Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Don't you hate it when someone tugs your ponytail?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't you hate it when someone tugs your ponytail?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Equine_Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equine_Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't you hate it when someone tugs your ponytail?
    Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:10am
I am a guy and I have to wear my hair in a ponytail at work (McD's). My hair's not that long, so I have to wear it more mid-head than at the nape so it's a kind of dangling sticking out tail. There is one guy there that sometimes tugs it when he is behind me and makes comments about it being "cute" etc. I don't know if he is being smart or looking for a fight whatever. I am nervous about complaining to our shift supervisor though, so I just try to ignore it and finish my work - its only a temp job anyway.

Have you ever had to put up with people tugging at your tail and any thoughts on what I should say or do?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 5:13pm
I've never had my hair pulled in a harassing manner.

Next time it happens. Turn and face him, look him squarely in the eyes, and tell him firmly "Don't do that."  You're mad. Let it show.  But keep your cool.

You shouldn't have to tolerate bullying behavior, no matter your expected tenure in this position.  If he insists on pulling your hair, tell the shift supervisor about it.  If s/he refuses to deal with your complaint, tell her/him that you want to submit a formal complaint to management.  Chances are that will motivate your supervisor to take action.

Good luck.  Let us know what happens.

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 5:41pm
I don't remember the last time or if anyone has pulled mine. The only one I can think of doing it is maybe my aunt. But if she did it was years ago. I've had shoulder length or longer for 11 years.

But I agree that that is harrasing behavior and in a workplace is not to be tolerated. If your boss does not take your complaint seriously then go over their head. A chain like McD has plenty of bosses who are bosses of the other bosses. If you don't get results then you take some other action such as telling the local news or a lawyer.
It doesn't matter whether you are male or female. Invading personal space in a form like that when you did not give permission is harrasment. And if it isn't then it should be.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 8:02am
I agree, it sounds like a bully.  The only thing bullies seem to respect is when you stand up to them.  It seems to make them think "okay, this one could be a bully too, he's like me and I respect that".  I've known a few, and confronting them does always seem to work better than trying to ignore them.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

I agree, it sounds like a bully.  The only thing bullies seem to respect is when you stand up to them.  It seems to make them think "okay, this one could be a bully too, he's like me and I respect that".  I've known a few, and confronting them does always seem to work better than trying to ignore them.

I use to get picked on by this this bully all the time in school. He would call me names like little girl or queer or faggot. Well one time  he pushed me too far, he punched me in the gut I acted like I was really hurt than sucker punched him in the nose.

I was the one that got suspended. But he found someone else to pick on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic