Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going From Copper Auburn to Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going From Copper Auburn to Brown
    Posted: November 19 2006 at 2:17am

Hello, I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.  I am currently a level 5  Copper Auburn with hint of brown.  My natural hair color is level 5 beige/ashy brown, and I don't like - it's too boring for me.  I have always wanted to try auburns and now that I have been an auburn for the last 2 years, I am beginning to tire of seeing my drk brown roots grow out 2 weeks after coloring.  Reds are beautiful and they suite me, but the maintenance does not, as my hair grows really fast.  I would like to go back to brown tones with a hint of golds and spice, not my boring dull brown.

I am wanting to try Redken Shades EQ, can anyone tell me how I can eliminate my brassy coppery red tones and achieve a natural looking Caramel or a Lght./Med.  Bronzed Brown.  Bronzed brown colorants are rare.  I am used to mixing brown toned colorants with warm blondes to diminish the darkness in brown dyes, my hair is naturally curly and I have hazel green eyes with yellow undertones. Are there any good formulations I could try with Redken Shades EQ to achieve this?
Peggy
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 8:05am
I can't tell you how to mix your redken shades, maybe someone else can help better with that.  I see a problem though.  You don't want your hair ash, you want it to have gold in it, yet you want the red out, and to do that, you would typically dye over it with a shade that has a blue or green base (giving you more of an ash).  All I'm saying is it might be a little difficult to get exactly what you are thinking of.  If you choose to go brown, I would choose a shade that is 2 shades lighter than what you want (to avoid it coming out too dark since your hair is porous from previous dye), and definitely test strand.  If you don't choose a blue or green base in your brown, it won't counter the red, and you will get reddish brown.  Sorry I can't help you get exactly what you want, maybe someone else can, but I hope I helped you to understand what may happen.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 9:14am
Thank you for your response.  I understand that I will need to counteract the red/copper with blue based hair dye with ash in it.  This poses another question.  Could I use a bit stronger bleach cap (I have used before at home with great success) with maybe a 20 developer until my hair is a soft yellow and then tone and dye?  or is this a no no?  the bleach caps I have used before i've done with 10 developer and Loreal Blanc powder from Sally's mixed with clarifying shampoo on the advice of a professional.  If I were to use a stronger cap and strand test every 5 minutes, might this allow me to put a golden brown back, I have to have some warmth.  My hairdresser says that my hair is in pretty good shape, it is a little dry as my hair is naturally thick and curly, but I don't use bleach process as I 've never been a blonde so I am thinking maybe going to yellow then dying might work - any suggestions?
Peggy
Peggyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 5:58pm
I went to sallys today and purchased my handy 'Preference Mega Browns - Caramel" shade and mixed with "Preferences Elgant Ash Blond" and my hair went from a bold Copper Auburn with very little brown, to a soft beautiful caramel brown with just the right amount of warmth.  I was afraid at first because my hair was so light Coppery that even though this Caramel shade is so soft, that it might pull dark - nope.  I swear by that color. Preferences Mega Browns Caramel has Blue and Gold base, the Elegant Ash Blond shade was a warm ash blond with a Soft Blue base.  It did the trick. I would definitely recommend this brown to anyone who wants a nice soft shade of brown without the harshness or brassiness.  It is a level 6.Clap

I wish you all the luck and happy coloring. Peggy...
Peggy
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 7:09am
I'm glad it worked and you got just what you wanted!  Clap

For the future, I wouldn't recommend ever going yellow before going brown unless you absolutely had too.  When blondes go brown it usually looks quite dull since the hair's natural shine has been removed a lot when lightened to blonde. It looks fine blonde because it reflects light well, so lack of shine from the chemical process is less noticeable, but go back to brown from there and often there's hardly any shine left at all, making it look very unnatural.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic