Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Be Proud of African Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Good&Thick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good&Thick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Be Proud of African Hair
    Posted: October 11 2006 at 12:39pm

African hair is unique... it's something that all blacks should be proud of.... so why do some black people refer to their hair as nappy or bad?   It's just different and something to be proud of.... think about we are unique..... we are the only race that have our kind of hair...... and WE CAN DO WAY MORE STLYES WITH OUR HAIR THAN ANY RACE!!!! So it's time to stop referring to our hair as bad or nappy....its unique and gorgeous...... Im proud and African hair can definitly get as long as any other race hair..... my friend hair is almost to here butt.....and she's black....  but people say I have good hair due to my Grandmother being Indian.... but that's not the case I am African American and I am PROUD OF IT AND MY HAIR!!!!!!!!

OUR HAIR IS UNIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY RACE WITH OUR GORGEOUS HAIR!!!
Trying to break through the struggles that life brings
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 10:01pm
ITA- Good & Thick
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Tennsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 12:37am
Preach on sista!!!  I agree 100%.  I love my hair, no matter what length, style, whatever...its a blessing to be black and to have the hair that I have.  I couldn't be prouder!!!
Current Hair Length: Ear
Hair Goal Length: Chin/Neck (Mar. 2007)
Ultimate Desired Length: APL, BSL (May 2008)

My Fotki
soon2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soon2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 6:00pm
I love my hair, but the comments is something that is instilled in many African-Americans/ Blacks. We have been taught to not like our hair and to change it to fit in with the rest of society....we are the only race that has had to do that(ex.perm/relaxer/texturizer). No wonder we don't love our hair. I don't condem anyone who does it, but that is my take on it.
hairtype:3C-4A
Tranistioning:last perm 1/29/06
Learning to embrace my true beauty and loving it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good&Thick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 10:42pm
Well your right but it's time to make a change for the next generation by starting with this one.... I mean we all should have enough sense to realize that hey okay we are DIFFERENT and our HAIR IS DIFFERENT and embrace the fact not condemn it....we are unique what's so bad about that..... we are special.... and so is our hair..... and people need to realize that and stop thinking about how people taught them not to like their hair because it's different...... what they should stick to is different not bad
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 8:30pm
I concur with you Smile.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 5:55pm
Agreed
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 2:40pm
I must admit I didn't have a good relationship with my hair before finding these boards but I really appreciate every single strand now
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Heavenseventeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenseventeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 2:50pm
Just because I relax my hair, it doesn't mean that I'm not proud of who I am.

And we're not the only race who mess with our hair, other races straighten it, curl it, etc because they're not happy with it. The grass always looks greener.
Dance? I Am! And I'm Flying Too...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good&Thick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 3:56pm

But we are specificly talking about our hair... we are the only one with the texture of hair we have.... we're not talking about who style what... we are talking about our hair being different and embrancing the fact not condemning it...we need no longer to consider our hair bad/nappy it's just different and beautiful.... we should feel special!

Kvon_Nice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kvon_Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 12:19pm
Clap
I pitty The Fool!
lyrical27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 5:40pm
you know i think we are just losing touch with reality because so many of our idols have the most beautiful hair. yet what we forget is that they have their own personally stylist with them almost 24-7, and we dont. lol.

so, as a result we dream of having beautiful hair like them and envy them while learning to either love what we got or make it suit us so that we feel in some way "like" them; however rarely see them with a bad hair day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good&Thick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 8:23pm
well yes you do have a point but we should start now and make a decision what is beauty.....how do we classify beauty.....Beauty don't have to be our idols with all the tracks...and weave and stylist..... that fits in the normal society being like everyone else.....straight hair instuff...... but instead African hair.... differenet but beautiful because of the fact being different.....it's time to wake-up and realize that our hair has always been beautiful and no matter what we put in our hair...like perms/relaxers/etc. our hair will always be different from everyone else.... and always be beautiful.....
I am proud!!!!!!!!!!!!1Star
lyrical27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 8:32pm

i strongly agree

kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 6:54pm
It's a hard thing to explain if you want refer to your hair as curly or coily. These are just mere classification of our hair type and yes nappy was once popular. If you have a problem with the classification than come up with something different and make it popular, the sad truth is that nappy is already popular and it's use is both a negative and positive.

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 10:42pm

I LOVE my hair and I relax it.  Some people may look at this as a contradiction.  "If you love your hair, you shouldn't relax it" they may say.  I believe I could make the same statement for hair coloring.  I could say "if you love your hair you wouldn't color it".  The fact of the matter is, people could love their hair and relax it, color it, dread it, braid it, whatever.  It's exactly like you said: the beauty in our hair is the versatility.  I admire the beauty in every kind of african hair, whether it's natural, relaxed, or what have you .  And as for myself, I take very good care of my hair.  I keep it moisturized and I treat it with the greatest care, and it never lets me down.  Everyone should just be themselves and do what makes them happy.  If having natural hair makes you happy, then rock on, sistah!  If you like to relax your hair or alter it in some other way, then that's okay, too.  Just listen to your hair and what it needs and you'll always have love for your hairTongue.

Edited by ccmuffingirl - September 13 2007 at 10:43pm
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
CuteandSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteandSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 11:47pm
Good&Thick & ccmuffingirl   I feel where the both of you ladies are coming from!

You know its so unfortunate but this is just another "self-hate" issue that our community deals with.   I too do not use words like "nappy" or good or bad when speaking of our hair.  I was taught this early.  I was also taught not to refer to locs as dreads because there is nothing "dreadful" about them.   You know it's just amazing how we continue to perpetuate these negative stigmas in our society and communities.  Even the well educated and most pro-black people I've come across tend to deal with these self hate issues with black hair often.   It's like this, on the case of weave:

Your ancestors EXTENDED their hair PRIOR to the transatlantic slave trade  (ie Egyptians extended their hair with yarn).  The basic notion of Hair extensions are NOT new NOR are they really this idea of necessarily wanting to have a euro look or hating your own hair.   It's amazing to me how a woman can wear braids and still love her self but tracks can mean (TO SOME) that she doesn't love her own hair.   People can extend their locs and no one will assume that they don't love their own natural hair.   Also, we know that their was a time when white men were wool wigs.  So were they all white self hating black wanna bee's b/c their wigs were textured??  Also, weaves/wigs are just not tailored to the AA community.   Women are wearing weaves and extensions all across the board (racial lines) period.

On the case of relaxers and heat...  people of African decent had long used heavy pomade type products to attempt with "taming" their hair before this ideal of self-hate.   However, now to some the mere idea of taming your hair has such a negative stigma with us.  When taming your hair isn't necessarily negative it's just the connotation thats placed with it.  If you think about it just putting your hair into a ponytail.  Two strand twisting it, braiding it, or whatever is some method of "taming or controlling it."  Furthermore, do you think that if the transatlantic slave trade didn't exist that a prominent intelligent business savvy Black woman like Madme CJ walker wouldn't have existed still?  Hot irons, straightening combs, etc would have still existed however it wouldn't have been seen as negative (to some) to use them.

Hair color...  well I don't have to tell you all that our ancestors colored their hair with natural products right?  So what's the big deal.  I do agree that if not taken care of properly the chemicals can ruin your hair if you aren't going to take care of it then you shouldn't put it in.

On the other hand there are those that truly see something wrong with natural African hair and this is why it is important for us to discontinue the usage of "nappy" and "good" or "bad" hair.   It's sad that Spike lee made that School Daze movie like in the 80's.  Remember the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfEmTHeYNw) ... talking about good or bad hair......     practically two decades later we are still dealing with whether we have "good" or "bad" hair.  It's really ridiculous.   Especially when you see other cultures embracing what we are able to naturally do with our hair. Such as loc it so easily.  There are so many ppl on this very board who like locs and are not of African decent but theirs doesn't loc like ours so they use synthetic locs.   While we are still around hating the BEAUTY that we have and that is CHOICES.  We can do it all.   It's really sad, sometimes when I'm reflecting on issues such as this it literally sickens me.

Anyway, it isn't weaves, relaxers, extensions, etc..  that are necessarily negative it goes back to the same thing.  It's the mentality.   We need more self love. << Every problem we tend to have traces back to this.

I have been relaxed, colored, short, long, locked, braided, kinky twist, weaved up, and now im natural (and weaved up off and on) and I WOULD do all of the above over again depending on what the heck im in the mood for.    So I too am so sick of hearing the oohhh  you have "good" hair.    You have the hair that GOD gave you and everything HE does is GOOD!

Also, personally I don't remember when nappy was used in a positive way??  Furthermore, when you understand the origin of the word why would you want to use it?  I just don't get that... 
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 10:36pm
Nicely put, CuteandSassy.  We should just all love our hair and have respect for other people's hair.  It makes no sense to me when I hear naturals hating on relaxed or relaxed hating on naturals.  What we do to our hair is our own personal decision, and it isn't self hatred to want to achieve a desired look with your hair.  Variety is the spice of life, and we are entitled to do with our appearance whatever we see fit.  Just make sure you are giving your hair what it needs, and all will be fine.  It is OUR hair that's growing out of our scalp, whether it has been chemically altered or not.  So let us take pride in our tresses, no matter what their appearance may be, and strive to give it what it needs when it needs it.
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by lyrical27 lyrical27 wrote:

you know i think we are just losing touch with reality because so many of our idols have the most beautiful hair. yet what we forget is that they have their own personally stylist with them almost 24-7, and we dont. lol.

so, as a result we dream of having beautiful hair like them and envy them while learning to either love what we got or make it suit us so that we feel in some way "like" them; however rarely see them with a bad hair day.

agreed!!
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 8:56pm
I dunno about yall..........BUT IM HAPPY TO BE NAPPY!!! Tongue

I have no problem referring to my hair as nappy, cuz it is! I like the term, its catchy and different, just like african american hair is different. My point is, a word is a word, it depends on the person and how they take it. Just like that other word in the black community, that some ppl hate and others use on the daily basis.

BOTTOM LINE: Who really cares? If you like your hair, more power to ya! If you hate it, then do what ever you want to make it the way you want. This is a FREE country and we have free will and choice to do whatever we please. This argument of society having playing a role is the same argument  for a lot of things. Just take out the word hair and put in weight, beauty, self-esteem, etc. Lets move on from this, we are only prolonging the problem by talking about it over and over and over again.

IM OUT!Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic