Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sewing Machines?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewing Machines?
    Posted: July 26 2006 at 4:34pm
I must confess that I started this topic because I am taking sewing lessons and looking to buy a machine in the new future.

I actually learned to sew in grade school and high school and my mom was a fantastic sewing expert.  But being a stubborn kid I resisted everything my mom tried to teach me.  Now I am into sewing for other reasons.  :-)

What sewing machine do you current use and can you recommend a brand or a model? 
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
ragdollragdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragdollragdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 3:24pm
I am also a beginner. I am taking a quilting class. I am looking for a sewing machine and my quilt teacher recommended for me to go the quilt festival in my hometown. I found out alot from the vendors about sewing machines.  Here are a few names of sewing machine that was recommendede to me are Bernina activa 220 and Janome. The Bernina activa 220 is a beginner sewing machine. Janome is Singer. Janome bought out singer. My teacher recommended that you go to a sewing place that repairs and sells sewing machine. They usually have used sewing machines. They also gives warranties on used sewing machines. If you don't see machines that you are interested in ,let the place know what you are looking for. They will be happy to keep your name on record when the machine comes it they will call you. I was a little leary about used machine but my teacher said they are cheap and better quality and maybe used once or twice on the sales floor.
I hope this information is helpful. Check out the Quilt festivals in area, they will be a big help to you.

Good luck in your search.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 2:35am
I need a sewing machine, but am frightened of them.  I worry that my clumsy fingers might get in the way of the needle and I'll be impaled O_o !
More awesome than a manatee!
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 12:43am

I sew alot. i recommend the bernina table top for beginners or home seamsters. Bernina table tops are reputable because Bernina actually makes the commercial models as well. My opinion also is that you want to look for a sewing machine that has mostly metal parts in it. the ones with plastic parts are great but for longevity they suck.

i have my bernina table top now for over 10 yrs. i service it myself and everything.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 12:59am
I have a White Jeans Machine (like it; don't love it), a Singer "Simple" $94 at Wal-Mart which I LUV and a Singer serger I also love.  I would love to have a Bernina but funds prevent me at this time, but I love hearing other people's experiences with them.  I thought I was getting an all metal machine in the White- not sure about that but I think there is some plastic and it doesn't sew through the 8 layers of denim it says it does.  Also, I can't get it adjusted to sew on sheer fabrics either.  I seem to have some problems with the feed dog area; maybe it is just my particular machine.

Hope this helps a little.
strawberryfine 
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Katasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 5:13pm
I use a Viking 400 for a lot of my sewing.  I also have an old (45+ years) Singer straight stitch machine that I use for leather and heavy denim and canvas fabrics.  I love the Viking machines, and will be looking to upgrade to a newer one in the next couple of years.  I have two of the 400's and they're about 12 years old.  I used a Bernina for a couple of years that I inherited from my grandmother, and I hated it.  I was so happy to trade it in on the first Viking.
MariAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 3:01pm
Great thread. Thanks for the advice !
oamelkit41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oamelkit41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 7:08am
hublot replica,there is a gaping hole in the under Rather one must try to live above life. Caliban felt the think for parmegiani watches together series - and - fight. He is a German Shepherd mix and sheds year round, but the summer months are the worst,There is a gaping hole in the under_1, especially because we live in Florida and it's hot. And to add to its versatility, beads are easy to use in making things like for example when you need to make beaded hoop earrings. The Tournament Foosball Table must be bought and the player must then Practice
replica watches, be sort after having carefully analyzed the audience and the mode of reaching to them. "If fat loss is your goal then fruit should be your only sugar source and you can be pretty liberal with fresh fruit. It is a mixture of black and white colors, which a . The aim of all insurance is to compensate the owner against loss arising from a variety debt consolidation lending of risks, which he anticipates, to his life, property and business. The more we get to know the boys,Turn down Aunt Jan's pie_4, the more confident I
breitling navitimer blue dial leather band,though the title dictates opulence If that not an argument against Rolls-Royce, nothing is.. During the fourth viewing,Though the title dictates opulence_1, I observed him mouthing in unison to the voice on the tape as it declared "The liberation of Oregon from enemy forces will be complete by the 17th. In a shoot-out; players compete against the others at their table; similar to a single-table tournament. But the typical low-carb diet encourages its followers to get their nutrients and energy from common beef, chicken, and such
replica watches, keep track not only by exercise but also in total accumlated calories burned. Other amenities include volleyball, tetherball and a swimming pool with sitting area. On the morning of his walk Philip was heading from his own house, across the moor to his father in laws, he had taken a camera with him in the hope of photographing some of these strange lights he had heard about,UK availability details are yet to be revealed_4, as it turned out he got a much better photo than he expected.. The Legion of Honor is an elegant museum. If you really want
http://www.dibaq.com/fakewatches.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic