Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How-To books for knitting, crochet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How-To books for knitting, crochet
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 7:57am
This post is old, but in case you haven't gotten anything yet, the books I find most useful are the so-called "stitch bibles" (once you already know how to do the basic techniques that is). 

They don't talk about too much, its just a whole book of how to do different stitches (usually it has a photo of what each looks like and a small pattern for how to do it underneath).  You can find these books just by flipping through what they have at book stores.  Once you have instructions for all of these different stitches, you can make anything under the sun by combining different stitches together, and the variety of what you can do is immense.  Especially for knitting, making projects intuitively works better for me since patterns never seem to work out right.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 8:26pm

Hi SF! One of my favorite beginning knitting books is "The Harmony Guide to Knitting Techniques - The How-To of Hand Knitting." The ISBN number is 0-7111-0064-0. When I do a GOOGLE search, I get lots of hits, so it is definitely still around (even though it was published 16 years ago!). It is my favorite beginning knitting book because of the very clear instructions and pictures. Hope that helps!

strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 1:20pm
Can anyone recommend any good books or DVDs to help me learn to crochet and knit? 

I used to know how to do basic stitches in both in high school but that has been a long time...

TIA,
SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic