Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blonde wants to go Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blonde wants to go Brown
    Posted: August 13 2006 at 4:47am
Hi! :)

Alrighty Folks... I'm back for more advice. I'm a natural strawberry blonde (which has darkened a bit over the years). I've highlighted my hair to basically the shade it was when I was a kid, which was more blonde with some red in it.

My darker reddish roots have been growing out more and more and I'm having some problems getting the bleach to take to my roots well enough for some reason. Any suggestions with that?

Now for the topic question: Since I am a strawberry blonde... I'd like to go back brown for Autumn (I've dyed my hair almost every shade of brown and even had it close to a black cherry color once). I would love to dye my hair a nice dark brown color, but I'm really trying to avoid having to strip the color out all over again (which I've had to do twice, because I went a little too dark with the color). So, if I could get some advice on this...that'd be great. I'm trying to get a decent shade of brown...that won't be too dark to where stripping the color out is necessary.

I'm considering darker low-lights over my current color...but eh, I just don't know.

Also, I'm pretty pale, so I'd need something that wouldn't have me looking too washed out or whatever, you know?

Looking to do this at home for a reasonable price, if possible.

Maybe something similar to this color....although I'm sure I probably can't have the darker bits. Maybe that's a little more on the blonde side  eh.

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Edited by Yoda - August 13 2006 at 5:04am
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 8:35pm
I think more of an ash/cool tone of blonde would look great on you vs the strawberry/warm. jmho
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 10:41pm
Hey Kelly,
 Thanks! :) Originally, that's what I wanted when I highlighted my hair. More of an ash blonde (no red tones, if possible). I was afraid it would look greenish though.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:45pm
Hi again!

Ok, real quick question. As I've said, I've got my somewhat darker (reddish) roots growing out on top ...and a lighter shade of blonde on the bottom.

For now, I'm just trying to balance it out. So I bought an Ash Blonde hair dye (Clairol Nice N Easy - #102 Natural Light Ash Blonde).

Since my roots are a little darker, should I start there/leave the color on my roots longer and then spread to the bottom later?
susiespearish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susiespearish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 3:38am
I agree with Kelly ,you'd look great with more ash tones. That's a great colour in the pic below on your original post.I don't think your going to change the colour of your roots with that Loving Care,at best it may add a slightly more ash tone but your just going to end up with reddish roots and a slightly asher blond ends.
You can't colour hair that already has colour on without it going too dark and damaging your hair so how about going to a salon just the once for them to give you a good base of a mid ash brown total colour and then you can add ash blond highlights as many or as few as you want as in the bottom pic.That way redoing your roots would require just one application of the ash brown and you could bring the blond in by refreshing your highlights regularly and using a blue based demi or a toner to keep the red out of the highlights inbetween.

Edited by susiespearish - August 23 2006 at 3:49am
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 2:45pm
Thank you susiespearish! :)

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to make it to the salon right now...

But if you think I'd be damaging my hair by going over it with the permanent blonde dye at home (especially since I'm looking to go brown within the next two months) I suppose I should wait then, yeah?
red legos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red legos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:00pm

i know this sounds as if it won't work.. and it shocked me too, because i thought my hair was beyond help. ..but my hair turned out exaclty how i wanted it and had an even color to it, from the root to the ends ..just go to sally's beauty store, if you have one near by you and ask someone for help. tell them exactly what you're wanting to do with your hair and what kind of results you're wanting out of it.

they helped me and knew exactly what i needed, in what color ..and even gave me a cheap deep conditioner. my total was around $10, and i figure ..thats about the same as an "expensive" brand of haircolor at walmart or walgreens or whatever ..but it's better for your hair and it will give you the results you want.

i mean i'm sure yours will be a bit more, price wise.. because you have longer hair .. that and the fact that i was only doing part of my hair.. since the underneath is brown ..and my hair is pretty short.. but it still shouldn't be too expensive.
good luck!

Edited by red legos - August 23 2006 at 6:04pm
susiespearish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susiespearish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:02pm
Hi Yoda.
            If your going to go brown in a short time then leave the blond dye alone and just use the time inbetween to get your hair in the best possible condition before you colour .
Please don't use Loving Care either,it really is pretty useless and harsh.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 10:29pm
Red Logos...Yeah, I do have a Sally Beauty Supply closeby. In fact, I went there the other day to get a price on the Miss Clairol dye (and to get an idea of what I'll need, since I'm looking to use that for when I go brown).
Asking a worker there does like a good idea. Thanks for that tip!

And susiespearish, thank you for your help and input as well! I'll leave it be until it's time to dye it brown.

Also, the dye that I have (gonna bring it back to the store since I won't need it) is Nice N Easy, not Loving Care. But it's made by the same folks I believe... Clairol. So I suppose it's all the same, yeah?

Edited by Yoda - August 23 2006 at 10:31pm
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 10:57pm
Yoda, I've been so much more impressed with Clairol's professional products that I bought at Sally's versus the stuff over the counter. I think the biggest thing is you can see the base of the colors. They don't tell you that stuff on the box.......any brand.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 3:46am
That's true. I suppose you would get a better result with a more professional product.

I heard that blue base colors take the red out, is that right? If so, what about the Blue/Violet based colors, do they do the same?

One other thing: Best and cheapest way to highlight hair that's going from blonde to brown...any thoughts?

(sorry to bombard you guys with questions. I'm just trying to make sure I have all the information I need so that I can get it right or as close to what I want as possible).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic