Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about mixing Ion Brilliance colors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about mixing Ion Brilliance colors
    Posted: November 18 2006 at 2:48pm
I plan on dyeing my hair this weekend and I have a box of Revlon High Dimension Sultry Chestnut in Russet but I'm not sure if I want to use it. It seems that this line seems to go on really dark and my hair is already porous from previous colorings, so I dunno. Plus it's feeling kinda dry from my last dye and I'd like to use something gentle, and Ion Brilliance left my hair feeling GREAT.

The thing is, last time  I dyed it with that I used Light Copper Brown and it still ended up fairly dark. I realize that's partly because my hair was previously dyed... but it also didn't have as much "copper" to it as I would have liked. So I was thinking, would it be a bad idea to mix their Light Copper Brown with Light Copper Blonde? The blonde shade has more intense copper color, which might give me what I want in combination with the Light Copper Brown. Or would that be bad idea since it's a BLONDE shade? I don't want the light blonde color, I just want the coppery color deposit.

Also, how would I know what ratio to mix?
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 2:37am

Hi Cambria,

I had the same experience with ION colorants, and I hate them, they don't leave your hair feeling bad, but they come out really dark.  I chose their light reddish brown and I processed and timed it to the T and it was way too dark.  I would recommend trying another brand.  I have been mixing blonde shades with medium to light brown shades for two years because brown dyes tend to turn out dark.  I love Loreal Preferrences shade called "Mega Browns - Caramel" it is a brown that mixes well with coppery blondes.  I 've used it a couple of times, and it always turns out soft and natural, you can try with one of Preferrences coppery blondes, I actually mixed it with the one called "burnished copper" and I did 1/2 oz. to 1/2 oz. 

Just a suggestion...
Peggy
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 12:49am
Thanks so much for your reply!  It's strange that you suggested that!  I was just at Sally's tonight and was eyeing the Preference Mega Browns and the Burnished Copper!  I was thinking of trying the Burnished Copper on it's own - do you think that could turn out badly?  I don't want to be orange, that's for sure!  But I really want the "copper" part to be noticeable!  Do you think I'd be better off mixing it with Mega Browns Caramel?  Can you describe the color you got from mixing the two?  Also, what volume developer would I use?  20, or something higher to lift a little? 

Thanks! Star

Edited by cambria - November 27 2006 at 12:51am
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 10:25am
Cambria,

Nice to hear from you. The burnished copper is a beautiful color, I have not used it alone though.  What you could do is mix equal parts of each, or you could mix more of the copper and less of the caramel.  This is funny but I just used that caramel last week to tone down my vibrant copper auburn to a coppery brown, because the base of the caramel is blue and gold it keeps that brassy orangey tint down. If you don't like it with using more of the copper, try more of the caramel next time.  If you have been dying your hair alot lately you might want to back off and give your hair a break, permanent color does damage your hair, even if it's not visible, which is why I am getting ready to try Redken shades EQ, it's a semi permanent dye/Glosser that adds lots of color and lots of shine!!!  I can't wait to try it. 
You can buy it on ebay unless you have cosmetology license.  I used 20 lift, I don't really like the results of higher lifts with products that don't require them, it's not that great.  Good Luck - hope your results are fabulous.

Peggy...
Peggy
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 1:43pm
Hi!  Thanks so much for the super-fast reply!  I don't think that I've dyed my my hair too much... I first dyed with L'Oreal Excellence to cover a bad home-highlighting job.  Then a month later I dyed again with the Ion, then about a month and a half later, I dyed it with the Wella.  That was a little over three weeks ago and I won't dye again until at the very soonest next weekend.  I've been taking real good care of it though and haven't really felt much damage until I dyed with the Wella.

Anyway, I was looking on the Redken site trying to find their color swatches (never did find them) and I came across this picture:

That's the exact color I want.  But since I can't find the Redken color swatches, I have no idea what shade that would be?  Does the combination of the two Preference shades give a color similar to that?  Either way I'll give it a shot, and if I'm not satisfied with that maybe I'll try the Redken.  :)

Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 3:51pm

Cambria,

Yes, that hairs sharp isn't it?  I believe you can find the color swatch chart on the professional website under "New Mosiac Coppers", under that it lists, color technics and another option and color chart for New Mosiac Coppers, you can click on the first one to see how they actually "wove" the colors to get the results in this picture.  You'd definitley have to go to a professional to have this look accomplished.  The website tells you though exactly what colors were used.  I had to create a username and password to this professional site to access this information, but it's easy - no license required.  The Caramel and Copper colors do not turn out that intense, the caramel is a soft brown and mixed with the copper, it still is soft.  Try getting back on to Redkens website and logging in to see those swatches, they have alot of pretty coppery colors.  If your hair's natural pigment is in the light to medium browns, it is hard to get a much more intense look without some type of lightening first.  Which is how I got my copper auburn and believe me it took!  I always wanted it, but then came to the realization that my hair grows really, really fast and within two weeks I have my medium ash brown roots back again!!  it's just too  much maintenance for me, I'll always keep a deal of warmth in my hair - just not over the top or something that requires repeated salon visits that I can't afford.  I bid and won a Redken Shades EQ book last week and got it for crazy low price of $16.00!! it has swatches in all!!!  I had to see them in person.  Right now you are in luck because someone has one up for grabs for 49.99 if you can afford it, or wait to see if another one starts out lower than that, and you can bid on it.  These are awesome when you can also buy the professional colors on ebay as well.  You know by the swatch what you are ordering.  Redken Shades has one on there that is specifically Copper Brown, you'll probably like it.  Check it out and let me know what you think!  The hair in your picture above is done using a couple different colors - Good Luck!

Peggy
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 2:22am
Thanks for the info!  I got into the Professional site and found out how that look was achieved.  I definitely think I'm gonna have to try out the Redken at some point!  Those colors are gorgeous!

So I'm going to be dyeing my hair tomorrow night, and I've got several questions.  First off, the last time I dyed my hair, it lifted about a shade lighter.  The top 2 inches or so of my hair turned out a little lighter than the rest of it.  It's not a major difference, but a difference nonetheless. So now I've got a little bit of roots showing (dark brown), and then the lighter 2 inches of color, and then the rest which is a bit darker.

I did an ApHOGEE treatment this last Monday.  I've bought some neutral Protein Filler from Sally's to use when I dye my hair.  Since I did the ApHOGEE, will I really need to use it?  If so, where exactly would I apply it?  Would I put it on the lighter areas of my hair (which might be difficult since the grown-out roots are so close) or would I put it in the darker length of my hair?  

Also, should I apply the color to my roots first, then to the rest of my hair later?  Or would I do the opposite?? 
cambria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 2:27am
Oh and one more thing! I found these directions on MUA for using protein filler before coloring:

apply the whole bottle to towel damp hair. Leave on for 20 minutes. I wrap my hair in saran wrap and cover with a hot towel. Dry - DO NOT RINSE OUT. Your hair will fill sticky as it's drying - that's OK. Color hair as usual.

is that correct?  is there anything i need to take out or add in?
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 12:42am
Cambria,

I have never used a protein filler, so I had no answers on that -sorry.  How did your hair turn out?  I had a senior moment at 33 and purchased Clairols Color Gloss from Sally's this weekend to tone down that copper once again before I purchased Redken Shades Eq before christmas, I just wanted something easier on my hair than an oxidative dye(permanent) to tone it down - Totally picked a color too dark, I went too dark with a light natural brown that was a level 4, what a no no when you typically use a 6 level or higher.  My hair is pourus because its naturally curly and I tend to pull dark.  So now I am using a clarifier for the next couple of weeks, hopefully will have turned around by christmas.  Thinking of using a protein filler next time I use a color product.  How'd it work for you?
Peggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic