Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help! White bulbs at the root area, I'm scared!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! White bulbs at the root area, I'm scared!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlueEyedGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueEyedGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! White bulbs at the root area, I'm scared!
    Posted: November 05 2006 at 9:58pm
I had my extensions done using microlinks about two weeks ago. Everything looked well at my one week check up. However today, I had a look and am noticing white bulbs and hairs sticking out at the root area of my microlinks. It does seem like hairdresser used enough hair so I have no idea what's happening.

Does this mean that I have to take them out now? Will I go bald? I so don't want to go back to my old short hair but I want to go bald even less. Cry

Also I should mention that I have been wearing a very tight pony the day before (I haven't done this previously) could this be the cause of breakage?

frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 8:34am
Hi BlueEyedGirl,
I am not totally sure about what you have but it really looks like you have too much pressure on your natural hair and your natural hair is pulled out of your head- I hope it makes sense!-
The white bulb is the root of your natural hair, it stays stuck in the microring though so you can still see it.
I have had exactly the same experience a few times with fusion extensions.
It was because the amount of hair extensions glued to my own hair was too big and heavy compared to the natural hair strands it was attached to.
It could also be, in your case, that your hair is just naturally too fragile for fusion method and you should go with Protac or sew in or Liquid Gold, which I think is better for fine hair ( I personally only tried sew-in and Protac, didn't like sew-in at all and love Protac)
I would advice you to have the hair extensions removed quickly, because it sounds like it's damaging your own hair a lot. You should show it to your hair stylist too if you had it done by a hair dresser, because she probably did a poor job.
Maybe you can post some pics of your hair so we can tell better what's going on?... Good luck!
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 9:38am
Just as you said, some people's hair is just too fragile.  When I wear strands, I always get the white bulb thing going on because my hair is fragile.  In the long run after many years, I think it may have done a little damage, but it's worth it to get the hair that I would never have any other way.

I'd check with your hairstylist though.  Let her know your concerns.
Poose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 1:11pm
This happens to me as well, first when I had heat seals professionally done, and now when I do diy mircolinks.
 I am sure it's mostly just beacuase of how hard you are brushing (remember to hold the hair as you brush!) and maybe the shampoo you use, I switched to a baby shampoo and was brushing alot more gently, and now I only notice a few "bulbs" (LOL!)  with my mircolinks, where-as when I had heat seals, they were literally falling out of my hair at the roots...(I lost about 5-7 whole sealed strands! ...then again I was bleaching my hair from dark brown to white....)
point is, youre being to hard on your scalp, you probably don't need to take all you extensions out, just try and be more careful and double check your roots in a couple weeks. Smile
^..^
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 2:20pm
I once asked a dr. about the white bulbs. I was told that when they're white it means the hair has natually shed. When they're dark it means the hair has been pulled out. What I'm thinking is that the white bulbs you see are from hair that has shed and is stuck in the bond. If you don't feel tension then you should be fine.

nomorebaldie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomorebaldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 3:03pm
The white bulb is actual sebum that is is attached to the follicle of the hair itself.  When this is removed intact, you have actually traumatized the follicle itself.  Not to fear though, this regenerates itself, and produces a new hair.  However, for some reason when this part of the root is pulled from the epidermis prematurely before shedding naturally it is not unusual for the new  hair that is produced to actually be two fine hairs instead of one thick one.   Ever heard the saying "Don't pull out a gray hair or two will come back?"  Actually that is not an old tale, sometimes there is some truth to it.  Almost always the hair grows back. It may just seem finer because you will probably have two instead of one.
Darling Nikkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 2:23pm
I think it's natural shedding... . We all lose quite a few hairs every day. It's just that when you see them while they're stuck in your extra strands it can be a bit scary, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've had braids, sewn in wefts, fusion and when I took out the braids for the very first time I was in panic! So much of my hair was gone, I was holding hands full of it!
Of course after 3 months or so it's perfectly normal, I know that now.
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic