Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kiddie Perm vs Texturizer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiddie Perm vs Texturizer
    Posted: August 18 2006 at 4:40pm
Hi All,

I have been transitioning for about a year, I still have my relaxed ends, and I'm okay with it.  I would like to soften my roots.  I like having curly hair, (I wear a lot of roller sets and braidouts)  and bone straight relaxers were thinning my hair.

I was talking with my stylist and she suggested that I just get a kiddie perm, saying it was the same as a texturizer.

Is that true?  What product (relaxer, texturizer, texlax) should I use on my roots to soften my hair and loosen the my curl pattern on my 4a hair. 

Please help.  I would like to do it over the weekend or so.

Thanks
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 10:50pm
Hey Vanity3, did she recommend which one to use?

I would suggest you becareful with kiddie perms/straighteners. they are usually no-lye products, which if mixed with the lye relaxer could cause you some trouble.

I currently use a kiddie no lye relaxer beautiful beginnings, which it really helps to loosen the roots as long as you don't leave it in for very long. the longer you leave it in the straighter it gets.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
ladykaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:22am
Actually kiddie perms are just a mild/regular relaxer (bone straight) they leave in for a shorter time. A texturizer is more of a perm making your hair more curly the longer you leave it in.
If you still want to keep your natural hair. I use Baka Natural-laxer. It helps loosen the curl pattern, but it doesn't make it straight. I use it when I want to straighten my hair with a hot comb or before and after braids for strengthening. The only thing about it is that you have to really use a deep moisturizing conditioner after it is applied.
HTH
Last Relaxer: Mar 06
Transition Style: Braids
All Natural Goal: Jan 07
Type: 4b
Length: 2in-Nat/4in-Rel
Length Goal: Mid back(18in) 3yrs
My fotki
diversiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diversiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 4:03am
I'm sorry, I haven't posted for awhile because my hair is in braids and has been since April 2005. When I took out my braids this last time I texturized with the SCurl at home kit as I was having a hard time combing through my roots. For the first week or so, the curl patterned loosened, but then it went back to my natural natural hair pattern. Which is kinky, but soft as well. When I take out my braids again, I want to relax my hair pattern so I can get a comb through it but I don't want to relax my hair ever again, I only got about an inch of it left! Could you please explain to me what a Natural-laxer is and how it is different from a texturizer.
ladykaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:41am
A natural-laxer is chemical free and just makes your hair more manageable (Easier to comb), eventually making the hair stretched out (no where close to bone straight).  It is also not permanent. When you stop using it. your hair reverts back to its natural state. You apply it as often as a relaxer but you apply it to the whole head not just the new growth. You can find more info on http://www.treasuredlocks.com/chemical-free-natural-herbal-relaxer-texturizer.html#itemTabs A texturizer is a chemical, permanent, gives your hair more a curl or a wavy.
Last Relaxer: Mar 06
Transition Style: Braids
All Natural Goal: Jan 07
Type: 4b
Length: 2in-Nat/4in-Rel
Length Goal: Mid back(18in) 3yrs
My fotki
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:37pm
Thanks everyone for their help.  I got a texturizer, Botannicals, my hair felt a bit dry afterwards, but I think I may try it again in a few months.  If it is dry on the second application, I'll switch to something else.
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic