Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meg Ryan Texture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meg Ryan Texture
    Posted: December 01 2000 at 8:30pm
Hello, does anyone know what type of product Meg Ryan uses for that textured, each piece separated, messy look? Especially in You`ve Got Mail? I have a similar cur but mine looks smoother. I have an equal amount of layers but I need something else to give it that messy look. Is it a texturizer or a gel of some sort? I have similar texture and thickness of hair as her. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2000 at 5:32pm
Reply to message: 21.758.1
Hi,

I have read that Sally Herschberger...Meg`s regular hairstylist...cut tiny knotches through her hair to give it that super textured look. I also read that Sally used hair wax to get that separated piecey & messy look. You could try something like Redken`s Wax to get a similar result. What you can also try is to take a little wax and warm it in the palm of your hand and then apply to an individual chunk of your hair at a time. Once you have lightly coated your individual chunks of hair from roots to ends you can slightly twist that chunk of hair to give it the piecey separated look. You can make the chunks as small or large as you like.

I usually have to practice to get the look I want but I think that the wax is your best bet at duplication of the look in You`ve Got Mail.

I really loved her hair in that movie. It suited her, in my opinion, better than many other styles she has worn recently.

I also saw her when she was so young on As The World Turns and she had really long heavily teased looks. Wow. What a difference several years makes.

Best wishes,
Karen

The problem I always have with hair wax...which I like for my bangs...is that I tend to have a heavy hand.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2000 at 2:03pm
I saw in the Instyle Makeovers issue a description of how Hershberger styles her shaggy cuts. (I have a similar cut so I have been trying this). First she applies mousse to the hair and then blow dries, shaking her fingers at the scalp to add body. Then she pins up the top layers and dries the under layer by using a round brush holding the hair horizontally, then flipping the ends up. When dry, she applies pomade or wax lightly at the roots for volume, then uses John Frieda`s Funky Chunky and applies it along the entire length of individual strips of hair, especially around the face, to separate. THEN she applies more wax or pomade (just a little) to the surface for hold. Personally I have found that this is too much product for me. My hair is finer than Meg`s (who has quite thick hair) and so the Funky Chunky makes it look too greasy and flat, but it might work for you since you sound like you have thicker hair. The wax alone works much better for me - I use the Sheer Blonde wax and it is a great product.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2000 at 2:36pm
Reply to message: 21.769.1
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I agree...that is a lot of work for a short style. I have heard great things about Sheer Blonde but have never used it personally. Have you used it a long time? Also, do you have blonde hair? I have heard mixed info about the Sheer Blonde line. Some claim it adds highlights and others claim not. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Best wishes,
Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2000 at 9:51am
I have not been using the Sheer Blonde products for that long, but I really like them. I have strawberry blonde hair(hence my screen name :) ) and I do think they add subtle highlights. I use the volumizing mousse (which is violet colored out of the can to reduce brassiness) and the wax (actually it`s called styling balm, I believe). The balm is gold colored and it has a definite sparkle or sheen to it, but subtle. The mousse gives very nice volume to my hair, and I like the way it feels - very soft. The balm makes it very shiny, but I am not crazy about the funky chunky for my rather fine hair.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2000 at 6:22pm
Reply to message: 21.803.1
Hi Strawberryblonde,

Thanks for the scoop on Sheer Blonde. I am going to try it. Especially the volumizing mousse to see how it does for my hair. I appreciate all the info.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with all of us.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic