Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

elegant look for short hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmc12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: elegant look for short hair
    Posted: July 18 2006 at 6:11pm
Hi everyone,

Recently I had about 5 inches cut off so that now my hair is just above my shoulder.  I really needed it and it looks great--much fuller and healthier. 

However, my brother's wedding is in a couple of weeks and now I fear I may not have enough hair to put up.  It is an evening wedding, black tie, and I'm wearing a dress very evocative of the 1940s.  I'd like something elegant, but also something that will last all night since I'll be in pictures and my hair, which tends to be on the fine side, can fall unless I spray the heck out of it.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good look?  Pictures would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!@
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:27pm
It seems it isn't long enough to wear in an updo.
Why not use a hair accessory of some sort, and wear a fashion neckscarf, or tie a fashion scarf into your hair.
Also, of course, along with the beautiful dress, wear other nice accessories, like a beautiful pair of earrings.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 18 2006 at 10:31pm
Brent
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 11:20pm
dmc:

You should be able to get styling tips and pictures by Googling 'chignon' or 'french twist hairstyle'.  If your hair is just above you shoulders and not layered, you should be able to fashion an elegant looking twist or a chignon without much trouble.  The biggest problem you'll have is gathering up the shorter pieces underneath and keeping them under control.  You can do this with an abundance of pins or use combs and smooth the stray hairs in with pomade. 

Solicit the help of a friend to do your hair.  Better still, make an appointment to go to the salon and get pampered the day of your brother's wedding.   You'll probably be doing lots of running around with family and in the days before; showers, rehearsal dinner, etc.  It would make an ideal time to de-stress and just chill for a while.

This may not be exactly the 40's look you're after but it's an option for styling shorter hair into a more formal look.  Pull the hair up from the nape, twist and pin to secure it.  Then, work on the rest...

SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 2:47am
That is a nice looking updo hairstyle in that photo. It is cute, attractive, feminine, sexy! Lovely!
Brent
browneyedgirl83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyedgirl83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:07pm
or if you are really wanting to go 1940s... set your hair in curlers (or have it done...) part it on the side... and go oldschool bombshell! Think Marilyn Monroe!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic