Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad hair day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad hair day
    Posted: July 14 2006 at 12:08am
When people who wear their hair medium to long have a bad hair day, the remedy is relatively simple.  We just gather the hair in a ponytail or a higher ponytail and wrap it around in an updo.

I've never worn my hair short, but I wonder what you do to combat a bad hair day besides the obvious solution of covering it up with a hat or scarf?
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 3:02pm
Headbands - Especially wide ones.  Great for covering up all sorts of bad hair days! (Also good in the rain cause it covers up any frizziness).
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 3:10pm
Thanks Skydancer, I never thought about headbands!
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:04pm
It depends how short of a hairstyle you wear.
If it is an ultra-short pixie, it is too short to have a bad hair day, assuming you wash it so it looks clean.
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by SanFranBrent SanFranBrent wrote:

It depends how short of a hairstyle you wear.
If it is an ultra-short pixie, it is too short to have a bad hair day, assuming you wash it so it looks clean.

That's true, when there's not even enough hair to style, then it will always look the same.  That's probably why a lot of short-haired men don't understand why some women take longer in the bathroom!  No doubt that real short styles don't require much time.
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:55am
Anne,
 I am in the process of growing my hair long, and I have had long hair before. So I know what long haired men and women go through.

What really takes women so long to get ready though is shaving their legs and putting on their eyeliner, mascara, makeup, lipstick.
The short haired women in particullar really get into dolling themselves up. They take longer to get ready than some of the long haired ones do! Because their face, ears, etc. isn't covered by hair, they have to make certain their pretty faces look good.
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 7:43pm

The short haired women in particullar really get into dolling themselves up. They take longer to get ready than some of the long haired ones do! Because their face, ears, etc. isn't covered by hair, they have to make certain their pretty faces look good.

This is perplexing.  If women feel confident and feminine in their short hair (and they should), why do they feel (or be made to feel) compelled to wear more make-up and jewelry?  Their short hair is supposed to make them feel good about themselves, not make them feel like they have to go to extra lengths to look pretty.  Yet, in many magazines, there are articles about how to make short hair look feminine.  If I wore short hair, I'd be insulted.

Women seem to be getting two messages:  1) cut your hair because you'll look so beautiful and feminine, but 2) because of the loss of hair, be sure to wear lots of make-up and jewelry, and wear a dress and heels so we won't forget you're a woman.

It just doesn't make sense.   Feminine and beautiful hair, whatever the length or style, should make a woman look and feel her best without making her feel she has compromised her attractiveness.

Edited by anne6000 - July 16 2006 at 8:54pm
Snuggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snuggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:05pm
I agree, Anne.  I've bouyed, over the last 6 years or so from extremely long hair to very short (I've never felt that either is really any more flattering for me, in particular). After my recent cut, I have a hispanic christian fundamentalist I work with  (that section of christianity maintains rules on appearance, including that women should wear their hair long, never cut it, and wear skirts) remind me everyday about how unattractive I am now.

To each his own - when its 100 degrees outside and it takes you an hour with a hot iron and blow dryer to complete your style, it gets old.

To answer your original question,  for an uncooporative hair day, I tend to just let it go the naturally curly is :) If its an especially bad day, some hair clips or a barely-there ponytail work just as well :)
**Starving Actor** --Will Work For Peanuts!
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:14pm
What you ladies say is true, a short haired woman is just as feminine and attractive as a long haired woman, sometimes even more so, without dressing ultra-feminine or always wearing makeup and jewelry.

However, just about every short haired woman I have known, (with a few exceptions), gets very into dressing feminine and really dolling themselves up.
The short haired women I know rarely go out without their makeup on, without a pair of earrings, they often wear dresses or skirts, etc..
It just sort of comes with the territory.
I don't believe it is to compensate for not having long hair, I believe it is because you can see a woman's feminine features so well without long hair in the way, that these short haired ladies like to accentuate their femininity, and some of these short haired women look adorable all dolled up.
At any rate, for whatever reason, I enjoy it.
To me their is nothing more sexy and beautiful than an attractive feminine woman with a short hairstyle all dolled up in a beautiful, feminine fashion style.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 16 2006 at 9:24pm
Brent
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:18pm
Snuggles.
If that fundamentalist religious woman is giving you a bad time, or insinuating that you are less attractive, I would tell her to shove it.
She seems like she belongs to one of those cult-like, religious nutcase churches.
If she keeps bothering you, tell her she is a religious nutcase who belongs to an absurd religious cult. Maybe then she won't be rude to you like that.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 16 2006 at 9:30pm
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Snuggles Snuggles wrote:

After my recent cut, I have a hispanic christian fundamentalist I work with  (that section of christianity maintains rules on appearance, including that women should wear their hair long, never cut it, and wear skirts) remind me everyday about how unattractive I am now.

And that's supposed to be Christian behavior?  However,  more to the point, a co-worker should not be making any personal comments to you at all, especially negative ones.  In fact, many would deem that harassment, and you should not have to put up with it.  If the person says that you are somehow going against God's word, you could also label the harassment as religious, as well.

I'm sorry that you have to be exposed to someone who is such a total a--hole.  You're a very pretty girl, no matter what length of hair you have.

However, just about every short haired woman I have known, (with a few exceptions), gets very into dressing feminine and really dolling themselves up.

The underlying reason is what's important.  They should never be made to feel as though they have to do it because their natural beauty without much hair hair isn't enough, but that's the message that a lot of women receive.  They should feel beautiful and confident about their hair without a lot of extra cosmetics.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:23pm

Snuggles.
If that fundamentalist religious woman is giving you a bad time, or insinuating that you are less attractive, I would tell her to shove it.

SCREW THAT! I say tie her in a chair and take a #2 guard and buzz her down! Then taper, taper, taper............

ACID BARBERSHOP!

Sorry I couldn't resist!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:36pm
Oh my, Claude --  you naughty boy.     You shouldn't cause too much excitement around here or who knows what is liable to happen!

That was pretty hilarious. 

Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 11:12pm
Haha!
Claude,
Yes, if she is so proud of her long hair, and so arrogant and self-righteous towards others, that just might do the trick!

Anne,
The women I know with short hairstyles don't feel in any way inferior or less feminine than long haired women, because they know they are not less attractive or less feminine. They just like dolling themselves up and looking feminine and beautiful.
But I have always lived in major metropolitan areas where a sizeable  percentage of the women wear short hairstyles.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 16 2006 at 11:14pm
Brent
Snuggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snuggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 11:19pm

And that's supposed to be Christian behavior?  However,  more to the point, a co-worker should not be making any personal comments to you at all, especially negative ones.  In fact, many would deem that harassment, and you should not have to put up with it.  If the person says that you are somehow going against God's word, you could also label the harassment as religious, as well.

I'm sorry that you have to be exposed to someone who is such a total a--hole.  You're a very pretty girl, no matter what length of hair you have.

I appreciate that... even worse, though - its a man  Personally, I could care less. I actually told him to go f*** himself - in those exact words. :D Later it was just kinda like... gee, boss man = I just don't know what got into me !!! 
**Starving Actor** --Will Work For Peanuts!
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 12:08am
Snuggles,
They are right. If he continues bothering you, that could be considered religious harassment. You could talk to a lawyer and he could be in trouble for that.
Brent
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Snuggles Snuggles wrote:

I appreciate that... even worse, though - its a man

That's actually what I thought.  You didn't specify, so I didn't make assumptions.

I hope the comments disappear quickly.  If not, document everything -- the exact time and place where the comment was given, what the comment was, and who was around when it was uttered.

All the best to you.

Edited by anne6000 - July 17 2006 at 6:35am
MReader99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MReader99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 5:47pm
I so agree Anne, good post!

Rob
MReader99
hnich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 10:29pm

I agree with sanfran about the makeup, ever since I got my haircut short I've liked to play around with makeup more...

that doesn't mean I think I need it any more, it's just the makeup looks so much more vibrant and fresh with a short cut! My face is out there, and I like to see it dressed up sometimes and I really think that short hair is great for people who like to play with makeup

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 3:27am
I'm not a make-up girl, so I seldom wear more than a little lip gloss, unless it's a special occasion (or sometimes if I know I'll be in pictures).  With earrings, I can wear anything from tiny studs to dangly chandeliers, depending on my mood.  Sometimes I'll wear hair accessories like clippies, pins, bands, etc. and sometimes I'll go plain.  I'm not really concerned with whether people see me as feminine or masculine, though.  *shrugs*  I'll just be myself without worrying about anyone else's expectations.

On the original topic, what I do on bad hair days varies with how bad a hair day it is.  If there's just a random bit standing up here and there I'll stick it down with a little gel or pin it down with a clip.  If it's too bad for that I might wear a hat or wig.  If it's really bad and I have a little more time, sometimes I'll give it a quick wash and start over from a clean slate.
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic