Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sally's hair extensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Poose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 9:40pm
It's really all a matter of what you want to spend, if your hair is curly,wavy, or straight, and what color it is.

Synthetic hair CAN be good and inexpensive, but it can also tangle.

Human will be expensive, you'll find better colors to match (esp. with browns IMHO) and it can tangle if you get crap hair.

It really depends on install method too! If you like sew in's I'd go with some Bohyme in Hand tied wefts, check out hairextensions101.com
they have great service!
^..^
JeepGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:31pm
SO many things to consider before buying hair....
Texture of your hair
straiaght-wavy-curly
thick-thin-dry-oily
color-hair cut currently with no extensions
desired efect you are wanting

After you can answers most or all of these questions you are ready to start shopping...lol..hey I learned the hard way and through MUCH trial and error....I found a few brands that I really like, but my hair is dry, curly and red....now with a Japense straightner on it......but never the less, I have a course dry hair.....I  love my bodywave, Bohyme hair!
I ususall wear the same 8 oz of hair...which is 2 packs of their hair.....I get 2-3 months wear....and once you build your arsenal of hair up and have leftover hair...well you use that for when the ends do get dry and you need to trim but don't want to lose your length...you just add the extra left over hair and add back to your length.

It really all depends on what your hair looks like to beging with....if you post pictures, Im sure we might be able to better help you.

I love my human hair.....a good brand of course....and trust me...hair from Sally's is NOT going to last...and for the price you might as well get good hair that will last longer.

Synthetics...once again is up to the individual....I can't wear if becasuse I have to curl or flat iron my own hair to tame it and get the frizzy out...hince using  heat on syn. isn't good for me cause I burn the piss out of it...yes you can use heat on it but you have to wet the hair and turn your temps down...and blah blah blah...don't have that kinda time...but if you have straight hair and it's in good condition and wear it straight for the most part....some syns. are really good.

I still vote for my bohyme human bodywave....straight bohyme I can't curl worth a hoot...however Sherrie wears it and gets a lovely curl that holds...once again I don't have the patience to clip curls everyday or whatever.....here's where Sherrie can shed some light on SS hair....French refined is pretty hair but I found that it tangeled alot and Ididn't want to deal with that all day....so I love the fact that I can twist and turn and bun my hair at night and let it down the next day and...wola....a nice wave to the hair without having to curl it all...now it I want big barrell curls...big curling iron and..poof....great curls that hold.

Just my opinion on all the above.....everyone has their favorite brand and texture of hair....just figure out your texture and all and then base your choice on what brand to buy.... just remember..alll hair is not created equally...or company's...beware of who you buy from...personally I buy from Sherrie's site for my supplies...use to buy hair from her when she had it...hoping she'll start again..anyway, she provides me all my tapes and glues and removers.
Hair I buy from Ebonyline and you get free shipping of orders over X amount.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
JeepGirl

Current install-Bohyme Bodywave #30 and #14 in the straight hair/ they didn't have the #14 in bodywave, so I mixed them...works great!
SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 9:40pm
I have to agree with the dryness of the satin strands... granited this thread is a few months old i recently started using satin strands malibu and st. tropez. I loved them at first but the ends seem to dry out fast. I have a little over 200 pieces in and i dont have any problem with tangling or anything but I feel that i am replacing them every month and a half due to dryness... i use a leave in conditioner as well let the conditioner sit on my hair for about 5 min in the shower (biolage) i do blowdry and straighten but only the top of my hair twords the scalp i dont use the straightner on the ends of the hair...
I am wondering if the others who used satin strands I tips and had problems with tangling/ dryness used the same colors as me or darker colors? I am ready to try a new brand thats for sure!
Sinfuliphone.com
A stock iphone is a useless brick, I live to customize!
momofboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momofboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 8:17pm
I bought 3 packages of the satin strands at $80 each then had someone put them in for me at $500 and they have been in for one week.  I am disgusted with them!  After one week they are pulling out!  I am using a very gentle shampoo, taking good care of them, I put chi oil on my hair every day and avoid the tips.  I had great legnths once and they didnt come out for 6 months!  This was a HUGE waste of money!  Makes me sick!  I got them because I lost most of my hair from a medication I was on.  I guess I have learned my lesson, I would have been better off just spending the $1500 on great legnths then trying to save money and ending up wasting $800 plus tip!
GetHipNow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetHipNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 8:28pm
3 Packs is ALOT of hair!  I was angry when I wasted my money on ONE pack of that hair. DO NOT BUY HAIR FROM SALLY'S ... I only washed mine in cold water as recommended, braided it at night, then when it started drying out and tangling up, I used all the expensive recommended products.

When it's dead, it's dead.  You can cut it shorter to see if the upper part is good.  Use some of the spray on hair oil at night to soften it and braid it, then rinse it out in the morning with some light conditioner (shampoo only the top of your head).

You can work with it for a while to make it LOOK decent but the tangling will not go away.  Then it will start to look embarrassingly bad.

Same thing happened to every one I know that has used this hair.

Unfortunately I had a whole OTHER problem to deal with besides the lousy hair ... I had them woven in for alot less that but unfortunately, I made them work for about 4 months.  And when I took them out, I lost half of my own hair so am now strapped to glue in extensions for probably a year until I get some hair back on my head.

If they are sewn in with those little beads, I recommend getting them removed because your own hair will become dreads and you'll regret it.

I now buy BOHEME (I think that's how it's spelled) and it's wonderful hair.  1 pack for $100 and it's lovely hair.  I've had it in about 3 months now.

In all honesty, talk to african american women and find out where they buy their hair.   I've gotten good advice because they seems to know where all the little places are that sell good hair.  Try to find Boheme ... perhaps you can sell the unused, unopen hair on ebay. 

Sally's wont' take it back ... I even sent it all back to them with a letter (corporate) and no response at all. They take no responsibility for their products.

I feel for ya ... get good Boheme hair, and have it put in gently in your hair so you can at least salvage the health of your own.

I glue mine in now and although it doesnt last long, you can always touch it up at home easily.  Just be careful when removing the glue ... if you slide it down the shaft of your hair with your nails, it can damage your hair.  Get it wet with some conditioner, soak it and knead it, then pull it out carefully (it feels like rubber cement).

As far as all my hair loss goes, I was told that KELP will really help it grow back quickly and thicker.  Go to GNC, get some Kelp and they also have a hair program which is fairly reasonable and I"m using it right now too.  I'm reading good results about this.

Good luck!!!

Edited by GetHipNow - January 31 2009 at 8:30pm
Sandy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 12:04am
wow your experiance was way worse than mine. That sucks. However do keep us updated on how the KELP is going for you. I am currently taking horse tale vitamins along with cod oil and biotene. To be honest I don't see much difference in the growth however I have noticed with the horse tale that any cut such as paper cut or anything relating to a wound heals so much faster and they say that horse tale is very good for that. Anyways my new growth of hair seems stronger and looks healthier but i havnet seen it grow dramadically so who knows...
Like I said keep us updated on how that goes with the KELP and thanks for the updateSmile

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - March 06 2009 at 7:19pm
Sinfuliphone.com
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 4:19pm
i used the sally's hair to make clips ins only and even after only using them a few times they got all tangly and  ratty looking..

only thing i found that helps is using a conditioner with ALOT of sillicones to give it that slip the hair needs

For every day use i would look to a better quality hair.. get what ya pay for
momofboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momofboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 12:24pm
Well I just bought some utip tease brand which are suppose to be great.  If I dont like those my next purchase will be ER.  ER is a little more pricey but they are a premium hair and I guess that is where I will end up.  I think the tease will work though.  I was told great things about tease and that they will stay in for up to 4 months!Thumbs%20Up
lpbailey8407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lpbailey8407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 9:30pm
sally's hair is great! i have bought 18" from them 3 times and every time they were fantastic!

i dyed and heat styled them and they were fantastic. only thing is, they do shed quit a bit when installing them with pretty much any method. great though especially for the price!
GetHipNow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetHipNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:14am
Wow, you are the first person I've ever heard that liked Sally's hair. 
Our of curiousity, which brand of Sally's did you purchase....and how long did it actually last? 

I find it all to be crap, even the most expensive hair they have doesn't last more than a few weeks before it starts drying out and frizzing.

I must be missing something here.

The hair I have in now is Bohyme (which can't be bought at Sally's) and I've been using it since around September.  It's STILL fantastic, even after every day washing and blow drying. 

It's amazing really.
Sandy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 2:29pm
you know i like sally's hair as well but only for like a week then it goes dry and yukkky... Please tell us what hair you bought including color cause for the price replacing the hair every month is not worth it. but if your getting something i'm not i'm dying to know what it is.. Wink

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - March 01 2009 at 2:30pm
Sinfuliphone.com
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:46pm

I have to agree with the Bohyme recommendation. Of all of the hair Ive used, Bohyme is the best.

LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 7:48pm
After reading this thread, I will NOT get Satin Strands!

I'm thinking about getting Euronext clip on extensions from Sally's.  

Originally posted by hflsales hflsales wrote:

I purchased the Euronext clip on extensions from Sally's and I absolutely love them! Especially love the price ($59 with Sally's card).

At least one person loves Euronext.  Thanks hflsales.  Has anyone else tried them?

Thanks, LV

Edited by LivLuv - March 03 2009 at 7:50pm
longhairaddict0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairaddict0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 10:39am
I installed the 18" I tips about 2 months ago and really like the hair.  I shower in warm water, use pureology and blow dry and flat iron.  I'm really rough on hair too. 

I still use pureology shampoo but I have fallen in love with Pantene Smooth conditioner and even though I know Pantene is a crappy brand this stuff makes anything silk!  Maybe that is the reason? Or it could be that I have the darkest brown?

I've been wearing bohyme for years and I find this comparable.  Maybe I just got a good batch and I probably won't buy it again because I usually go for much longer hair but otherwise I consider it a success.
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:43pm
Longhairaddict, 

Was it Sally's Satin Strands premium remi I Tips for $19.99 that you used?  I'd love to use a strand by strand method, because I just want a few highlights.  Can you give me some tips?

I used Pantene Smooth conditioner for over 5 years.  You're right.  It makes any hair like silk.  I had to stop using it because I had Brazilian Keratin Treatment, and you can't use anything with sodium chloride.  Luckily, I love the shampoo & conditioner that comes with BKT.

Keep using Pantene smooth.  It's so inexpensive that you can saturate your hair with it.  I've tried hundreds of conditioners.  Pantene smooth is the best.

LV

Edited by LivLuv - March 04 2009 at 1:48pm
longhairaddict0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairaddict0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 3:12pm
Yes, it was the Sally's Satin Strands I used.  I thought they were more but maybe I just bought alot of them.  Keep in mind I bought the very dark brown and I think others have been talking about the lighter colors so if you are going with highlights you might not have as good of results.

What is a Brazilian Keratin Treatment?
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by longhairaddict0 longhairaddict0 wrote:

What is a Brazilian Keratin Treatment?

BKT is the newest way to straighten & smooth hair.  It makes frizzy hair feel like silk for months.  It's much better than Japanese straightening which makes hair too straight, lifeless and resistant to curl. My hair is coarse, gray, frizzy and thick naturally.  After BKT my hair is shiny, smooth, bouncy with a slight wave, and I can curl my hair with a round brush.  It's miraculous.  It cost $225 for a 2 hour treatment in which they coat the hair with Keratin and flat iron. It's been 2 months, and my hair is still great.   My hair is so healthy that no hair falls out in the shower.  Amazing.  My stylist in Vegas travels the U.S. doing BKT.  

Longhairaddict, Would you please describe the method you use to install the Satin Strands?  Do you use glue, cold fusion, micro beads?  Can you do it yourself?  How much does it cost?

Thanks, LV

Edited by LivLuv - March 04 2009 at 6:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 6:24pm
LivLuv

I just wanted to input that I have done my own install with satin strands using the micro bead method and it is very easy.
If all your doing is some highlights I would do probably 1-3 in a row then space your natural hair depending on how wide you want the highlights to look. Here are some videos that will show you rather than tell you so you have a better idea. Keep in mind a lot of these are more for a full head install but it's all the same when it comes down to the micro install.
As for me if all you want is some highlights I would go with the micro bead because if you decide to take them out or rearrange or dont like them or whatever it is a lot easier for you especially for the first time. =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLRS0R_2Gzs&feature=PlayList&p=FE3BD44E84298178&index=27
that video is a good one but you will not find the loop tool at sally's you will have to use the hook tool which is just as easy.
hope it helped and good luck.

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - March 05 2009 at 6:24pm
Sinfuliphone.com
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 7:39pm
Hey S Girl!  Thanks so much for the video and info.  This looks perfect for highlights and easy, too.

I just have one question maybe you can answer.  Sallys micro fusion links come in small and large.  What size should I buy?

Sally's Satin Strands remi I-tips in Barcelona is the perfect shade.  Only $20.00 for 20 strands.  Even if it doesn't work out, I'm only out $20.00. 

Thanks, LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 2:45am
ALWAYS GET THE LARGE ONES the ONLY reason they even sell the small beads is for those who pre tip there own hair. meaning not already tiped. Yeah they use to sell the satin strands I tip hair in 100 packs for like $80 now they have discontinued those and gone with 20 packs. The ONE thing I hate most about that hair is after a few weeks it dries out and the ends get yuky so i would suggest to leave the ends a little longer so you can trim them periodically or as needed. I hope all works out and have fun. oh post some pic when you are done we always love to see the outcome Wink

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - March 06 2009 at 2:47am
Sinfuliphone.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic