Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair thinning in front!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GlamGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlamGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair thinning in front!
    Posted: October 11 2006 at 12:26pm

Recently, I've started to experience thinning hair in the front of my head.   My part also seems to be a bit wider as well.  I always lost a good amount of hair during washing and combing, but thought it was becuase I have very long hair - almost tailbone length.  Now, however, I really am beginning to worry.  The front is definitely thinner, and I am so afraid I'm going to get a bald spot!  My hair is such a big part of my life.  This is a nightmare!  Ha s anyone experienced anything similar?  What could be the possible cause?  I am going to make an appointment to see a doctor ASAP.  I'm trying to decide if I should go to my regular internist first, or to a dermatologist. 

Anyone who has any information or advice to offer, I would be so grateful.

Thanks.
cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 3:48pm
I lost a lot of hair through an iron deficiency, I didnt even know I had one! Go to the doctor for blood tests to check your iron, thyroid, hormones etc. Some meds also cause hairloss. My hair stopped falling out so much after 2 months on iron supplements but still waiting for regrowth after 5 months. You need to be under doctor supervision when taking iron as it can be dangerous to take such large amounts in supplements. Good luck.
Barbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 9:45pm
I have the same problem and am looking for a new hair style so it is not as noticable. I wish I could help you. If I get any information I will pass it on to you.
I am curious, what is the length of your hair? Mine is half way down my back. I have heard that longer hair can thin easier than shorter. Don't know if that is true that is another thing I am trying to find out.
Hugs Barbee
DallasCowboyFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DallasCowboyFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 10:27am
I have the same problem...  About a year ago i started to lose my hair all over.  I had thick hair and now it's thin and brittle Cry.  I think mine was related to going off Birth Control pills (hormonal) because right after i stopped taking them my hair started to fall out.  I was so depressed so i decided to go to the Dr's to find out why it was happening.  I had every test possible done and nothing came up wrong so i decided to do something on my own.  I started a regular diet, taking vitamins and tried to do as little as possible to my hair - such as blow drying and styling products.  I only use Alcohol-free products now so my hair won't dry out.  I went back on the BC because I think that was the reason it fell out to begin with - i was willing to try anything by this time to get my hair back.  I went looking online for some kind of solution and of course i was so desperate to get my hair back i fell for one of those stupid ads that said "this will help you hair healthy hair"...  I bought Kevis for 400.00.  This made my hair problem WORSE!!  It not only fried my hair but my hair started breakin and falling out even more - i was extremely upset and just decided to start eating right and try to not let it bother me because there was nothing that i could do at this point.  After being back on the BC pill for a year and eating right my hair was growing back.  But since i used Kevis and it fried my hair - my hair is really thin in the front so much it's starting to show now.  I can't stand looking at in the mirror - i just cry Cry...    
I now use a combination of a product called Dermatch and Toppik to cover up the thinning areas as much as possible.  It's very depressing getting ready in the morning knowing before i leave for work that i have to cover my balding areas and i'm only 34 years old.  I thought i wouldn't have to worry about this stuff until i was in my 40's.  Sometimes it makes me so depressed i don't even want to go out and mingle because i'm embarrased by my thinning hair.  I even get embarassed around my boyfriend and even though i know he loves me i still can't stand the thought of him seeing me bald...  Does anyone else feel this way too?  And the scary thing now is that he wants to have a baby and i'm so scared that if i go off the BC pills again my hair loss will start again... 
Carolredskirt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolredskirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 4:08pm
It isn't bad for a woman to be bald. Some female fashion models even shave their heads and wear the bald look. It is a sexy, unique, exotic look for a woman if she is a nice looking woman. I've seen a number of beautiful women wearing the bald look, either because they are bald with alopecia or they shave their heads because they prefer to wear the bald look. Natalie Portman and Bai Ling both said when they shaved their heads that they got many compliments and felt very beautiful and feminine being bald. They liked wearing the bald look.

I am a lady in my 30s, who is completely bald with AU and have been for years, and I am plenty beautiful.
I am with a wonderful handsome man (who has gorgeous long hair) who thinks I am adorable, and I have three great kids (who all have full heads of hair).
I wear blonde bob cut wigs, but also on occasion doll myself up in a sexy dress, makeup and beautiful long dangle earrings and go out on the town bald, and I usually get compliments on my bald look. Bald is beautiful on ladies!

So you are a Dallas Cowboy fan?
Well anyone could tell you the best fans in the country are the New York Giants fans! The Giants have Eli Manning!
Actually I am not a huge football fan, but as a loyal New York City area lady, the Giants are my team. The Giants play the Cowboys on Sunday. We shall see who wins.

Edited by Carolredskirt - November 30 2006 at 4:30pm
1lindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 5:33pm
I had a similar problem that responded to adding a multi vitamen and OTC biotin to my diet.  I also started using a hair loss shampoo called Nisim. Also I cut my hair a bit shorter that I had worn it and avoided pulling on it like with blow drying excessively.
The result...in about 3 months, I noticed a little improvement and in 6 mo. I felt back to almost normal.  Right now, my hair has never looked as good and I get compliments alot.
My problems started right after I had a hysterectomy and the doctor put me on a hormone replacement that contained testosterone.  In hind sight, I think that was the culprit.  I quit the testosterone also.
I hope this helps just one person, as I know what a frustrating and demeaning problem this can be!
Vampyfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vampyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 8:41pm
ShockedI read that you thought the culprit might have been the testosterone, but if you do need to take the hormone replacement, without testosterone, the correct levels won't be reached. Perhaps there was too much of a high dosage of testosterone? I just want to warn you that when you get to the menopause stage, even with no womb, you get hit by the most dreadful, unbearable sweats, day and night.

It happened to me, even though I had a hysterectomy at 28 years old. I thought it would be easy on me, but I suffered for years, not wanting the HRT which put weight on me. I found Estrogens in the form of Estrodial, (used by doctors more in the past) I did not gain weight, and my symptoms have diminished greatly.

Vampyfox
Author/Performer
(Pic taken a few months ago)
www.donni-jay.com
Vampyfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vampyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 8:57pm
CryI really sympathise with you about the thinning of your hair. As you become older you will lose some volume and having hair as long as yours, will make it noticeable on the ends. Also, although there is no actual proof I know about, it has been reported that the extra weight can cause more hair than normal to fall out. You have noticed the loss at the front more, at the moment, but that might spread over the top areas.

If you have had all the medical tests that 'Cinderella' has suggested, you may need to find out why this is happening to you. The hair clinic's are very good, and do microscopic tests on the scalp. You should be able to find out why your hair is thinning so, and start treatments. They use proven methods, and are very helpful. But, I can suggest you use rosemary oil, and lavender oil bonded with almond oil.
It's possible the hair on top has gone into a long resting phase. The oil  treatment above, using fingertips to dab onto your scalp, will prevent excess hair loss, and has been proved to re-grow hair, even on balding parts. You may want to try this before spending money on dermatologists or hair clinics.

As for Toppick to hide the thinning areas, that's good, especially when used in conjunction with Couvre, which hides the scalp from showing through. You can still use these cover ups along with the oils. Just don't use too much that it becomes greasy.

I wish you good luck!Wink
Vampyfox
Author/Performer
(Pic taken a few months ago)
www.donni-jay.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic