Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

olive oil and a flat iron, potential problem??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sistasgotgame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistasgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: olive oil and a flat iron, potential problem??
    Posted: September 03 2006 at 10:43pm
i just bought some olive oil lotion cuz i heard that it brings better results. I am 4a and relaxed. My question is would applying olive oil and then using my flat iron be a problem because i have heard on the boards, that olive oil and heat are no good, but i didnt know if this included flat ironing. I used it on my wash and go yesterday and it made a tremendous difference (now i cant wait to try a twist out with it), so i was wondering if using it before flat ironing would also produce better results for me...
 thanks for your help!!!

`--Marissa
babyautumn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyautumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 2:50pm
olive oil ,although a good oil isn't good for flatironing or pressing. the reason which i just recently found out some months ago is that any oil can overheat and or evaporate after heat is applied to it. in short it heats up to fast thus leaving the hair unprotected for you to repeat applying heat (you're burning off maintenence products!) from what lisa akbari the author of a couple hair books she advises women of color to use pressing creams. make sure what ever cream or "grease" is  viable to protect your hair from the heat. Just because a product has heat protectant on it doesn't mean it is. girlfriend i'm just tellin' you from my own personal experience . you can also go to sallyhair supply.com to get a detailed description of styling products that will help you protect your hair . i'm sure you'll find what you need there or beauty depot or any other website. I hope this helps ya:)
beauty is in the eye of the beholder;make sure that your vision of it doesn't blind anyone elses!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 9:27am
If it is the olive Oil lotion, I'm not to sure, it does have more than one ingredient. However, using olive oil alone would not be good at all. I agreet with Babyautumn. Besides, heats and oils sound similiar to BAKING.  However, there are heat protectors that are usually light and work well with flat ironing. If you go to Sallys you may want to ask about heat protectors, I know my sister uses Beyond the Zone Heat protector and she loves it.   I saw that Isoplus have a heat protector but it smelt like pure rubbing alcohol, I'm sure that is not something you want to use.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 9:59am
I agree with the ladies.  I wouldn't use pure olive oil because combined with the heat it could scorch your hair and it is not a heat protectant.  I don't know about the olive oil lotion.  I think it would be ok to use as long as you put a heat protectant over it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic