Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THE BEST FLAT IRON EVER!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balenciagababe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balenciagababe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE BEST FLAT IRON EVER!
    Posted: August 08 2006 at 1:43pm
hi,
i want to know what everybody thinks the best flat iron is.
im in the market for a new one, and i have NO BUDGET and would like to know what the BEST FLAT IRON IS on the market today! a chi? a sedu? something else??
please help!!!
thanks
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 9:17pm
Wigo Jade hands down. runs about $200.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:53pm
Go with Solia or Sedu and save yourself the money. Wigo sucks and so does Chi, and really dries out your hair. Try the ones mention above from Folica.com. They give you 30 days to try them, so if you don't like them you can always return them.  I just recently posted two new reviews there, with my little nieces pictures, before and after I used my Sedu on them. Check it out. It is under the customer reviews for the 1 1/2 inch Sedu, and it has my nickname on it (Shary). Check it out and judge for yourself.
Denise Kingsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Kingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 8:29am
I have used, professionally, several expensive brands, and for the money, I prefer the CHI. I know some people do not care for it.
They have even heat, nice rounded corners, and clean easily.
I do not like any of the cheap ones. I used those 6 or 7 years ago and they are junk. Do not waste your money on them.

I think part of the success of flat ironing hair is in the technique. My suggestion is to follow the comb with the iron. Some irons make an attachment for their irons, but I have not tried them.

I section the hair, comb through the section with a regular comb, take a slice, comb that slice, then slide the comb down the hair followed by the iron. All at the same time, making sure not to stop.
Make sure to use a heat protector spray. Protects the hair and makes the "slide" easier.
Denise Kingsley
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:51am

I agree with Denise about technique being very important. I bought one of those brushes at Target, that look like a double paddle brush. You take the section of hair, put it between the paddles, and slide the brush down, followed by the iron. It works great. I have to buy another one since my little nephew broke mine LOL.

However, I have to disagree about the Chi. The Chi is actually cheaply made. Is is not ceramic, is just ceramic coated (if you're gonna charge me $120 you better make it real ceramic). Alot of people would agree with me, that after a while, it really dryes out your hair.  After a few months you will also notice that it doesn't heat up very well anymore. And the worst part is they have a tendency to short out quickly. Most people would tell you theirs shorted out within 7 to 9 months. It also does not have temperature control. To me, it is just not worth it.

I have tried many irons, including the $398 bioionic, which was crap. It couldn't get my hair half as straight as my Sedu. I tried my friend's Solia and loved it. They are both great irons and every one of my friends that owns a Chi after trying the Sedu, run to get one, or a Solia.
My other friend has an FHI which I have to say works pretty well, however I hear many people clomplaining that they break easily. And every time she wants me to do her hair, she wants me to do it with my Sedu.

I've had my Sedu for 2 years already. It has been dropped, I always wrap the cord around it, eventhough I know I shouldn't. Me and 2 of my sisters use it, and I also use it on my 2 nieces, and the thing works as well as the first day.
I would get a Solia the next time, because after trying my friend's I realized it had alot of things I like: it is a little heavier than the Sedu, which I like. It doesn't get hot on the outside. The Sedu gets super hot. It is rounded, which makes it easier to flip your hair under, or to curl it (eventhough I've mastered that with my Sedu). If you get it, get the 1" or the 1 1/4. Don't get the big one. It has those swivel plates and they are a pain.
Don't get a Corioliss, they short out very fast, don't get a T3, they break down easily
balenciagababe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balenciagababe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 2:50pm
yes im getting the sedu...i always thought the chi was all ceramic and i couldnt believe it when i found out it was only ceramic-coated!! anyway, thanks again for all of your help shary.
so excited cant wait til it comes!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 8:50pm
Glad I could help. Remember to use the Redken heat glide. It will make a world of difference, and experiment with the temperature of the iron until you figure out wich one is the right one for you.

Good luck and Great hair

Shary
~princess~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~princess~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2006 at 5:39am
GHD all the way!! These are great and come in all sorts of styles and sizes to suit your hair and needs. I dont know what id do without them!! They start from around £90
Smile
~*princess*~
Jacster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 12:27pm
or from 64.95 if you look around hard!!

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 1:57pm
GHD's have a tedency to short out, and they have no temperature control. IF you want a good iron for under $100.00 go with a Solia. They are really good.
palikane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palikane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 6:57pm
Best Flat Iron and No Budget? Solia.

Hands.
Down.

I have EXTREMELY thick hair. For a year I suffered with cheap flat irons where midday my hair would look greasy or unkept or all over the place. I bought the Solia about four months ago..

That thing is a dream. First time I used it it made my hair silky and smooth. Of course you have to use heat protectants and such...but I feel as if my hair is better protected. I personally got the 1 1/4 inch and now at school I'm considered the Perfect Hair Girl.

I like to soak in that every once in a while.
Buy it at Folica.com..you get a like little heat mat too..which is always good...considering I am so absent minded and accidently leave it on and it'll be protected and my desk won't have any more V marks.

hope I helped
liwarren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liwarren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 1:38pm
I must agree with the Sedu.  I have had a few Chi's and with long, thick, coarse hair the Sedu beats the Chi hands down.  I have had mine about 2 years now and couldn't live without it.Clap
Curious Sofa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Sofa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 9:34am
For me it's the Sedu.   I'm amazed at how little damage it has caused in 6 months of regular use.  
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 1:52pm
Yeap, 2 1/2 years and I'm still in love with my Sedu. The thing is just wonderful!!!!
kirstydonovan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstydonovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 5:48am
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to make people aware of breast cancer month and GHD are currently donating £10 for every pink straightener bought, why not buy one and then you can be doubly satisifyed that you are helping someone out and getting good hair!

Thanks

Kirsty
angsaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angsaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 9:42pm

Denise or Shary - Can you tell me the name of this double padded brush you are talking about.  I guess I can get it at Target?  Also what is a good heat protector spray to use?

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:33pm
Hi Angsaff,

The brush is made by Conair. I got mine at Target in the hair accesories isle. There are some good heat protectant sprays but sprays usually have alot of alcohol. I preffer to use Redken heat glide. Makes hair shiny and beautiful and lasts forever. If your heart is still set on a spray, I like Matrix Heat and Iron spray. You have to hold the bottle away from the hair, and just mist the hair with it. If you spray it directly on the hair, it will get sticky and nasty. I believe Sedu is also making a spray and the reviews are good, so you might want to try that one as well.

Anyway, good luck and great hair.
Shary

Edited by Sharyg11 - October 28 2007 at 10:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic