Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

? about co only wash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? about co only wash
    Posted: November 19 2006 at 10:15am

Hi, I have a question for those who do the co only wash. I have just started to try this and when I do it seems that between the jojoba oil I put on at  night,( mabye 3-4 x per week), washing with just co, buy the next afternoon, my head is really oily. I put a little jojoba oil on the ends during the day as a leave-in, but not on my head. I am wondering if this will balance out, or mabye this method is just right for me. I have hair that is really thick and course and is between my bra strp and shoulder in length.I am growing to out ao I obviously want it to be as healthy as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Alisa06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 11:57am
Hi Alisa,

What conditioner are you using for your CO? Also, how long are you leaving it on before rinsing it out? How many C's do you do?

My understanding of CO is that the surfactants in Conditioner take a little longer to work (because they are very mild). So you may need to switch conditioner, leave it on a bit longer, or try doing more than one C.

When I first started CO, I used three C's - the first and last were Aveda, the middle C was Lush Veganese. Now I'm using VO5 Free Me Freesia, and Suave Naturals. I get pretty good results from this, even when oiling.

You might want to take a look at Anais' very excellent CO method descriptions here: http://anaissatin.freespaces.com/cleansingmethods.html

Edited by SpecialKitty - November 19 2006 at 11:59am
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 7:42pm
HI, SpecialKitty,

Thank you so much for answering me.I use Jason's natural biotin. I leave it in for  around 2-3 min. What is the recommended time? Thank you for the link, it is really helpful. I will be referring to it quite a bit.My hair is really thick and course, and can get really dry if I don't keep right on it. So I really think this method would be beneficial for me if I could just figure it out.Confused

Alisa06
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 1:57pm
Here's what we do for Jennifer's hair:

Brush her hair out good.
Wet her hair (sometimes, but not always).
Pour a normal amount of Suave Strawberries and Cream into about a 12 oz container (an old Bath and Body Works lotion plastic bottle).  Shake it up and pour it on her head.  I work it into the scalp as I pour it on so that it doesn't just run down the length and not get to her scalp.
Rub her scalp good with finger tips and nails.
Comb through the conditioned hair with a wide-tooth comb and then a finer toothed comb.  Use the finer-toothed one to scratch her head good.
Rinse thoroughly.
Do the same with Suave Humectant this time, but skip the combs.
Rinse thoroughly and wring out her hair.
Apply Pantene Deep Conditioning Treatment to the length and let it on until we're done showering.  Rinse again thoroughly.

We've found that the Suave Strawberries and Cream works into a lather kind of like shampoo.  The problem could be that you aren't doing a good cleansing with the conditioner by only putting it on one time and letting it on.  It did take us some time to figure out a routine using CO that didn't give her an itchy scalp.  Stick with it and the results are worth it.  Her hair feels much nicer now than it did with shampoo.  Hope this helps.

Edited by tdouty - November 20 2006 at 1:59pm

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 2:17pm
Thank you so much. I will try something like this. I guess I have to get another conditioner.I am using just the one now. Is it better to use the three? how long do you let it sit for the first co? Thanks again.

Alisa06
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 2:31pm
We got the basics for this routine from Anais's website and modified it for Jennifer's hair.  It does seem necessary to do the 3 applications for us.  The first one is a cleansing.  That's why you can use any cheap conditioner for it.  We also use White Rain sometimes.  It froths up too and just seems to be cleaning.  We don't let it sit on her hair at all.  We put it on, scrub with it and then rinse it.  We then put on the second conditioning right away.  We rinse this one right away too, although it probably could sit a while.  We choose to let the deep conditioner in her hair so that's the one we let on her hair for an extended time.  Others use different conditioners and we intend to try some different ones sometime.  Jennifer's hair does react nicely to  a change of conditioners so it's worth the try.  Please write back to let us know if this helps.  You will have a different look with CO.  You won't have that fluffy, shampooed hair look.  CO tends to let hair a bit heavier .. for us anyway.  But, what you gain is hair that feels much better and you can feel that it's healthier.  It takes time, but you will feel a difference.  We haven't trimmer Jennifer hair now for 13 months.  It's about due for a trim, but the ends still don't feel bad .. they're just getting thinner and don't look nice and full.

1c.m.ii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 5:46pm
Thank you. My hair is pretty wavy/ curly so when it got cut, it bounced up, ALOT. It has since started to settle down some, but I think I would like the added weight, To bring the goofiness down abit.Is Jennifer the one in the picture? If so, she has beautiful hair. I have spent some time on Anais's site. I plan on playing around with the different techniques. I love jojoba oil, so I know I will some how incorporate it into my routine.I am  not used to using the cheaper conditioner though, so I will most likely have to do a trial and error to figure out which one I like. In the past I have never liked them, but that was when I was using  them in the traditional way. My hair is just to course, I felt like they were not getting the job done.

Alisa06
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 7:17am
That's why we use the better conditioners towards the end and finish with the Pantene deep conditioner.  We should try something diferent sometime too, but not sure what to try.  Yes, Jennifer is the lovely lady in the pictures.  I'm just the shampoo boy :-).  She hasn't shampooed (or CO'd) her hair herself in quite some time.

1c.m.ii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 9:02am
It sounds like it goes cheapest in the beginning, medium, most expensive. I went to store yesterday at got vo5 strawberry milk. I used it this morning starting with my jojoba oil, vo5, then my Jason natural biotin and finishing with hair formula 37's grow co. I have only used the HF37 for about 3 weeks( vitamins, amino acid), but I really like it. My hair has grown an inch already. I doubt that the conditioner will have an awful lot to do with my hair growing any faster, but it is really super rich, and I love the way my hair is after I use it. My hair is still wet , so I can't tell any difference yet. I will say that It combed out in a fraction of the time it normally takes me. I know your not supposed to comb or brush while its wet, but I have to. My hair is way to thick, and course. It would be in a huge mess if I did not at least comb through it. I do it once and then let it dry before I handle it again.
 I found the link for the hair rating system . Mine is 2c-3a ciii. I Say the 2c-3a because it depends on the mood of my hair, and weather or not it has been brushed alot or not. It can have ringlets, or just be semi wavy. I have often said that my hair has a split personality.!! Ha ha.

Alisa06 
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 9:32am
It is crazy how hair can look one way one day and look completely different another day.  We notice that too, but I imagine it's much more so with curly hair.  We always comb through Jennifer's hair when it's wet.  Yeah, I guess you aren't supposed to, but we almost have to.  Her problem isn't with tangles, but with flakes.  I scratch her head every night before bed and brush her hair, but it also needs a comb taken to her scalp in the shower to work the flakes up and wash them away from her head really well.  It isn't dandruff ... just a dry scalp.  And yes, we've noticed too that the more different conditioner applications, the easier her hair is to comb afterwards.  That is good in itself because tangles are a long-hair's worst enemies for keeping hair healthy looking.  Every tangle is more hair being stretched when the comb hits it.  

Let us know how the different procedure works and post a picture sometime if you can.  We never would have believed that you could actually cleanse hair with conditioner.  We thought for sure she'd be a walking grease-head, but CO has worked out really well for her.

Edited by tdouty - November 21 2006 at 9:34am

1c.m.ii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 9:50am
I tend to have a dry scalp also. I take flax seed oil, and fish oil. I fluctuate them . I take them for a number of reasons, my dry scalp being one of them. I have a couple of spots that get really bad in the winter. One of the reasons I had been thinking about switching to co only. In the past, I have switched shamppos so many times. I really like the way pantene makes my hair feal, but my scalp hates it. I will try to take a picture of my hair the way it is now. I have some with it longer, but not with the new ,UUGGHH cut. Cry 

Alisa06
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 3:23pm
I can not believe the difference in my hair! ClapIt has way more body, and is curlier! I did not think my hair could get more body as it has plenty already. My hair is already in pretty good condition, but today it feels like silk!Big%20smile Normally you can almost feel the pores in my hair it is so course. but not now. I should have switched to co only a long time ago.

I am going to do this with my daughter's hair also. She is six, but has already made up her mind that she wants to grow her hair to her bottom. I told her that that was fine, but that she had to learn to take care of it.It is right around her shoulder blades now, so she will have time to learn.

Alisa06 
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 8:56am
Glad to hear that!  We were dumb-founded that it worked too.  We just never saw conditioners as cleansers that would remove scalp oils, but they do.  And like you say, the hair feels much silkier and kind of slippery, which helps with tangles and that helps with split ends which allows you to go longer between trims.  We're really glad to hear your results.  Thanks for staying in touch while you tried it.  Now, if you're like us, you have to go buy stock in conditioner companies because we buy tons of it LOL.

Edited by tdouty - November 22 2006 at 8:56am

1c.m.ii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 9:43am

I am glad to hear that you can go longer between trims. Especially since I am wanting to grow it to my tailbone area.I do not like the extremity of the v shape it now is in.So I will have to get the bottom slowly trimed up.I will have to do it very slowly,  to shock me any more.I did go buy a good pair of hair shears, and told my mom that she was the only one who was going to touch my hair from now on.My husband loves my hair, and was also very upset when the stylist hacked it. I told him I was going to have my mon take a little of the bottom of the v during thanksgiving, and he says," Well, don't take to much off!" He sounded vey disappointed.I told him ," don't worry I don't want very much off, I just don't like how extreme it is."

Sorry to go on and on. Does Jennifer take any special vitamins or supplements for her hair? It seams to be really healthy.I, myself take a mulit, flax oil/slamon oil( I flucutate them), eat ground flax seed and wheat germ, and I just recently started to take Hair Formula 37. If she does take anything, what have you guys found to be the best? Thank you

Alisa06
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 11:27am
No, she doesn't take anything for her hair.  We just try to be gentle on it by avoiding heat styling, doing CO washing and gentle brushing.  Lucky for me, she has always loved long hair as much as I do :-).

1c.m.ii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic