Every person doesn't agree on what exactly constitutes a fetish hairstyle or fetish fashions.
They should always agree with me on fashion, but sometimes they actually don't, which means they are probably wrong, doesn't it?

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 10 2006 at 9:03pm
Brent
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 8:34pm
I will give you a few examples on what I consider acceptable hairstyles and fashions, and hairstyles or fashions that I consider weird "fetish" styles or unacceptable.

Acceptable hairstyles on women;
Any short hairstyle. Ranging from shaved heads, buzzcuts, short crops, short pixies, long pixies, short bob cuts, long bob cuts, short permed hair, short straight hair.
I believe women like Natalie Portman, Janice Robinson, and Bai Ling, looked beautiful in the bald look.
Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, and Sharon Stone look adorable in short pixie hairstyles.
Short bob hairstyles are gorgeous on many women.
Also any medium length hairstyle on women.
Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Aniston, and Cindy Crawford, look good in medium length hair.
Also any long hair length on women except really, really long, like past knee length.
Jessica Simpson looks good in long hair.

Weird fetish or unacceptable hairstyle on women;
Any unnatural color of hair, such as blue, pink, orange, green, etc..
Long hair on one side of the head and a shaved head on the other side of the head.
Hair length that is too long, like past knee length, dragging on the floor, etc...

Other fashions;

Acceptable to me;
Pierced ears, and pierced nostrils on women.
Pierced ears on men (but not pierced nostrils).
Tattoos on men or women (except facial tattoos).
Skirts or dresses on women.
Jeans or pantsuits on women.
High heels or low heels on women.
Pantyhose on women.
Makeup on women.
Lipstick on women.

Unacceptable to me;
Pierced lips or pierced genitalia on men or women.
Pierced nostrils on men.
Skirts on men, (except sarongs or kilts).
High heels on men.
Pantyhose on men.
Makeup on men.
Lipstick on men.

I am sure most people agree with me on all of this.
My definitions of what is acceptable or what isn't acceptable should be what people should follow.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 10 2006 at 9:10pm
Brent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic