Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Employer controlling your looks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Employer controlling your looks
    Posted: September 01 2006 at 7:58pm

I would like to know how an employer can get away with, telling it's employees how they will dress and wear their hair? I have read or heard that The Weather Channel does just this with their On-Camera Meteorologists. The tell them what type of hairstyle and color they will have. Someone please tell how an employer can have this kind of power over people.

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 8:40pm
Well, a private employer can have any kind of policy about their employees appearance specially if the job entels the employee publicaly representing the company. They will of course have to inform you of the details of the policy before hiring you. You don't have to agree, but they don't have to hire you. If you do agree though, they have every right to tell you how to dress or style your hair, according to the image they want to portray. Remember, when people look at the meteorologist, they are not thinking, oh the meteorologist looks bad, or cheap, or tacky. They are thinking channel 7 (just an example) is so tacky. Have you seen the way their meteorologist looks?.

And you'll be surprise how many companies have policies about how their employess dress or wear their hair. Hey at my last job, we even told them what kind of jewlery they were allowed to wear, and the amount they were allowed to wear as well. Only one earring per ear. They had to be conservative in size. No exesive jewlery (like a ring on every single finger) or exesive make up.  I also had to inform anyone I hired that they could not dye their hair any weird color (blue, pink, etc) and they could not wear any facial jewlery. Companies can not descriminate against you because of the way you look, but they have the legal right of telling, if we hire you, you have to follow our dress code policy, and you would have to wear, or stop wearing this. Sometimes I would be interviewing someone, and would tell them, "I'm interest in hiring you, but if I do, you won't be able to wear that nose ring because is company policy". I would then ask them if they had a problem with that policy, and it was up to them if they were willing to accept or not. Companies have the right to protect the image they want to portray, and it is up to the potencial employee to decide if they are willing to comply in order to get the job.

Now, if the company never informed you of the rules during the hiring process, then once you are officially hired they can not force you to uphold the rules. Basically you were hired that way and were never told otherwise.

So is pretty much up to the potencial employee, if they are willing to give their potencial employer that kind of power.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 2:23pm
Sharyg, the problem is when just about every employer has certain standards.

It shouldn't matter if you have big purple hair or a short black crop, if you're willing to work. It is supremely irrelevant and to insist otherwise is blatant discrimination.

Company image is a sickening concept. I don't care for the bullsh*t business reasons why it exists, either. That kind of nonsense can change. I shouldn't have to.

Edited by Rosalie - March 07 2007 at 2:24pm
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:28pm
I agree, it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does. You would be surprised how many customers complain about the way employess look. I worked as a retail manager for years, so I know. So companies adjust their policies to make customers happy. As long as the customers care, the companies will comply. It is people who determine what companies do.

I believe just as you that if the person is good at what they do it shouldn't matter. However, I also believe in a company's right to represent a certain image if that is what they choose to. If someone doesn't agree with the company's policies, they don't have to work for the company.

So it goes both ways. People believe companies shouldn't have the right to tell them what to wear, and company oweners believe employees don't have the right to tell them how to run their companies. That is a comflict that will go on forever.

I'm personally very respectfull of both. I believe I have the right to look anyway I want on my own time. However if my job requires I wear business attire all the time, I have no problem wearing it. If I did, then I just won't work there. But I do understand that part of what I'm paid for is to represent whatever image that company wants me to represent. If I don't agree, I don't have to work there. I'm not obligated to accept the job, and they are not obligated to hire me.

Hopefully one day the customers will stop caring. But I don't see that hapening anytime soon. Which is why I now run my own business, and I can do whatever I want LOL.

Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 6:06pm
Quote You would be surprised how many customers complain about the way employess look.

That's only because they know it's "within their rights". If it wasn't, they wouldn't care.

People might actually learn some tolerance of others for once, instead of forcing everyone to fit with their preconcieved notions.

Quote So companies adjust their policies to make customers happy.

It's not so much about companies but the legislation that allows them to do so. For instance, a company may have to not hire black people to stay in business. That doesn't mean that should be legal in the least. Image based discrimination is difficult to describe but still rather easy to take some basic measures against. Some places in europe have already done so.

Quote However, I also believe in a company's right to represent a certain image if that is what they choose to. If someone doesn't agree with the company's policies, they don't have to work for the company.

Fallacy. Very few companies will hire or keep someone with green hair, even really pretty mint green hair, so yes, in practice, you do have to "work for the company". Unemployment isn't a fair option.

I don't believe in that right at all. How is it an important right? Can you demonstrate, in terms of utility, how company image ultimately makes people happy?

Quote People believe companies shouldn't have the right to tell them what to wear, and company oweners believe employees don't have the right to tell them how to run their companies.

But that's a trick of phraseology here. Telling them how to run their companies in this case is entirely encroaching on someone else's rights. It's like a rapist saying the same about rape being illegal. It's a non-argument.

Quote If I did, then I just won't work there.

There are several problems with this.

It's not that easy for most people to get a job. There are many "looks" that are very, very dear to someone that are completely banned by most workplaces.

Quote But I do understand that part of what I'm paid for is to represent whatever image that company wants me to represent. If I don't agree, I don't have to work there. I'm not obligated to accept the job, and they are not obligated to hire me.

They are obliged, actually, to be equal and fair minded, even if that includes something silly like hair colour or dress sense. Not legally, but logically and ethically.

Quote Hopefully one day the customers will stop caring. But I don't see that hapening anytime soon.

They don't have to stop caring. They just have to be completely ignored; if ALL companies have legislation thrown on them that they can't discriminate based on appearance(this can be easily tied into sexuality and sexism as a defense) then most companies will roughly be the same.

Sometimes, laws can actually grant more freedoms, if said laws are directed towards bigots.

Edited by Rosalie - March 10 2007 at 6:07pm
DesertDavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 7:46pm
I am a lawyer by trade and I do practice employment law. Employers are allowed to make reasonable regulations concerning appearance and they are allowed to have different regulations for men and women. This has been repeatedly litigated all over the country in state and federal courts and that has been the bottom line in nearly every decision. The key is whether the employer's demands are reasonable and that is judged by what is within the cultural mainstream. Hence, a regulation that we have at our law firm, that men be clean shaven and keep their hair short, and that women have hair that reaches the bottom of their shoulderblades is going to be upheld as it is well within cultural norms for American men and women. We do provide reasonable expense reimbursements to women for hair products and ornaments. This is the corporate image that we want. We don't want something outlandish that would offend clients. We serve a considerable working class male clientele as we do worker comp law and those clients respond better to women with a feminine appearance.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 1:17pm
Quote Employers are allowed to make reasonable regulations concerning appearance

Legally, not logically or morally. So is gay marriage wrong now just because it's illegal?

Quote and they are allowed to have different regulations for men and women.

Not in Britian mainland Europe they're not. This is pure sexism. If you support it, you're a sexist too, and I will fight your bigotted ideals to the death. Simple as.

Quote This has been repeatedly litigated all over the country in state and federal courts and that has been the bottom line in nearly every decision.

I don't give a crap about american law. You're far too conservative and right wing for any laws like this to be in any way reasonable. Look to europe for a more sane answer.

Quote Hence, a regulation that we have at our law firm, that men be clean shaven and keep their hair short, and that women have hair that reaches the bottom of their shoulderblades is going to be upheld as it is well within cultural norms for American men and women

No, this is sexism. Why would you have a man cut off their hair, and not a woman? What if a man is very emotionally attatched to their long hair?

If you support this, you are not only a bigot, sexist, you are a sadist too.

"The norms"? So in otherwords you believe in encouraging forced conformity and the prejudice of the general public?

That is not reasoning. That is encouraging bigotry. If people didn't want black people working for companies, as was the case only a few decades a go, would you encourage not employing them too? Or would you show a moral backbone and come to the realisation that if people aren't exposed to minorities, they will never get used to them and get over their fears and prejudices?

It doesn't matter if someone can change their appearance and a black person can't. You're still forcing someone to be something they're not, as if you were making a black person wear white makeup/prosthetics. How you're born doesn't matter either - do we only defend the right of "choice" to be how we're born and raised, which isn't a choice?
You are complete style over substance. The way you make the post is much more "professional" than how I write, just like how you seem to care much more about how someone looks than what they can actually bring to a company. Your actual reasoning is non existant, it's just "The law says so."

Style over substance is a logical fallacy. This is OBJECTIVELY wrong. You are wrong. The ideals of the american public in this respect, are wrong. Any intelligent lawyer should know what a "Logical fallacy" is. You do not. You are probably not a very good lawyer. Your ideals are mistaken because they have no basis in a logical argument. Please accept this.

Quote We don't want something outlandish that would offend clients.

I don't care what you want. This is why legislation is meant to be leveled universally, at all companies at once, so you can't get away with this nonsense.

Quote We serve a considerable working class male clientele as we do worker comp law and those clients respond better to women with a feminine appearance.

You're a sexist. You have no place being a lawyer.

I am a transsexual, do you think I should be forced to have a male appearance during transition incase I "weird out" customers? Where do you draw the line, exactly? Why do you not even take into account the rights of the individual?

Also, if a mod warns me for any of my insults, I'm going to go nuts. What this guy is talking IS sexism and in many european countries is defined by so.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 2:09pm

We could go on and on, but it all comes down to: that is your opinion.

I know people who couldn't get a job at a certain store because they didn't dress goth. They are also trying to sell an image and attract a certain type of customer. I guess someone in a suit and tie is not the image they are looking for. So it goes both ways

Companies are selling a certain image and trying to attrack a certain type of clientelle. It might make all sense in the world to you, that you should be allowed to color your hair anyway you want. However I don't know one person who would let someone with mint green hair handle their business accounts. The person might be qualified, but the customer would not persieve it as such. That means the company would loose the client and therefor money. I do however know plenty of people who would be more than happy to let someone with mint green hair, color their hair. And that is just an example for the sake of the argument. I'm not saying it should be that way.

To each its own, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But in the business world is all a matter of perception. And that is not going to change. Is it fair? probably not, but when has life been fairSmile

So, just so we are clear, you want someone who worked hard to own their business and make their vision happen, to give you a job, pay you for it, provide you with insurance and vacation time (for sure) and have them do it in your own terms. And of course, the rights of the owner to envision his company a certain way and make HIS/HER vision happen, should be violated for the sake of letting you die your hair green, pink or whatever the color might be. Well, if it isn't the rapist yelling rape!

I respect your opinion, and you are certainly entiltled to it. Now, my opinion is, you are doing the same thing you are complaining about. Trying to impose your opinion on other people and violating their rights. As an employee, I never had a problem complying with company policies. I was greatful to have been given the oportunity, since there are plenty more people out there qualified and capable of doing the job. When I got tired of working for someone else, and following their rules, I went to work on my own. Maybe you should try that. But let me guess, you don't want to do that. You want the employeers to change their rules for you.

There are plenty of people out there qualified to perform our jobs. That means that getting that job is a priviledge.

Well that is my opinion, and that is the last I'm saying about it. I originally answered because the person wanted to know if companies could tell an employee how to dress. Not because I was interested in starting a discussion. Topics like this would never have an ending and I personally rather do other things. Good luck with getting that job.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:09pm

Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

Quote Employers are allowed to make reasonable regulations concerning appearance

Legally, not logically or morally. So is gay marriage wrong now just because it's illegal?

Legally of course, at least.  The purpose of these boards is not to debate moral stances.

Quote and they are allowed to have different regulations for men and women.

Not in Britian mainland Europe they're not. This is pure sexism. If you support it, you're a sexist too, and I will fight your bigotted ideals to the death. Simple as.

Kindly refrain from personal attacks on other forum members.

Quote This has been repeatedly litigated all over the country in state and federal courts and that has been the bottom line in nearly every decision.

I don't give a crap about american law. You're far too conservative and right wing for any laws like this to be in any way reasonable. Look to europe for a more sane answer.

That may be fine for you.  Why are you unable to understand that he might care about American law, given that he's an American, living in America, and employed in interpreting and defending American law?

Quote Hence, a regulation that we have at our law firm, that men be clean shaven and keep their hair short, and that women have hair that reaches the bottom of their shoulderblades is going to be upheld as it is well within cultural norms for American men and women

No, this is sexism. Why would you have a man cut off their hair, and not a woman? What if a man is very emotionally attatched to their long hair?

If you support this, you are not only a bigot, sexist, you are a sadist too...

...You're a sexist. You have no place being a lawyer.

As a man with very long hair, it may not serve me well, but (a) thoughtful employers are willing to look beyond the hair and employ strong performers who don't look like Ken dolls, and (b) he is merely doing what is legally permissible.

Given your interest in these issues, if you don't understand how the American legal system works, I would suggest you learn more before insulting others.  Better yet, learn, and refrain from insults.

Also, if a mod warns me for any of my insults, I'm going to go nuts.

Why would you expect a moderator to do any less?  Posts like yours illustrate the need for the "job" to exist.

What this guy is talking IS sexism and in many european countries is defined by so.

Maybe so.  If you wanted to change minds, I think you've failed, mostly based on your hostility.

DesertDavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 9:22am
I am neither a liberal nor a conservative (I am an independent and judge each issue on itis merits), but it never ceases to amaze me how denizens of both stripes are equally intolerant of views with which they disagree and equally dependent on their emotions to motivate their arguments.

In my previous post, I was merely stating what the law is and what my law firm does in compliance therewith. Laws can and do change, both by way of the legislature and through the Courts. But that doesn't happen spontaneously based on personal attackes. If you don't like the way the law is, elect legislators who feel as you do.  Make arguments to Courts to persuade judges to change the law. That will accomplish more to get you what you want than personal attacks on those persons with whom you disagree.

There is a chasm of difference between items of appearance easily changes such as hair length or facial hair and race or sexual orientation. The latter are immutable. You are born black or white or red or brown or yellow. You are born heterosexual or gay or lesbian or bisexual.  That is what the Courts look at. Discrimination based on immutable characteristics is and will always be wrong. The employment regulations which I was discussing are related to choices a person makes, not how God made them.

When you decide to work for someone else, rather than have your company, you give up a certain amount of freedom. As long someone else writes your paycheck, you dance to their tune. The law defines the limits of the dance. And so does the business context. What is reasonable for a law firm might be unreasonable in, for example, an entertainment-related business or an art studio. From a legal viewpoint, First Amendment jurisprudence has always sanctioned reaonable time and place regulations on freedom of speech.  

What the posters here argue is for an unlimited right of self-expression, whenever and wherever.  If you are self-employed, that is not a problem. You pay the bills and you do what you wish. But if someone else is paying your bills--making your survival possible--conformity to reasonable rules to enable the ongoing success of that business is not too much to ask.

Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 1:30pm

I don't care what you want.

This pretty much sums it up, Rosalie.  Doesn't it?

If it's acceptable for you to feel this way about what others want, then shouldn't it be equally acceptable for others to disregard what you want?

Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 8:57pm
Quote If it's acceptable for you to feel this way about what others want, then shouldn't it be equally acceptable for others to disregard what you want?

Because what someone wants in this case is a directly intrusion into personal freedoms.

Quote I am neither a liberal nor a conservative (I am an independent and judge each issue on itis merits), but it never ceases to amaze me how denizens of both stripes are equally intolerant of views with which they disagree and equally dependent on their emotions to motivate their arguments.

That doesn't matter. Your views are still annoyingly conservative.

In my previous post, I was merely stating what the law is and what my law firm does in compliance therewith. Laws can and do change, both by way of the legislature and through the Courts. But that doesn't happen spontaneously based on personal attackes. If you don't like the way the law is, elect legislators who feel as you do.  Make arguments to Courts to persuade judges to change the law. That will accomplish more to get you what you want than personal attacks on those persons with whom you disagree.

However, you show no resentment for the law, and seem to subtly accept it.

Quote There is a chasm of difference between items of appearance easily changes such as hair length or facial hair and race or sexual orientation. The latter are immutable. You are born black or white or red or brown or yellow. You are born heterosexual or gay or lesbian or bisexual.

That doesn't matter. It's still a personal freedom. If you're only defending the way someone is born, that's not a personal freedom, as it's already forced on them from birth. I covered this already.

If you could make a black person white, would it be any more acceptable? Why? Because they're born that way? What if we were genetically disposed in ways that would evolve into us liking certain styles of dress, hair colours, etc.? We don't know, but it's very possible.

Quote Discrimination based on immutable characteristics is and will always be wrong.

Bullsh*t. Discrimination is against anyone, or any irrelevant reason whether it's because they have purple hair or because they're gay.

Why, exactly, is discriminating against someone because of their dress or hair colour not discrimination?

Also, my transsexuality is the perfect example. It IS mutable in the sense that I can appear as a more or less normal male despite being born with a female mindset(a parallel to only feeling comfortable in a certain style of dress, hair colour, etc.).

Would it be acceptable to force me into the wrong gender role? And if not, what is the difference?

Quote The employment regulations which I was discussing are related to choices a person makes, not how God made them.

That doesn't matter. They should still be well within their rights to make them. It is not your place, or the place of any seedy businessman to tell them otherwise. As long as they're relatable to by others, there shouldn't be a problem.

Quote When you decide to work for someone else, rather than have your company, you give up a certain amount of freedom.

You shouldn't have to. How you look, as long as it's not immensely off-putting, is supremely irrelevant. You're already giving up half of your waking hours. Isn't that enough?

You are being paid to work, not to dress like a drone.

I don't give a crap what the law says, or what common practice is. I know. I want it to change.

Quote As long someone else writes your paycheck, you dance to their tune.

I take it you don't believe in workers' unions then?

Quote The law defines the limits of the dance.

Which is why it should change.

Quote What the posters here argue is for an unlimited right of self-expression, whenever and wherever.

There is a big difference between "Whenever and wherever", and where you spend half your life and most of your social interaction time.

Quote f you are self-employed, that is not a problem. You pay the bills and you do what you wish.

Being self employed is not a practical solution for most people and most people don't even wish or have the capability to run a company.

This is a cop out. Not a solution.

Quote conformity to reasonable rules to enable the ongoing success of that business is not too much to ask.

Who the hell are you to say that? No offense, but you probably look like a boring old sod anyway.

Why is it not too much to ask? You're severely limiting someone's freedom of expression and your only backing for doing that is "BUSINESS!". If image based discrimination was somehow limited by legislation(as it is in some areas in some countries of europe, incidentally) it would be the same all around. We NEED to get rid of this culture of style over substance, trusting people in suits, as it is.

And it's still bugging the hell out of me that you seem apathetic or even supportive of sexist hiring policy. That is VERY easy to define in law. No excuses.

Quote We could go on and on, but it all comes down to: that is your opinion.

Relativist fallacy. I'm providing an argument.

Quote I know people who couldn't get a job at a certain store because they didn't dress goth. They are also trying to sell an image and attract a certain type of customer. I guess someone in a suit and tie is not the image they are looking for. So it goes both ways

Oh come on, you have to be sh*tting me. It does not go "both ways". Hot Topic, I'm presuming you're refering to, is a themed store. It is also in the vast, vast minority of places. I have no problem with a small amount of places being "Themed", because that still means that most jobs are open to everyone, which is the issue here.

Quote Companies are selling a certain image and trying to attrack a certain type of clientelle.

I swear every time I hear that word, I feel like smashing a vase over someone's head. Why do you need to say "Clientelle"? Do you think it describes the problem more specifically and bolsters your argument?

You're using it to muddy what's actually happening - supporting public prejudice and misconceptions. That's exactly what they're doing.

Quote However I don't know one person who would let someone with mint green hair handle their business accounts. The person might be qualified, but the customer would not persieve it as such.

Because of common prejudice. You think it's acceptable just to leave that be just because it's "Only hair colour", instead of doing something about it? All "isms" feed off one another.

Quote That means the company would loose the client and therefor money.

If legislation was enforced, most employers would be on their toes.

This is important anyway as it helps eliminate the "Seedy businessman" problem.

To each its own, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But this is about forcing "Opinion" on others. Which is the problem. There is a right or wrong solution here.

Quote But in the business world is all a matter of perception. And that is not going to change.

It can, and it has. Not so long ago it would have been difficult for an obvious homosexual to get employment anywhere. Now it is not so problematic.

Though image based discrimination would further help those with differing sexuality get a job.

Quote So, just so we are clear, you want someone who worked hard to own their business and make their vision happen,

Appeal to emotion/pity. How hard they worked on their business should not give every single employer out there right to have a discriminative hiring policy.

In theory, yes, it shouldn't matter since they're setting up a business and "can" hire who they want. But as part of a working system, that's not how it works at all. People need jobs and shouldn't have to compromise themselves just to have one.

Quote And of course, the rights of the owner to envision his company a certain way and make HIS/HER vision happen,

What is so important about HIS/HER vision to begin with? What about the individuals vision of how they want themselves, which is actually a very personal thing, not just "I'd kind of like people to look this way..."

Why aren't you taking this into account? Why are you not looking at the larger knock on effects of this?

Quote should be violated for the sake of letting you die your hair green, pink or whatever the color might be. Well, if it isn't the rapist yelling rape!

No it isn't, at all, and don't you dare use those neo-conservative like tactics on me again. It's the difference between personal freedoms and limiting others personal freedoms. Wanting a certain image for yourself, and enforcing a certain image on others. Stop trying to make them look the same. They aren't.
One is chosen over the other because our world is ridiculously corporate/consumeristic, not because it's the more logical choice.

Quote Now, my opinion is, you are doing the same thing you are complaining about.

Your opinion has just been debunked, and continuing to hold it would make you pretty much delusional at this point. You are incorrect. There is a difference between personal freedoms, how you wish to present yourself, an forcing an image on others. You are mistaken. Please acknowledge this.

Quote As an employee, I never had a problem complying with company policies.

Unfortunately, unlike you, I am a critical thinker.

Quote I was greatful to have been given the oportunity,

If you're grateful for the opportunity, that means that jobs obviously aren't that easy to get, and setting up a company isn't either.

Thus proving my point from earlier in the thread.

You should not be grateful for something most people in your area have. There is nothing wrong with wanting the rights you deserve.

Quote You want the employeers to change their rules for you.

Listen, I think I'm honestly going to throw up soon. Stop trying to sugarcoat everything and make me look like the bad guy.
Their "rules" are discriminative. They force people to be something they're not, limit their personal freedoms, and see someone who isn't quite them in the mirror, whether they admit it or not. They are not mere "rules".

Quote There are plenty of people out there qualified to perform our jobs. That means that getting that job is a priviledge.

That doesn't excuse discriminative hiring policy in the least.

Quote Kindly refrain from personal attacks on other forum members.

It is not a "Personal attack". The word "sexist" describes something, and some people fit it, whether as a relativist you like it or not.

Quote That may be fine for you.  Why are you unable to understand that he might care about American law, given that he's an American, living in America, and employed in interpreting and defending American law?

Because law on it's own means nothing anyway. Law isn't correct just beacuse it's the law and a lawyer is defending it.

Quote As a man with very long hair, it may not serve me well, but (a) thoughtful employers are willing to look beyond the hair and employ strong performers who don't look like Ken dolls, and (b) he is merely doing what is legally permissible.

You're a man with long hair defending discrimination against yourself. Wonderful!

You shouldn't have to wait to find (a) and it may not always be possible, and (b) should be altered. Banning sexist hiring policies is something that's VERY easy to define in law, and is defined in many countries.

Quote Why would you expect a moderator to do any less?  Posts like yours illustrate the need for the "job" to exist.

Because I'm taking a strong stand against a morally weak opinion? I don't see what's so horrible about any of my posts in this thread.

I do think that forcing others to look a certain way, turning a swan back into a cygnet, IS horrid and rather morally indenfensible, though. But it's not as if you'd have such moral convictions, is it? It's all ettiqutte because you can't judge "Issues" as a mod.

Maybe so.  If you wanted to change minds, I think you've failed, mostly based on your hostility.

I am not being any more hostile than most competent debaters I have met online. I am defining logical truths and debunking misconception. If they are disregarding what I'm saying merely because I'm more aggressive than I want them to be, then they're already lost on the issue of "style vs. substance".  However, I am at least providing a frame of reference for the opposition should they consider changing their views in the future. That, I think, is extremely important. A passive one is not memorable, and if they are in any way capable of seeing things from the other side, said aggression would become irrelevant in small doses.

Edited by Rosalie - March 13 2007 at 9:00pm
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:44am

God Rosalie, it's people like you that make the world the overly PC hellhole it is today. People are scared to even think anything against anyone and some men are even scared to bathe their babies because people like you just open their mouths and spout rubbish very loudly like "OOOOMG that's paedofilia. How horrid! I would not stand for that!" It's more likely to be your attitude that doesn't get you a job over your appearance. Employers probably feel threatened by the way you act and of course they're not going to hire you if they do. The "I am right because I say so and if you say otherwise, you're a bigot" attitude really sucks. You'd argue black was white (the shades white and black, not the race differences before you try and accuse me of racism). Does it ever occur to you that sometimes you are wrong? People are entitled to their own opinions. If they don't happen to be Rosalie's opinions, big f***ing deal. If you stopped fighting with everyone and actually listened to people, maybe you'd be a happy person and not the complete whiner you come across as. Grow up. You're your own worst enemy.

Before you say it, that wasn't a personal attack. It was free advice. Take it or leave it. I assume it will be the latter but it's there anyway.

sweetjessie76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetjessie76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:03pm
Hey DesertDavid, I completely agree with you on the conformity issue. One is often expected to conform to others around them. In the past I had a hard time accepting conformity. I have always been one to step outside of the box and do things my way. That was until recently however, after a lifetime of fighting conformity I've found it a lot easier to accept the status quo on some things and do what is expected instead of rocking the boat so to speak. Yet out there in the real world you will at times encounter employer's who actually should enforce a little stricter dress code policy then what they allow their employee's to get away with. Isn't the reputation of the business at stake by the way they allow themselves to be represented to the public. Prime example is the daycare in which my son had attended in the past there is woman who works there that on any given day it looks as though she has just woken up and rolled out of bed and didn't even bother to change her clothing or comb her hair. I'm sure she bathes on a regular basis but the way she dresses clearly implies otherwise. Here this woman is supposed to be a professional, granted she is taking care of children which at times stressfull but come on holes in a pair of sweatpants that are three times to big for you should be  worn at home if one so chooses to dress in that fashion. On the opposite side of the spectrum dressing a little too provacatively in this environment is also a turn off. One needs to consider the environment in which they work and dress so accordingly.
Jessie
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:08pm

Quote If it's acceptable for you to feel this way about what others want, then shouldn't it be equally acceptable for others to disregard what you want?

Because what someone wants in this case is a directly intrusion into personal freedoms.

The point I'll make has already been made by others...

In many businesses, the appearance of the employees projects an image of those businesses.  The image a business projects may determine its success. 

A business owner makes a personal investment and relies on that business to return their investment and provide their means to exist.  By insisting they bow to your wishes, aren't you then directly "intruding on their personal freedoms" to run a successful business and realize a return on their investment?

Edited by Rocky - March 14 2007 at 12:24pm
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:15pm
Rosalie, you really are a "critical" thinker. Criticaly in need of help that is LOL!!

Where do you get off telling people to acknowledge they are wrong? according to who, to you? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! that is soooo funny. You have serious issues don't you? 

And what is this "don't you dare" deal? what is wrong with you?

You see Rosalie, I think you are mistaken about this forum. This is not a debate forum. Specially a political one. People on this forum are nice (and not really fond of people who aren't) and we come here to share reviews, ask questions, share opinions in an educated and respectful way (by the way DAVE DECKER And DESERTDAVID, YOU ROCK!!). We are here to get away from the drama, not deal with dementia.

There is nothing wrong with sharing your opinion. It is when you start thinking that everyone else HAS to agree with it, and you start telling people that they are delusional because of holding on to their opinions that you have a major problem. Seriously, seek help. That is not normal, or healthy.

And what do you mean, employers are trying to make you something that you're not? You mean professional? Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't beleive in that and you don't give a "crap". Well, guess what, neither do we.

Oh, and yes, we love America, and really don't care what you think. As far as being conservative, NEWS FLASH!!! people also have the right to that, if that is what they want. But you don't care about other people's rights, only your own. Talk about double standards. Thank our government for not forcing employers to allow people to dress like freaks and deteriorate their business.

You complaint about pre-conceptions and steriotyping, and here you are telling someone "you probably look like an old sob". Why? because he doesn't agree with your delusional views. I don't see him making any implications about your appearance. But you know he is right, so you resort to personal attacks. How immature.

To you, the only opinion that matters is yours, eventhough you can not provide a convincing argument for it (I don't care how much post disecting you do, your arguments still make no sense and are not valid).

It is interesting that you think of yourself as such an intelligent person, yet when the argument is made that you could start your own business, you consider it invalid. You argue, that most people don't wish, or have the capability to own a business. So lets see, they are either lazy, or not smart enough (is that what you are saying?) That is so funny. So lets see, because you are lazy and incapable of acomplishment, those who are, have to put up with your nonsense. Of course you don't want to start your own business. That implies hard work, sacrifice and taking a risk. You want someone else to do that, and then allow you to work for them dressed like a clown so you can express yourself. How insulting. I started my business with an idea and $100. I guess I am more of a critical thinker than you are after all LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

You need to stop being mad at people just because they are happy and you are not. I have never had any problems finding a job. As a matter of fact, I have never applied for a job that I didn't get. And yes, jobs are hard, but not because of employers dress code policies, but because of the competition out there. There are alot of qualified people trying to get the same job. So when the job was given to me, I was greatful, YES, greatful, that eventhough that employer could give the job to someone else they gave me the opportunity to prove I was the best candidate for the job. And NO, they don't have to give me the job. They could have given it to another person. Ultimately, when having many candidates, who all qualify, it comes down to professionalism and YES attitude. You would be surprise how far a nice attitude can take you. Your problem is not your hair color. Is your horrible attitude and rude personality. Nobody is going to give you a job like that.

I love to walk around wearing jeans and sneakers, but I had to wear a suit to work. Did that make me something I'm not, of course not; that was just work attire. Paying bills and putting food on the table is far more important and dear than any look. But you need a good disposition and great personality to get the best out of life. Instead of being so bitter because you can't get the entire world to comform to you.

Why don't you do something productive, like seek a career art, music, or even beauty related, so you can express your artistic or flamboyant way. But no, that is too much effort ,you rather try to force the whole world to think like you. Well, we don't, and we won't. So good luck with that.

And by the way, I'm not trying to make you look like the bad guy. I think you have acomplished that all on your own. I really do feel sorry for you. It must be terrible to be that bitter and unhappy. This has actually made me remember how blessed I am to be so happy.

Respect Rosalie, is not something you demand, it is something that you earn. And you have done nothing to earn it. Yeah yeah, you don't care. Again neither do we. Your rights end where the other person's rights begin.

I have news for you, the world doesn't owe you anything. Anywhere you go in life there are going to be rules and regulations that you don't like. Your inability to make the best of everything is going to make life a long and unhappy journey for you. Seriously, seek help.

Well, I wasted enough time on you. Good luck. You are going to need it with that attitude.

Edited by Sharyg11 - March 14 2007 at 8:25pm
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 7:41am
My favorite 60's song is 'Signs" Especially the line...long haired hippy freeks need not apply, so i tucked my hair up under my hat and I applied...He said you look like a fine upstanding young man to me...SO I TOOK OFF MY HAT AND SAID IMAGINE THAT ME WORKING FOR YOU!!" Love it.
Tommi
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 8:48pm
Rosalie may be the most close minded individual I've ever seen on message boards. And that's no hyperbole. To say that your opinion is morally right and that anyone who disagrees is sexist, a bigot, and all the other insults in the thread is the worst part of society.

Any individual who expresses an opinion and doesn't allow for others to have a differing opinion puts us one step closer to living in Orwell's "1984" society. Every issue should be debated. Yes, every one. Even those such as rape, murder, and slavery. Once a society accepts one opinion as a universal truth and stops debating it, the society has failed. On these issues we believe that everyone should have the same opinion, but we still must come up with the counter argument and a strong one. That's the only way to arrive at an opinion.

Most issues aren't like slavery and rape and have a huge gray area. I try to listen to both sides before forming an opinion, but my opinions evolve as I hear more debate. There are few issues that I know I'm right about it. There are many I believe I'm right about. On those issues, I'm pleased that others disagree. Dissent should never be discouraged. It's those people who dissent, no matter how far-fetched their ideas might be, who force us examine those ideas. That's the society I want to live in, not one where one person's opinion is right and all others are bigots and sexists.
BenBlaze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 12:17pm
If they paying you good money, you are going to have to conform to their standards. If you don't like the premise of that, it would be smart to just start your own business
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 6:14pm

All this reminds me of something that I came across on TV.  There is this model that the advertising company uses her hands.  The model can never go in the sun and always wears rubber gloves around the house to protect the look of her hands.  She must be paid very well for her efforts in all this.

There is control everywhere.  Like you weren't see a goth looking girl working in a senior clothing store or a senior woman working in the goth store.  You wouldn't see a long hair woman having her long hair flowing where there is so much machinery.  She would have to tie up her hair and wear a hardhat.  I remember just taking a wood working class years ago I was told that I better deal with that long hair by tying it or don't take the class.

I have worked where earrings and rings weren't worn at work because of dangers.  Where women had to tie their hair or cut it.
I have seem accountants that couldn't have a beard.

I have noticed the more we get paid the more there seem to be control.
Just my opinion

dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic