Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help..my hair is falling out in clumps!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Chani* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Chani* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help..my hair is falling out in clumps!!
    Posted: December 28 2000 at 12:27pm
ever since i coloured my hairfrom Blonde to Auburn about 6 months ago it just started falling out in huge batches and Im terrified of loosing it all. I`ve stopped colouring my hair and Im using a mousturizing shampoo and conditioner and Im even taking Hair supplements twice a day, but none of its helping. Does anybody have any advice that can help me?
Karen Marie Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Marie Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2000 at 1:05pm
Reply to message: 21.940.1
Hi,

I understand how scary it can be when your hair falls out. Back in 1986 I was on a liquid protein diet, as a result of that diet my hair fell out in big clumps. A while back my hair started falling out as a result of a thyroid problem which was eventually resolved with doctor prescribed medications.

What to do? First of all it is important to find out if your hair is falling out as a result of some hidden medical problem or solely as a result of the chemicals you used to dye your hair.

I am not sure of your age but many women in their late 30s and through their 40s will experience hair loss as a result of hormonal changes.

There is also the potential of thyroid problems and this will definitely impact your hair. The good news is that once someone with thyroid problems get the right meds for thyroid problems your hair will be fine. Mine is better than ever now after a brush with thyroid problems.

Other medications can also impact hair loss. Some people will lose hair after starting birth control pills, after giving birth to a baby, or after major surgery or stress.

Also, serious illness can also sometimes cause hair loss.

I would suggest that you see your doctor first to make sure you are ok physically. If you are OK and have not started taking any new meds then I would suggest that you add flax seed oil to your diet. Start with 1 or 2 tablets and work your way up. I take 4-6 a day depending on what is happening with my hair and skin. Also, if you are taking Hair supplements make sure that they are rich in Vitamin B. Some aren`t which is amazing but true. Read the label to verify the contents of the supplement.

One other thing that helped me is Silicea that you can buy at the local grocery store. It is a supplement that by itself did not particularly help my hair, but in combo with the Flax Seed and my own hair vitamins, seemed to help a lot. Also, when my own hair was falling out I learned that I could slow it down by only washing my hair every other day.

I also did not use a blow dryer or any hot tools and let my hair air dry. I also used Aveda`s Beautifying Oil as a hot oil treatment to help strengthen my hair. That did help. It may not help everyone, but it does help many.

Finally it takes time. Once hair starts to fall out it may take time to stop.

Please let us know if we can help with more questions.

Best wishes,
Karen

Nell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2000 at 4:05pm
Reply to message: 21.940.1
quote:

*Chani* originally wrote:
ever since i coloured my hairfrom Blonde to Auburn about 6 months ago it just started falling out in huge batches and Im terrified of loosing it all. I've stopped colouring my hair and Im using a mousturizing shampoo and conditioner and Im even taking Hair supplements twice a day, but none of its helping. Does anybody have any advice that can help me?

I am big into herbs. Sorry about your hair but this is what I would recommend:

Condition of the hair is a direct link to health. Thin or falling hair is usually missing good diet & minerals. Things to add: silicea, fresh fruit, veggies, vitamins A&C & good B vitamins. Essential fatty acids will help (EFAs) like Flax Seed or other. Boron has been proven important for hair & you may be deficient. For falling hair try an infusion of nettle tea. Brew tea from health food store, let set till warm but not hot. Use fingertips and massage into scalp. Let set for 30 minutes (sorry it is messy) then rinse. Helps strenghten hair. May darken blonde hair so beware.

Good luck.
Nell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic