Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair is too gold - which toner should I use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ahen151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahen151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair is too gold - which toner should I use?
    Posted: August 29 2006 at 11:52pm
Hello all. 

I get my bleach-blonde hair touched up at the salon every 4 weeks & my stylist always applies a toner (for about 5 seconds), but it never removes enough of the gold color in my hair, which I hate.  After about a week post-salon visit, my hair goes back to its brassy state & it drives me nuts.  I recently went to Sally's to buy a toner & the salesperson scared me away, telling me that if I didn't let a professional do it I could completely ruin my hair & turn it grey.  I've been using Shimmer Lights, but this doesn't quite hack it.  PLEASE HELP! 

Thanks!
thanks.
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 6:29pm
I've heard good things about L'Oreal Tone Refiner...
ahen151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahen151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 6:42pm
Thanks for the reply.  I went to Sally's again and the lady recommended Wella Color Charm in "white lady."  I guess it's violet-based, so it would counteract the gold.  I'm a little scared to use it, so I also grabbed some Shimmer Lights conditioner.  I've used the conditioner 3 days in a row now & my hair looks much more platinum.  I think I'll save the toner for another time.  My stylist will kill me if I mess up my hair again! 
thanks.
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 8:28pm
lol!  It's so easy to do though, isn't it?!  So easy to mess up your hair at home... I know *I've* done it more times that I'd like to admit.  That Wella sounds pretty good!  Let me know how it turns out for you!

I just went to Walgreens and (finally!) found the L'Oreal Tone Refiner (could never find it anywhere else) so I'll be giving that a try later this week.  I'll post my results!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ahen151 ahen151 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I went to Sally's again and the lady recommended Wella Color Charm in "white lady."  I guess it's violet-based, so it would counteract the gold.  I'm a little scared to use it, so I also grabbed some Shimmer Lights conditioner.  I've used the conditioner 3 days in a row now & my hair looks much more platinum.  I think I'll save the toner for another time.  My stylist will kill me if I mess up my hair again! 

Violet based but what color is it? Is it violet or blue violet? Violet doesn't counteract yellow however it neutralizes it....by that I mean mix yellow and violet and you get brown so your hair might appear darker than what you currently have. If your nervous mix it with a little shampoo wet your hair....mix it all up and work it into your hair as a shampoo it's called a soap cap....leave it on 2-3 minutes....rinse, dry and see if it removed the brassiness....if not repeat until a desired result is achieved.

It's hard for me to provide you with a surefire solution without actually seeing your hair, porosity and condition of the hair strands.
ahen151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahen151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the response.  It's violet, not blue-violet.  So I should mix the toner & 10 volume developer with shampoo before I put it on my head? 
thanks.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 6:41am
Originally posted by ahen151 ahen151 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  It's violet, not blue-violet.  So I should mix the toner & 10 volume developer with shampoo before I put it on my head? 

yes that is fine...the shampoo cap will slow up the process so it doesn't go too far....I'd recommend that first...2-3 minutes then if you want less gold try it again for several more minutes....you can always go back and tone it again if you need to.

G'luck
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 3:11am
You what did the magic trick for me. I have blonde hair also, and I get the toner at the salon, which, of course, "washes out" after a couple of weeks -- and hence, brass! I use my "violet" shampoo (Jhirmack right now -- generally same as your Shimmer Lights) and then a violet conditioner AND then I use fanci-ful rinse in White Minx. I LOVE what all that in combination does! 
CyberZombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberZombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 4:56pm
I'm curious what's the best combo to keep hair platinum-like and less brassy. I did search on this forum and all I came up was using a violet or violet-blue based toner, dark purple shampoo/conditioner and white minx fanciful rinse. I have Wella Color Charm White Lady #18, White Minx fancifull rinse and ShimmerLights shampoo & conditioner. I'm trying to make my hair platinum. I have managed to lighten my hair to very light yellow/pale yellow with bits of gold via bleaching. Will the toner and fancifull rinse work on my bleached hair? I want to have hair similar to this person at http://www.myspace.com/defdefdef  but not too white and platinum color is all I ask for.
ahen151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahen151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 7:26pm

x

Edited by ahen151 - June 21 2007 at 3:32pm
thanks.
CyberZombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberZombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 9:07pm
I understand that doing hair yourself is risky and glad you found something that works for you. But I don't trust any hairdressers. They never give me the results I really want with so called partial highlights. I have naturally dark hair to begin with and all of them refused to lighten my hair that pale. Only I can make it happen and I have done it in the past without any problems. Lucky for me, I have very thick and coarse hair so I have dry hair which can be "repaired" using lots of conditioners and leave in treatments including glossing polish. I also do trims. I gradually lightened my hair in steps, I went from dyed black hair to pale blonde in several months with an aid of my bf. I didn't lighten my hair all the way to pale blonde in one step. I just did in segments over course of months. Now, I feel confident I can go really pale but maybe not to platinum blonde if this's all I get. I can settle down with pale ash blonde if that's the result of using white lady toner. I do root touchups myself with assistance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic