Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Persistent Yeast Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persistent Yeast Issues
    Posted: October 13 2006 at 1:53am

When I was 15 years old my mother decided that she would take preventive measures to make sure I did not develop the family acne curse.  As a result she took me for weekly visits to a dermatologist who gave me a shot of preventive antibiotics along with treating my skin with ultraviolet rays.

I had gorgeous skin but immediately started having problems with yeast (which I did not realize at the time) and my weight became an instant problem.  I could starve myself (as teens do) but if I ate any bread, pasta or sugar I would instantly swell to the point that my fingers would ache.

Of course no medical doctors had a clue what was wrong with me.  By the time I was 19 I found myself in the yeast/bladder infection cycle that many women suffer through without understanding why.

I later discovered that the antibiotics that they gave me for the bladder infections encouraged the recurring yeast infections which I treated with prescribed creams that encourage bladder infections.

I finally got my yeast under control with the help of alternative physicians.  My bladder infections became so crippling that I had to go to a urologist and the tests that they did could be featured in a torture film.

A nutritionist helped me understand that sugar, carbs, bread and other foods would help the yeast to grow.

I learned the trick of using plain yogurt as a substitute for the creams. 

It worked for awhile and then stopped working.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that even Dannon plain yogurt has sugar.  So in essence I was feeding the candida.

I think discovered powdered acidophilious which I take now every morning before I eat.  I also discovered that liguid acidophilious works much better than yogurt.

I am still (years later) finding out what foods trigger candida events but knock on wood I have not had major yeast problems for several years.

I would love to hear how others are dealing with their yeast issues - whether medically or wholistically.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 1:01pm
i seem to get yeast around every cycle and sometimes even worse vaginitis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a headache
but i found that taking certain herbs it has helped get rid of it.

Babycheeks
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 5:17pm

Hi,

Yes...this is an excellent product.  I used to take it for years and there this was this problem between Whole Foods and the health department and they removed it from the shelves for awhile and I stopped taking it.  But it is great and you have reminded me that I need to get back on it again.

Thanks for the link.  This is great.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 10:52pm
I havent had many yeast issues,but I can tell you what I know about getting an infection. Never use a yeast infection treatment that is only one day or 3 day,or even 5 day.
My sister has chronic yeast problems and was told to completely get rid of an infection you need to take the 7 day treatment.
dr.cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr.cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2008 at 6:49am

Yeast infections are one of the most common reasons that women consult health care professionals. Yeast infections result from an overgrowth of a species of fungus called candida albicans. The hallmark symptom of vaginitis caused by a yeast infection is itching of the external and internal genitalia, which is often associated with a white discharge that can be thick, curdy, or like cottage cheese. Severe infections lead to inflammation of the tissue and subsequent redness, swelling, and even pinpoint bleeding.

Dietary changes that may be helpful: A well-balanced diet low in fats, sugars, simple carbohydrates, and refined foods is important for preventing vaginal infections caused by candida. A high-sugar diet encourages the overgrowth of the candida organisms.1 Women who have a yeast infection (or are predisposed to such infections) should limit their intake of refined sugar, fruits, fruit juices, refined carbohydrates, and alcohol.

Lifestyle changes that may be helpful: Yeast infections are three times more common in women who wear nylon underwear or tights than those wearing cotton underwear.2 Additional predisposing factors for candida infection include the use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and steroids.

Underlying health conditions that may predispose someone to candida overgrowth include pregnancy, diabetes mellitus, and HIV infection. Allergies have been reported to cause recurrent yeast vaginitis. When the allergens are avoided and the allergies treated, often the chronic recurring yeast infections are resolved.3 In most cases, sexual transmission between partners is not considered an issue in yeast infection. However, in extremely persistent cases, sexual transmission should be considered, with the partner being examined and treated.

dr.cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr.cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 11:05am

Yeast infections are one of the most common reasons that women consult health care professionals. Yeast infections result from an overgrowth of a species of fungus called candida albicans. The hallmark symptom of vaginitis caused by a yeast infection is itching of the external and internal genitalia, which is often associated with a white discharge that can be thick, curdy, or like cottage cheese. Severe infections lead to inflammation of the tissue and subsequent redness, swelling, and even pinpoint bleeding.

Dietary changes that may be helpful: A well-balanced diet low in fats, sugars, simple carbohydrates, and refined foods is important for preventing vaginal infections caused by candida. A high-sugar diet encourages the overgrowth of the candida organisms.1 Women who have a yeast infection (or are predisposed to such infections) should limit their intake of refined sugar, fruits, fruit juices, refined carbohydrates, and alcohol.

Lifestyle changes that may be helpful: Yeast infections are three times more common in women who wear nylon underwear or tights than those wearing cotton underwear.2 Additional predisposing factors for candida infection include the use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and steroids.

Underlying health conditions that may predispose someone to candida overgrowth include Pregnancy, Diabetes  mellitus, and HIV infection. Allergies have been reported to cause recurrent yeast vaginitis. When the allergens are avoided and the allergies treated, often the chronic recurring yeast infections are resolved.3 In most cases, sexual transmission between partners is not considered an issue in yeast infection. However, in extremely persistent cases, sexual transmission should be considered, with the partner being examined and treated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic