Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sunless Tanners and Breakouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunless Tanners and Breakouts
    Posted: August 12 2006 at 2:42am
Hello Folks,

Ok, here's the deal. I'm quite pale and I'd like to add some color to myself. All I hear are horror stories about tanning booths and damaging skin (also from regular sun exposure). So, the only thing I can figure would be to apply an sunless tanner.

Here's the problem: Color first of all is an issue. I'd want something that looks natural and isn't too drastic or orange-y. Another problem is that whenever I use these sunless tanners (even the ones made specifically for the face) I tend to break out. :(

Can someone please suggest to me a way to bring some color to my skin and not have to break out with zits in the process?

Thanks Guys!
Jessica
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 2:33pm
I'm not sure about what sunless tanner wouldn't cause breakouts, but have you tried the mystic tan or other spray booths?  I'm very white and it looks good on me.  Granted the first day it will seem dark (possible orangish to some people) since you can't shower for 4-5 hours after.  But after you shower some will come off and it should look good.  I guess for breakouts just wash your face more often and try proactive or something.  Prior to getting the sunless spray I exfoliate my face and body to clear pores so I'm not just spraying more into them.  Well, good luck.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by meli - August 12 2006 at 2:34pm
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 4:05am
Hey Meli,
 Thanks for the help/info. :) I appreciate it. I'll have to look into some places that offer the spray tan and find out how much it'll cost and everything.
As for breakouts, yeah I use ProActive already...so I guess we'll just have to see how that goes.

But thank you again! :)
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 3:27pm
Yoda, are you fair with pink or yellow/gold undertones?

I find that self tanners tend to look a bit more natural on those with gold undertones. Just a thought. I love Clairins Radiance Plus self-tanner. It's a gradual self-tanner that gives me a natural tan and no streaks. I love everything about it except the smell, but I guess that's par for the course with self-tanners.

Also, have you tried an oil-free self-tanner? The Jergens face product is oil free and I find that the subtle self-tanners look much better on fair skin.
Follow Your Bliss
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 4:03pm
Hi Cherryblsmgrl,
        I'm not too sure what my undertones are. I think I have yellow undertones...but sometimes my face can look a little pinky.

I'm gonna look into the Clarins Radiance you mentioned. :)

As far as whether the tanners I've used were oil-free...I thought they were. But now that you mention it, I don't recall if I checked the last one I used (a face tanner). I think I'm gonna buy the Jergens self-tanner today and keep up with using it and see how that works.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you for the help!!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 11:27pm
 I have always self-tanned cuz i dont want wrinkles and skin cancer either and am pretty darn pale! I dont use it on my face though. What i do,is use it on my body,and then just use a slightly darker foundation on my face with blush to look tan.
Mystic tan is great,but a little expensive.So,if you have to use a self tanner,pick one that says "light" anything darker will look orange. There are so many out there...I've tried a MILLION of them. I like Neutrogena the best though. But coppertone endless summer is great cuz it works in only 30 minutes.Perfect before a big event or something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic