Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

big nose + short hair: can it be done?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:32pm
I went to a salon for a consultation yesterday. The whole thing lasted UNDER five minutes. The stylist lady was pleasant enough, but I felt like she was rushing me.

I told her I wanted to go short but that I wasn't sure what would work best with my hair type and features. She suggested I go no shorter than about an inch below my ears, and she also suggested layers. She held up the back of my hair and said "See this? I would cut all this off." (It looked scraggly, which is odd, because I get it trimmed regularly). She also remarked that I have a long face, and that really long hair will make it look longer, but too-short hair would be bad, so she re-iterated something bob-length would be best.

Then I went to Borders and bought a short hairstyle magazine for ideas. There are maybe 3 or so cuts I've seen so far that I love, but I they're too short. Possible short-hair hazard - hair could mushroom up. Ugh. I so wish I had a pixie face so I could just hack it all off.

I'm torn between going for it and not caring if it's less-than-flattering, and being extremely, extremely cautious. Contemplating seeing another stylist, but I won't be surprised if I'm rushed again.

Today was uber-humid. I wanted to shave my head out of sheer frustration. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!

Thanks again for all the input, everyone!

Edited by fickle - July 14 2006 at 6:33pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 7:59pm
I'm so sorry that your consultation was, shall we say, less than desirable.  

Originally posted by fickle fickle wrote:

I'm torn between going for it and not caring if it's less-than-flattering, and being extremely, extremely cautious.

I think this is where many people may get into trouble.  You really have to decide what is ultimately more important for you, to have a haircut that is truly the most flattering for you or to simply cut it real short so that you don't have to deal with it.  And the answer is....something only YOU can decide and no one else.
shorthairissexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairissexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 10:35pm
I would try another consultation (different salon)if you are undecided.  My wife use to wear a longish pixie that one stylist gave her (I loved it).  Unfortunately, the stylist quite to become a full time mom.  When she went to another stylist, she said that she should never wear anything shorter than a chin length bob (her current look - boring).  While I know stylist learn what styles work best with certain features, I still think they "side" with their personal preferences (just human nature).  Good luck, keep us posted.
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:59am
Yes, try another consultation. And if the stylist told you that you would look in a short bob cut, as opposed to long hair or an ultra-short pixie, then maybe you could try that!
Best wishes lovely lady!
Brent
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:33am

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your consultation, but it actually sounds like she gave you some good advice.  The thing is, if you start out with a bob, you can always go shorter.   With your hair type and features, I think a chin length, layered bob would work really well.  The fullness around your face would make it appear less long. 

Definitely get another consultation, but I think it's a good idea to go short in stages.  And you might just find that a bob is a great look for you.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:18am
Short in stages might be the way to go.  I did that and ended up ultra short but it took me some time to get there.  It gives you and everyone around you the chance to get used to you without the hair without such a drastic change all at once.  I kept going shorter and shorter because I just really didn't like the inbetween cuts.  I tried an inverted bob with stacked back and really hated it.  I had to get used to the idea of what was actually right for my face, not just something I liked on other people.  That is real important when you are going short.  Try another consultation.  If you get the same advise I would say that maybe they are right.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:47am
I'll pile on agree. Look in the magazine and pick out a bob cut similar to what the stylist recommended and the pixie you'd love to have. Go see another stylist and ask him/her what he/she thinks. Then whip out the magazine and tell him, "this is the cut I'm told I should have. This is what I want. What do you think?"

If she says the bob, get that. Live with it a while. If you like it, keep it. If not, go shorter. The only way to see if the short pixie works is to try it. If it doesn't work, grow it back out to the bob. I don't think either cut will look bad on you, but what you feel looks good is all that matters.
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 10:00am
Thanks, everyone. It's great to have feedback from several different people, and I appreciate the fact that it's all been pretty objective.

I will probably schedule another consultation or two, take in the pictures, and see how it goes.

I'm not making any moves I'll regret!
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:23pm
Fickle,
It is our pleasure. Glad we could be of assistance. You seem like a delightful young lady! Best wishes in your desire for a new short hairstyle. I know you will find a style that is right for you lovely lady!
Brent
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:24pm
And let us know what hairstyle you decide upon lovely lady!
Brent
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:42pm

Aw, thanks, Brent!

I have another consultation scheduled for Monday. We'll see how it goes. If and when I do get my hair cut, I'll post a picture.

fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

Short in stages might be the way to go.  I did that and ended up ultra short but it took me some time to get there.  It gives you and everyone around you the chance to get used to you without the hair without such a drastic change all at once.  I kept going shorter and shorter because I just really didn't like the inbetween cuts.  I tried an inverted bob with stacked back and really hated it.  I had to get used to the idea of what was actually right for my face, not just something I liked on other people.  That is real important when you are going short.  Try another consultation.  If you get the same advise I would say that maybe they are right.

I think this is a good idea to consider - going short in stages. I've had bobs before and I always felt bored with them - I'd rather have really long hair or really short hair, but in-between doesn't do much for me.
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 8:38pm

Hi, everyone -

I went for my second consultation today. The stylist was very friendly. She really listened to me and was positive, and gladly looked at all the pictures of hairstyles I was considering. She seemed to think that I could pull off a shorter cut.

I booked an appointment for le chopping on Thursday. What we decided on was it will be rather short in back (but softly done) and longer in front so as not to be too harsh with my face. The only problem is that I have bangs, and for the haircut to look really good they'll need to be grown out. Until then, I'll clip them back or use a headband.

Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 8:45pm
Fickle,
That's fantastic. You seem to have found a salon and hairstylist who knows what they are doing. Enjoy your day at the beauty salon lovely lady!
Brent
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 9:48pm
Hi, everyone!

Got my hair cut this evening! You can see it (along with a bunch of other random photos, if you like) here:

It's not quite as short as I wanted, but that's fine, as I can always go shorter later. I like it a lot; it looks rather 1920's to me. The stylist used a feather razor, which gave it a great piece-y look.

As soon as my bangs are grown out, it will be even better.

Thank you all again for your help!

Jamie

Edited by fickle - July 20 2006 at 9:49pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 10:03pm
Jamie, your hair looks great.  I'm glad that you like it also.  Another happy ending. 

I really liked your pictures of Germany; made me reminisce about my living there.  My last duty station was Stuttgart and I also lived in Heidelberg when I was younger.  I loved day tripping around Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, on the weekends.  So many beautiful things to see.
HAWG
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 1:28am

Your stylist has done a great job and the cut really suits you.

As you say you can tweak the cut on future visits to suit yourself - without having the dilemna of making the transition from long to short.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 5:34am
I quite like it! Very stylish. It works for you lovely lady!
Brent
verybored View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verybored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:16pm
Your new cut reallly looks very good indeed.
fickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:27pm
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It feels really nice to have all that scraggly mess off the back of my neck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic