Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get the red tones out of my Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
antiquehorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiquehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get the red tones out of my Hair?
    Posted: September 17 2006 at 5:16pm
I hope someone can help me. I used a highlighter on my hair and it turned it Red. I can Clairol and they told me to purchase 108 and applied the dye only with out the developer to my towel dry hair and to leave it in for 20 minutes. After to applied 116 ( ash Brown) and 114 ( medium brown ) along with 2 oz. of shampoo and to leave it in for 20 minutes. The problem is I still have red hair. It is now a strawberry red blonde. I would like to get it back to my golden brown hair. What do I need to do? Please help me. Thanks
Thanks, Lou
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 5:54pm
Something with a green-blue base maybe?  Is that what their ash brown is I wonder?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiquehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 6:11pm
What do you mean a green - blue base? I would just like it back to brown. Some told me to use a demi- color? Thanks
Thanks, Lou
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 1:46am
In Claude's great Intro, he has a color chart that shows red opposite of green, so I'm thinking it would cancel out teh red.  A demi-permanent would probably work too, easier on your hair than Nice and easy which is permanent.  Ash means a hair color with either a green or blue base AFAIK..the colors at Sally's tell you what the base it is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiquehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 6:36am
I have been told that Wella is a good brand, but, I cannot find it here. We do not have a Sally's here. Is there any other brands I should look for? Much Thanks, Lucy
Thanks, Lou
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 6:29am
I don't like the advice the hotline gave you... but that's typical.  (What the heck is 108, anyway?)  At any rate...

First, I would TRY a STRAND TEST with a medium ash brown and see if that takes you to a golden brown.  You won't need to process it very long.  (Check the strand every five minutes and do not leave it on the ends too long - the ends will soak up too much color and look muddy.)

If that gives you a good color, proceed cautiously with the rest of your head.  :)

If not, I really have to suggest you find a professional who's very good with corrective color.  You'll have to remove the 108-116-114 dye combination, which will likely take you to an ever-so-attractive pumpkin color (just in time for Halloween).  Then you'll have to dye that.

Good luck!

Strand test, strand test, strand test!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 10:16pm
 I dont think Clairol is to blame for this. If you told them you wanted golden brown as you told us,Golden has RED in it! It is ASH browns that do not. Perhaps it turned out strawberry blonde cause you didnt leave the browns on for long enough.
I just went through a similar process.I had very light blond hair. I wanted light reddish brown hair. I also used the 108 and the light brown only for 10 minutes and mine is pretty dark. You used the medium brown,so yours should be even darker.
Ash brown probably will cover up the red tones,but remember,golden browns are typically reddish.Sorry you didnt get what you wanted.If you still find after using the ash browns that is it still not dark enough,try a colored protein filler in brown to color correct between colorings or get a color depositing shampoo. good luck.

Edited by julesyjul88 - September 20 2006 at 10:34pm
BeautyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeautyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 8:51pm
Removing/Controlling RED Tones Can Be Very Tricky And Frustrating Even For Pros. Especially If The End Result Is A Warm Or Golden Shade. I Would Strongly Recommend A Professionals Help. If You Still Want To Do-It-Yourself. I Would Recommend An ASH Shade A LITTLE lighter than The Shade You Want. (If You Can Get Wella Get A Green Base Shade) Wait For A Few SHAMPOOS If The Shade Is Not GOLD enough- The Color May Fade To Reveal Gold Highlights. If It Doesn't,- WAIT untill Your Next Retouch And Use The Gold Shade Of Your Choice. The More Times You ReColor The More RED Tones Will Show.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiquehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 2:47pm
Well , I tried the Demi- Dark Blonde by wella. It did get the red out, but, it was a bit dark from my natural hair color, which is a light golden brown. So, I can Sally beauty supply and a young lady was very helpful. She told me to shampoo my hair and apply tomato juice to it and if that didn't work to try a product called Hair Oops. The tomato juice did get out a little of the dark areas and the Hair Oops I used to high light it and it worked great. Hair Oops is very gentle it does not contain any bleach it just remove the dye and get your hair to the natural color. It is a product I would use again if I ever make the same mistake. Hopefully I never will. I appreciate every in put and advise. It was very helpful . Thanks again.
Thanks, Lou
jentalkin2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jentalkin2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 3:13pm

Clairol makes a demi (Loving Care) and so does L'Oreal (Castings ColorSpa).  Ash colors usually have a green or blue base to them, which should counteract the orange or red tones in your hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic