Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ugly little white marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ugly little white marks
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 12:57am
What are those white marks on nails that some people get on there nails is that a vitamin def. like maybe they need more calcium or something?
Babycheeks
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 1:06am
nevermind someone in my family just told me it means you need more zinc not calcium.

Edited by babycheeks24 - August 02 2006 at 1:07am
Babycheeks
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 9:30am
Actually it's neither.  White marks (called leukonychia) on the nail are from minor traums - like banging your nails.  People who use their hands a lot generally have more.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 3:54pm
From what I've read, white marks aren't necessarily a result of just one cause.  There could be a number of reasons why they are that way, and both zinc deficiency and minor trauma are frequently thought by doctors to be two of the possible causes.
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 8:48am
Generally, if there is any kind of deficiency, it will show up on *all* your nails and usually the entire nail is white, not just random spots.  Nails are mostly protein - both calcium and zinc are present in less than 1/10% of the nail and deficiencies show up bodily before they show up in your nails. The only time white spots may be a cause for concern is if you have them on *all* your nails - a lot - and you arent overly rough on your hands.  Then you need to see a doctor because certain heart problems can cause that to happen. 
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 3:29pm
Also: don't be fooled into buying nail polish that promises to fill in your deficincies. It all comes from the inside so be sure you're getting enough of all you need.
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Riku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 10:50pm
I Remember Getting White Marks on my nails from when i was little i would always bang my nails against the metal fence bars it stayed for a few years i suppose but has now left. i actually took it as a good thing and something "unique" about me weirdly...
anjelinah01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjelinah01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 8:33am
I second nail diva!! I'm a nail tech here in oz... so many people believe the white spots are calcium or vitamin deficiencies!! Not the case!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic