Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question ?
    Posted: July 13 2006 at 11:56pm
I have two actually.

1. Can you substitute push ups for weight training?

2. I am doing crunches, obliques, push ups, and squats. I have read that you have to do cardio to burn the fat though. I HATE running and I LOVE swimming but that doesn't get my heart rate up. The only cardio I get is dancing around my room to my Fall Out Boy cd which is fun but I don't know if it really is cardio.

Jumping on my bed is great! It's fun and it works my calves, thighs, and gets my heart pumping so hard! It works better that a trampoline! I can't do it alot though because of my parents.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Precious Girl Precious Girl wrote:

1. Can you substitute push ups for weight training?

Both are designed to strengthen muscles.  The answer to your question could be yes or no, depending on exactly what you're substituting.

Quote 2. I am doing crunches, obliques, push ups, and squats. I have read that you have to do cardio to burn the fat though.

No, not necessarily.  What cardiovascular exercise does is exercise your heart, which is extremely important.  You could technically burn fat by only eating two Snickers bars a day.  However, you'd also burn a lot of muscle and be malnourished. 

Quote I HATE running and I LOVE swimming but that doesn't get my heart rate up.

Quick fix -- swim faster!  If you have proper technique, you should be able to get a great cardio workout by swimming.

Quote The only cardio I get is dancing around my room to my Fall Out Boy cd which is fun but I don't know if it really is cardio.

It completely depends on your heartrate.  Take your pulse, and if you're in the target heartrate for 30 minutes, then you've had a good workout for your heart.

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 4:40pm
Dancing is great cardio. Ad some wrist and Ankle weights and you'll be amazed at the results.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 4:52pm
Hey I discover a great way to get my cardio. Which by the way, yes you do need cardio to loose weight. Cardio not only exercises your heart, it burns calories and enhances your metabolism. Combining it with the strength training produces faster and better results since muscles need to burn calories to maintain themselves. The the more muscle you build the more calories you'll burn. You'll be burning calories even when you are not working out. So work those muscles girl.

Anyway I was thinking about you, because I hate cardio too. Not because of the workout itself. I have alot of endurance. But I get so bored. I don't have a gym membership anymore so I have to use the gym in my complex. Which is fine, exept I can't have my step classes wich I love, and is the only cardio that doesn't bore me. I just can't stand pedaling that eliptical trainer or walking on that treadmill for 60 minutes. It just seems forever.

But resently I decided to try something new. There is a racket ball court in my complex. I had never played, but I figured what the heck all just try to hit the ball as much as I can. And even if I end up just chasing it around, well, it will still burn calories. I do have agility since I used to be a volley ball player.

Well, it turns out I love it. Not only I'm I learning how to play and getting better everyday, I'm burning tons of calories and don't get bored at all. Granted, the fist 3 days it kicked my butt to the point where I could not walk. But now I have built so much resistance I play about 2 hours a day and don't even notice. That's how entertained I am. My core muscles are getting stronger too, which is great because I hate woking my abs.

Give that a try if you access to a racket ball court. Maybe you'll like it. Is a great work out and you will feel it in every muscle (specially your gluts and legs.

Much love, Shary!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic