Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Bumps!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
palikane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palikane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Bumps!!!
    Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:21pm
Hi...when it comes to shaving...my legs have always been wierd. The hair would grow back in a day or even in a few hours and it was so annoying! But now it's even worse because this morning I had to rush and quick-shave with some conditioner and wipe off and go...I realzied later I had all these red bumps! Today I tried to calm it with some (what I thought) basic moisturizer from Olay Touch of Sun. But it's still there! I am allergic to aloe so I get these rashes alot... it all started when I used a depilatory and I used a moisterizer (with no aloe) and I got GINORMOUS bumps...my mom told me to treat it with Baking soda and then baby oil so I did. It did make the bumps more mellow for the time being and later they disappeared. I tried doing that tonight and it made it WORSE! Plus now you can see like all my hair pore thingies and it's sooooo wierd! What am I doing wrong and how cna I fix it!

Pleasee help!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 4:47pm

Your shaveing to often or pushing down to hard sounds like, that causes red bumps, maybe you could try an electric shaver instead of a handheld shaver and use a shaveing cream like Avenno it has soy in it that reduces how often you have to shave. Dont push so hard on the shaver when your shaveing and your less likely to get bumps. Also make sure your changing the blade often or you can be prone to infected bumps. Now that you already have the bumps its best to stop applying so many things to it and just let it cool off since your skin is sensitive no use in aggravating it more, dont shave until the bumps are gone you can apply a little jojoba oil on it that should cool it down and it will resoften the skin. I use jojoba oil after every shaveing i use a electric shaver with the Aveeno shave cream and ive improved a lot on my skin. give it a try good luck.

Edited by babycheeks24 - August 23 2006 at 4:52pm
Babycheeks
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 2:59pm
Sorry I didn't see this before Palikane, that must have been horrible. Are you still having these problems, or is it gone now?

Sounds to me like babycheeks is right. You were in a rush and it seems maybe you were too harsh when you shaved. The fact that you got the red bumps indicates your skin was either severely irritated or you got an allergic reaction.

Before I even go on, let me first say that if you can see any white heads in the bumps, you actually got an infection of the skin follicles, and should see a dermatologist asap.

That being said, small topical infections can be treated with some over the counter antibiotics, such as neosporin, Polysporin or Bactracin. They are great for the relief of small topical infections.
Why you got the bumps in the first place? Well, hair follicles are attached to oil glands, and both are attached to nerve endings. Shaving tends to irritate the skin, the hair follicle and the oil gland. Being that you have to shave so often, since your hair grows so fast, your skin has become more prone to irritation. Having to shave so quickly that morning, you probably were not very careful, shaved to harsh and too fast, and that trigered the irritation on your skin.

Now, when skin is that irritated do not put an over the counter moisturizer on it. The scents and other things they add to them will irritate the skin even more. What you want to do is use something that will cool the irritation and calm it down. Even a topical anti-allergic works great sometimes; such as Aveno or Benadryl has a great gel that works almost immediatly. I once got an allergic reaction from mites. I was discarding expired dog food at my job, and got attacked by dust mites. The allergy was so severe I looked like I had leprosy (sp?) I tried everything and it wouldn't go away. Huge red bumps everywhere (face, neck, arms, belly etc). I found a bottle of Benadryl gel in the medicine cabinet. I put it on, and immediatly stoped itching. I went to bed, and by the time I woke up, all the bumps were gone.

The remedy that your mom gave you created an exfoliant. Which is a big no no when you have such a skin irritation. Since you did it again in such a short amount of time, that is why it got worse the second time you tried it. You irritated your skin even more.
You should never exfoliate skin, neither rigth before shaving, or right after.

If you want to try a natural remedy, you can try stuff like chamomile tea mixed with lavender oil. They naturaly calm down irritation and inflamation. Something else that works great for dermatitis is tea tree oil. Remember, the first thing is to make the irritation go away. There is something else that came out that I saw at Target the other day. Is a cream that you use after you shave your bikini area to prevent bumps and ingrown hairs. I don't remember what is called, but is in the same area where the razors are. You might want to give that a try when you shave.
If all else fails, you can try some cortizone cream. Not all the time, but in desperate situations. I'm not a big fan of it, but it does work in cases like that.

Now, to prevent this from happening in the future, you must take extra care when shaving. Your skin should be completely wet, not just damp. The best time to do it is when you are in the shower(not in the tub taking a bath, because  the pores swell up with water preventing a closer shave). And the water should be warm to help open up the pores. Be very gentle when shaving, using short strokes. Rinse the blade often with hot water. Experiment until you find wich blade works best for you. The tripple blade ones seem to work wonderful. I use the one that has that big bar of moisturizer around the blade. I can't remember the name, but you know what I'm talking about. It works great for me. Specially on my underarms which are super sensitive. I can't even feel it when I'm shaving. You should gently exfoliate your skin at least 3 times a week. But remember never right before or right after shaving. Use a mild exfoliant. You can use olive oil and corn meal, but be very gentle. You might want to test a small patch of skin first to see if you have a reaction. Or you can try the Pumpkin Spice scrub from Lamasbeauty.com. It is actually for the face, but you can use it on your whole body. It is super soft and gentle and has all natural, non harsh ingredients. Again always test a small patch of skin first. You need a moisturizer that is free of fragrances and heavy oils. Lubriderm should work exellent for you.

Have you ever tried waxing? That would be the best thing, in my opinion. Since it would take the hair much longer to grow, and you don't get any bumps when the hair grows back. Is really not bad once you get used to it. Unless off course you have already tried it and had a reaction to it.

You can Visit this website and get a recipe for a natural remedy for skin irritations caused by shaving. Findarticles.com. I guess you can enter, "red bumps on my skin after shaving" in the search engine. That should give you a bunch of articles. Look for the one that says: Prevent shaving rash-Ask the experts... I know it contains chamomile, whitch hazel, lavender oil and stuff like that. And it is supposed to be great.

Anyway, good luck and feel better.

Edited by Sharyg11 - August 27 2006 at 12:43pm
tommygrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommygrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 12:43am
use tend skin its wonderful! it stops razor bumps and helps with ingrown hair!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic