Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how attatched are you to your long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 12:23pm

Good question, Leia1979. By the way, at 13, I was a standby in two scenes of the episode Reunion of "Kung Fu: the Legend Continues". One of the scenes happened in a shaolin temple. I was just a martial arts student and wore jeans and a plaid shirt, but there were a bunch of guys being filmed that day who represented monks or priests. This is interesting: most of the guys had their hair shaved CLEAN OFF (including a fellow who had gone in with a beard, gone too), but the two main characters (Kwai Chang Caine and his son Peter) had their hair covered by skullcaps that take several hours to put on. Now take into account that David Carradine, who played Caine, had long hair, and that these skullcaps would have to be put on EVERY EPISODE they had flashbacks to the time when Caine was in the temple. Which, I think, was in many if not most/all episodes. So if the studio spent all that time and trouble on getting skullcaps to mask the two main actors' hair (and while I may be wrong, I'd say KFTLC wasn't the highest budget production), I wonder why so many highly paid actors in big budget movies allow makeup to "wreck" their hair instead of just giving them a wig. A minor example: Colin Farrell having his hair bleached in Alexander the Great. Less minor examples: Mandy Moore going from very long to short hair in How to Deal. Catherine Zeta Jones did reportedly have a bob wig cover her long hair in Chicago, but this seems to be almost an exception to a rule.

Admittedly sometimes it might be hard to get a wig for this purpose, for example, when Demi Moore takes clippers to her hair in G. I. Jane and gives herself a buzz cut. I don't know if you could make a buzz cut wig, I. E. the base being like a scalp and the hairs all being stubble. I must admit, however, Demi is a rare lady, in my opinion, who looks good with a buzz cut!

sarondie11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 12:35pm

Well, the celebrities can just spend the big bucks to wear extentions until their hair grows out, or they thrive on the publicity of doing crazy things to their hair.

As far as being attached to my own hair...sometimes my friends will pretend threaten me with scissors just to see my reaction. They can't believe I've spent three years growing my hair from a chin-length cut. My hair is the one thing that always makes me feel beautiful, and I'll keep it long for as long as I can.

Jenny21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 9:19pm
I'm also attached to my long hair, although I must admit that there are many times where I think of getting my scissors and cutting it short.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:09pm
oh my god... SO attached to my hair.  i've had long hair my whole life, with the exception of about 4 years ago when i cut it chin-length twice.  that was fun and all, but like a lot of other people said, i'm just not me without my long hair.  luckily my hairdresser is a family friend who's been cutting my hair since i first had hair, and so she knows not to even mention shorter hair unless i bring it up first.  she even takes special care to cut off as little as possible when i go for a trim.  but man, if i ever went to someone who suggested a shorter look, i think i'd probably walk out of the salon.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 5:34am

Sarondie, is that you in the avatar? Your hair is gorgeous. You can keep it long for the rest of your life!

I have to ask, did you have the chin-length hair just once (how long was it before) or did you have it shorter for awhile? How did you decide to grow it? Did you have any trims while growing it out and if so, how often?

Edited by duke
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 5:42pm
I didn't used to be attached to my hair, but now that I had to deal with an ear length bob in 2003, I'm quite attached to it.  I didn't know what I had till I chopped it off!  Won't be doing that again, ever.  I avoid salons to avoid that whole situation where they want to cut off too much.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 8:18pm

Hi Hi:

I really do love my long hair. 

The men seem to like it also.

Susan

Edited by deltagirl12345
Susan
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 1:44am

I love my hair when it is long and can't wait to get back there again.

I cut my waist length hair in 2000 to about an inch all over.

NEVER again!

To answer the question: I now trim my own hair, but if I were in a stylist's chair and they suggested a shorter cut, it wouldn't be a matter of how quickly I would give in, it would be a question of how many times the chair would spin around before I reached my car to leave! 

My hair, MY way!

SF

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:29am
Very attached, I'm another person who's just not herself without it. It took plenty of healthy rebellion to get it long and keep it that way growing up, and if I didn't have that stubborn streak, a lot of things besides my hair would be different (and not in a good way). I feel free with it resting on my shoulders and back or blowing in the wind, and I feel in control with it pulled back. It would take rather extraordinary circumstances to get me to go short.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
OceanicDreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OceanicDreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 1:06am

Am I attached to my hair? Ask anyone who knows me, and they’ll say it surpasses attachment…most likely, they‘ll answer it boarders more on the lines of an obsession.

I wouldn’t be caught dead in a hairdresser’s chair (I cut my own hair), but for kicks, if I was hypothetically… First, I’d probably sit there for hours debating with the hairdresser, telling her/him my long haired life story…my first haircut…the whole nine yards. Now, if the hairdresser was still awake, then I’d lecture her/him from A to Z on why I keep my hair long and why it’s like that for a reason… I’d probably scare the hairdresser so much that he/she wouldn’t want to cut my hair anymore, and the next time they encountered another fellow longhaired person…they’d think twice about suggesting “a little trim”…

We’ve all been there and done that with botched haircuts (I know I have)…an inch turns into three, and then three turns into eight…

Nicole

LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 11:28am
I have become VERY attached to my hair. It is no longer a vanity issue but more of a comfort issue...like a small child that sucks their thumb or clings to a security blanket. I have learned so many wonderful tips and tricks from this site...but most importantly I have learned to just leave my hair alone and enjoy the various lengths as I'am growing it long again.  
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 12:33pm

Hi Hi:

LongBraidZ wrote: " I have learned so many wonderful tips and tricks from this site...but most importantly I have learned to just leave my hair alone and enjoy "

I totally agree with her.  I also have learned so much from so many nice people. 

Thank you all.

Susan

Susan
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:55pm

I just had a haircut last night. Long layers... came out realy pretty but I also chopped at least 3 inches off... I still love the cut but I miss my long long hair. I felt sad when I saw the floor full of my hair last night. I still feel sad... I have mixed feelings right now.   

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:37pm

Oh no! I remember you saying your hair was tailbone length! Well, I'm still happy to hear you say it "came out really pretty" though. here's a ((((HUG)))))

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 3:18pm

Just be glad it wasn't a huge disaster which you hate.  Now *that* would be a waste or hair

Now, I would NEVER let anyone but me cut my hair, so the hairdresser would get a slap, and an angry letter/angry chat with me and the manager.

But, if someone very close to me lost their hair through illness for instance, someone like my sister or best friend, I would give up length for a wig for them.  I'd never do that anyone who I didn't know and love very much indeed.

So, I'm attatched to it.  More attatched than I am to most things.  But it's not the be-all and end-all to me

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by sarondie11 sarondie11 wrote:

They can't believe I've spent three years growing my hair from a chin-length cut. My hair is the one thing that always makes me feel beautiful, and I'll keep it long for as long as I can.

It's a beauty asset, available to almost anyone and everyone.  All one needs to do is to accept it, as a gift.  Oddly, many don't.

Beautiful hair you've got, Oceanic Dreams!   I agree that there are still a lot of unenlightened stylists out there "practicing" their craft.

(( CrazyGirl ))  I hope you're feeling better - or more resolved.  Either one is good, right?

Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 12:30am
What do you like best about your hair -the appearence or it's presence and how it feels?
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 7:15am
I like Both and I am very atached.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 9:50am
I have got elbow length hair...it would be nice if I could grow it longer, I'd love to have it to my waist but I think elbow length is as long as my hair will grow. Anyone have any tips on making it longer?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

I have got elbow length hair...it would be nice if I could grow it longer, I'd love to have it to my waist but I think elbow length is as long as my hair will grow. Anyone have any tips on making it longer?

#1  Don't cut or trim
#2  Treat it very gently
#3  As much as possible, avoid excessive products, chemicals, and heat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic