Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

big nose + short hair: can it be done?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 12:01am
Thanks so much to everyone for your advice!

Anne, a lot of the things you mentioned are particularly helpful. I think I'm going to make an appointment for a consultation this week. I doubt I'll be able to find a short look that will work with my features and hair type, but it wouldn't hurt to talk with a competent stylist.
kimspikedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimspikedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 10:59pm
Hi Fickle,
Go to www.clairol.com website, and go to the "Try it on studio".  It's where you can upload your picture, and see what you would look like with a different hairstyle and color.
Kim
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/kimspikedhair/
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 10:39pm
It really depends on how you define "very short."  When the hair is cut extremely short, the lack of much hair emphasizes every feature on the face, no matter what the size.  With an oblong face, it can also really make your face look much longer, as well.

I think there are many short cuts that will suit you, but a little length will be softer on your face.

Quote If I did cut it all of, it would mostly be for convenience.

I am not at all trying to talk you into longer hair, but if your hair is naturally wavy, why fight it?  The problem won't get better with short hair, unless you cut it super short, and again, super short hair emphasizes everything on the face and can also add a few extra pounds.  With short hair, you can't just throw it in a ponytail when it isn't cooperating.  If you're also straightening your hair, you may be doing a lot more to it when it's short since there's no length to help weigh it down at all.

Quote I've gone from long hair to bobs and while I initially loved it, I always ended up regretting it

Since you'd be doing this for convenience, I'd really discuss this long and hard with a highly competent stylist or else you may be causing far more problems than you ever imagined.  I've had several consultations, and although they have to be scheduled, I've never been charged.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 1:58pm

After looking at both pictures there is nothing wrong with your nose.

I can see what you mean about having a long face from the frontal picture, but as you point out the long striaght hair accentuates its length.

I would suggest taking it up to chin length and incorporating a fringe of some sort as a starting point. 

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 1:36pm
Thanks for your input. Here is a front picture:

It's not the most recent, but I don't think I look much different than I do now. (The only difference now is that my hair is a bit shorter and it's not dyed).

I feel that I have a somewhat long face - and very long hair will make it look longer. Still, short hair probably wouldn't help, either.

shorthairissexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairissexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 1:16pm
By your description I expected a lot worse when I looked at your pic.  Your chin certainly doesn't look prominent to me.  Do you have any front pics?  Hard to make a call on it.  There are options for people with not delicate facial features but I think 'Brent offered the best advice.  A hiarstylist should not charge for a consultation - call ahead and make an appointment - you might want to bring some ideas with you (pictures).
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 12:57pm
Thanks, Brent. I might try that.

One question, though - will it cost me to see a hairstylist just for a consultation?
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 11:57am
Welcome to the boards!

My answer would be to go to a hairstyling professional.
Go to a good hairstylist and have him or her show you different photos of short hairstyles that would look good on you.

Best wishes lady!

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 09 2006 at 11:59am
Brent
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 10:30am
Hello, everyone -

I know you probably see tons of questions like this, so your patience with me is very much appreciated.

My current problem is this: I am toying with the idea of getting my hair cut very short. This decision is something I'm not taking lightly. I'm giving it a ton of thought, and I need good input, because I don't want to do something I'll regret. (I've gone from long hair to bobs and while I initially loved it, I always ended up regretting it).

My hair is just past shoulder-length. It is very fine and wavy. I usually blow-dry it straight every day. Humidity makes it very frizzy. I would love to have long hair, but thruthfully, I get so sick and tired of fighting with my hair. It's so tempting to just lop it all off. If I did cut it all of, it would mostly be for convenience. However, I don't want to pay the price by looking hideous.

My main concern with doing that is my face shape and my features. I would say that my face shape is a mix between heart and oblong. I have a prominent nose and let's just say that my chin isn't exactly "delicate".

So my question is....would it be a major no-no for someone with my features to have very short hair? I have a feeling the answer is yes. But can it ever be pulled off?

Thanks for any input you can give!

Here's a profile picture of me:

Edited by fickle - July 09 2006 at 11:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic