Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chinese bumps - is it true it damages your hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese bumps - is it true it damages your hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese bumps - is it true it damages your hair
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 12:08am

Does anyone know if this damages the hair at all.

i was my hair every 2 days and do then the bumps.
thoughts anyone?
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
longhairgrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairgrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 3:39pm
What are Chinese Bumps? Is that a type of hairstyle?
longhairgrower

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 7:35pm
Lauryn Hill used to wear them.
I don't know how to describe them but here is how you do them

Create china bumps or Nubian knots

1. Part the hair into 1 inch sections (smaller for small bumps)

2. Twist the sectioned hair around your finger to create a twist

3. Take the twist and coil it around itself (think of winding thread on a spool) until it forms a knot or bump

4. Tuck the end into the base of the knot or pin in place.

The sister in the middle of the 1st column looks like she is wearing them.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
KeishaNSU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeishaNSU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 11:01pm

They are called bantu knots, but they could have various names as well but I wouldn't think they would damage your hair becasue it's a protective hair style. I guess long as your not doing them too tight. I am not too sure the ladies on the board could fill you in better than I can though.

Sweet_Ambrosia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet_Ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 11:34pm
I wear bantu knots as one my protective styles, my hair hasnt suffered any damage by wearing them. As long as you keep your hair moisturized there shouldnt be any problems.
*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 2:01pm
It will only damage your hair if its pulled too tight when you are wrapping the hair around itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 7:13pm
Thanks for the tips. i am finding i just can't get the ends of my hair to stop breaking off. i was doing the bumps and still saw breakage. but i must have been doing it too tight.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 10:12am
Hey Kellie,
  What do you secure the ends with...do u use rubber bands or bobbypins or what?

Also, I was wondering, maybe you are manipulating the hair too much.  Taking it down every 2 days and do it again, and again and if your ends are tucked in some kind of way that may just be too much friction for your ends....might want to try bantuing less or wearing the style longer or try to use different materials to keep them in.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 12:07pm
cmesweet - i'm using the hair to tuck it in. and i would take it down when i am going out to use it for a curly style.
i don't comb it or anything, i just do the bantu again using only my fingers to separate the hair.
i have been doing the pre-poos using castor oil/coconut oil/evoo and something a little conditioner or none at all. sometimes i put in a few drops of lavender. 2x a week.

i am starting to grow out my hair and i am only 2 months in. about 5 inches of my hair is straightened. and i have about 2 inches of new growth.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic