Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

layers before curling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: layers before curling?
    Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:26am

Hey I'm new to the forum!

I just had my hair consultation today for my wedding updo (getting married October 7!) I would love to wear my hair half up, half down and in curls. Because I had heard that it is easier to do curls down if you have some long layers, I asked my stylist what she thought about cutting some long layers into my hair before the wedding so that the curls would have a more textured look.

But here is my hair saga: Okay, when I was in middle school I used to have amazingly thick hair. It was almost too thick. I also had a lot of dandruff. I had my hair cut into layers and it just poofed and was really thick and it was like that for a couple years into high school until some girls I befriended started giving me hair tips. I started using conditioners and got my hair cut into all one length- a bob cut and then had it grow out- I also grew out my thick bangs.

I'm 24 now- so it has been about 10 years since then and my hair is TOTALLY different. It is much thinner than it used to be. I get really paranoid about the thinness. Also my hair used to be much wavier. But now it is straight. I try to sometimes style it wavy but it never holds and just gets stringy. Having researched about hair on the net, I would describe my hair as being moderately abundant but very fine- which makes it seem thin.

So sorry for the long story but do you have any input of what happened to my hair? Is it natural for hair texture to change from 14 to 24? And my most important question: Will long layers make my hair thinner- or would it be good for it? (Make it have more volume, easier to style wavy, etc)

I am sorry for the long story but I would greatly appreciate your input! Thanks so much!

Edited by elsie - September 10 2006 at 12:31am
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 1:54am
Hi Elsie,

Many people, including myself, experience the same thing. I used to have alot of hair, which has thinned out through the years. I'm now 31. Just like we loose colagen with age making our skin change, we loose other things that affect our hair. Some people more than others.

I always have layers in my hair. Even when I cut it into a bob, I always have them shave layers into it. And when is really long, I usually have the long layers. No, it doesn't make my hair look thinner. It actually gives it more body. Then again, I have a great stylist who is great at cutting hair. So she know exactly what amount of hair to layer and how long to make the layers, so the hair looks full and with volume.

If you have a good stylist, she should be able to achieve the look you want for your wedding. Just tell her to keep the layers as long as possible. That way if you don't like them, all you have to do is cut off a couple of inches to make it all one length again. But I really doubt you'll have any problems.

I do advice you, that if you are going to get the layers, get them now. Don't wait until is really close to the wedding day. That way if something doesn't look like you expected it, you have plenty of time to look for alternative solutions.

Hope this helped. Congratulations on your wedding and wish you everlasting love and happiness.

Much love, Shary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic