Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No crunches, there is an alternative exercise!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No crunches, there is an alternative exercise!
    Posted: July 07 2006 at 2:29pm
If you walk a mile with your stomach held in it works the same mucles as situps and crunches. It's alot more fun and easier too.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:03am

I taught myself to hold my tummy in just about all the time, habitually :-P .  That's vanity for you!  I'd heard that would help strengthen the abdominal muscles, but it didn't seem to do much for me.  I've noticed more results from a couple of months doing crunches than from years of habitually sucking in.

More awesome than a manatee!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:15pm
I saw some non-crunch ab exercises on the Today show, so I'll probably add those to my routine and see how well they help.  They're all done sitting in a chair, and you do 12 reps of each one in turn.  Then you do them all again.  It's supposed to take around 10 mins all together.
1) The easiest one :-P .  When you inhale, you push your abdominal muscles out.  When you exhale, you pull them in.  You're supposed to hold for a couple of seconds each time.
2) Touch each elbow in turn to the opposite knee.
3) Hold your arms straight out in front of you while holding a medicine ball or milk jug.  Turning at the waist, you go left, then back to the front, then right, then back to the front. . .
4) While seated and holding onto the chair for support, you raise and lower your legs, almost like doing sit-ups, except it's the legs that are moving instead of the back.
More awesome than a manatee!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 2:35pm
If you do the Plank...for a few seconds it is equal to doing 50 crunches.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 10:56pm
What's the plank?
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:12am
Here in Australia we work in kilometers -so how do I convert to miles ?
I jog 6 Kilometres a day when able.

anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Miffny Miffny wrote:

I jog 6 Kilometres a day when able.

That's 3.73 miles.
tanjuska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanjuska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 4:35pm
1 mile is 1, 6 kilometers.

ammm ... i like crunches... i always did (huh- am i strange??)
at the beggingin is tough, but then it is easy to get to 100 and more.
just like running... first few kilometers are the hardest but after month or two you run like Forest Gump :)  

Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 3:02am
Thanks tanjuska I think I will cut back now :)
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Miffny Miffny wrote:

Thanks tanjuska I think I will cut back now :)

Why?  That's a decent distance to give you a good aerobic workout!  Unless you have medical problems, I'd go at least that far everyday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic