Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color Disaster HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pixiedust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiedust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color Disaster HELP!
    Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:23pm
What I have at this very moment: lt/med. brown/orange roots, with some streaks of med brown and some streaks of  lt/med brown/orange roots.

How I got here:

1) Six months ago had a color (med brown) and highlight (caramel) done at a salon. Colorist overprocessed and severaly damaged my hair. NEVER again will I let someone else do my color!

2) 2 monthls later applied a semi-permanent med brown to cover the ugly brassy highlights and emerging grey hairs.

3) One month later, another semi-permanent because the last one washed out.

4) Last week I decided that hair was healthy now (after cutting off over 6 inches) and ready for permanent color. First used ColorFixx to remove old color build up. Then used a neutral protein filler.

5) Applied Ion Color Brilliance #4RC-5.4 Medium Copper Brown using 20 Volume Ion Developer. RESULT: Roots were LIGHT AUBURN!  and the rest of my hair was med. copper brown. How my virgin roots lifted to such a light and awful color I have no idea.

6) Applied colorfixx again to remove all color. My roots of course are even lighter and more orange now as to be expected.

What I want to do is have a UNIFORM color. I don't want to end up with hot roots again.  What went wrong and how can I avoid this happening again? Any advice would be appreciated so I don't have to spend the rest of the night in tears.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:15am
Your hair was probably yellow or light orange from the colorfixing? The red shows up more on the lighter hair, and your ends were more porous from the previous dye jobs and colorfixing so absorbed more of the brown color than the root area did.  If you want to do it yourself, its always a good idea to do a test strand, or several, to help you see what parts of your hair may react in what ways, and you can leave the dye longer on some parts than others.  Now that you've colorfixed again, your roots may very well be more porous and come out almost as brown as your ends, but test strand anyway to make sure.  Your ends probably will still come out darker, but may fade after a few weeks to match the rest.  (Wash your test strand a bunch of times to observe this effect - and be aware that even permanant dye is going to wash out of porous hair faster than it would otherwise, so it may fade to color you won't like, and its worth washing that test strand a bunch to see what's going to happen down the road).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
pixiedust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiedust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:39am
Yes, my hair is now sort of orange, actually more orange at the roots and the rest of my hair is an orangy brown. What really threw me about the whole thing is how the original dye turned my roots light auburn when it should have been a nice medium copper brown. Never again will I use Ion hair coloring.

I suspect you are right that my roots will be more porous now. Someone told me that I could try to use a color tube of semi-perm (just the color) prior to using a perm color as a filler to get better results. Is this something you have heard of doing? It honestly never occured to me but sounds like it could work.
dml01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dml01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:50pm
This is exactly what I was doing a search on when I was led to this website!

I have the same problem, but I had my hair professionally done.  This has happened at 2 salons now.  I will be calling the salon tomorrow, but I was doing a search to see what my options even are.  I don't want them to have to strip my color totally and start again, but I look like an idiot with an inch of really red roots and the rest of my hair darker.  I swear, I am ready to shave my head...
pixiedust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiedust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:39am
Well, I don't know if this will help you or not dml01, but I just called the ION help line and this is what I found out:

She said that red colors sometimes cause "hot roots" because your scalp produces heat, making the root area process faster. Her solution to this is to apply red colors about three inches from the root first, then applying to the root area for the remaining 20 minutes to get a uniform color.

Since I colorfixxed to remove the color, she also said that using a neutral brown would cover it uniformlly, or I could mix 2 1/2 oz of neutral color with 1 oz of the red color to get just a hind of red and that doing it that way would also produce a uniform result.

Edited by pixiedust - July 28 2006 at 10:00am
dml01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dml01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 10:07am
Well, what you are saying goes with a lot of stuff I have read in my frantic Googling for information about my freak-show hair. But it seems so counterintuitive to me---why would I leave color on longer where it is already too dark and shorter on the areas that I want to darken up?

I haven't been able to call the salon yet because my (male) officemate is in today and it's not really the kind of discussion I wish to have in front of him...

I had yet another crying fit about it this morning, though, so I really have to do something!

Thanks for the info, and good luck with your hair!
dml01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dml01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 11:15am
OK, I just talked to the salon. Their offer was for me to come and see the same person and see what she suggests or can do to fix it.

I'm a little uneasy about that---I mean, she is the one who messed it up to begin with, right, so why would I give her another go at it?

Sigh. I guess I can go and if I don't like what she has to say, I won't let her touch it, right? Dang, did I mention that I am about to leave on vacation for 5 days? It's now or live with this for another week. Help!

Sorry, I just realized I am hijacking your thread...
pixiedust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiedust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:51am
dml01, what did the salon say?

Just an FYI for you:

I picked up 2 tubes of Ion Color Brilliance in Medium Brown (neutral) and one in the Medium Copper Brown. I mixed 2 oz of the Medium Brown, 1 oz of the copper with 3 oz of the 20vol developer and applied it to my entire head for 30 minutes. I now have a mostly uniform color, although the roots are still slightly lighter (hardly noticible unless you are looking for it).  It looks very nice and is a wonderful medium brown with shots of copper highlights running through it. I just love it and I am so happy the neutral color corrected this mess.

Don't give up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic