Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do you wash your hair before coloring?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lynn74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do you wash your hair before coloring?
    Posted: December 01 2006 at 6:59pm
I want to color with Clairol Natural Instincts and it says not to shampoo 24 hours before and 24 hours after, I don't think I can go that long!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 10:20am

IT would'nt or should'nt matter if you wash your hair or not, before applying a colour.

karen sanderson
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 9:34pm
It does matter. The reason why it tells you not to shampoo is because your scalp needs to produce enough oil to protect your scalp and prevent damage to it. Failing to follow the instrutions could result in damage to the scalp and hair bulb and mayor itchiness. You can't wash afterwards because the color takes time to set, and washing the hair would cause the color to blead out. Which would defeat the purpose. Believe me is not that bad, I've done it. Your hair will feel fine.

Good luck and great hair.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 2:30am
   Usually I'd say to follow instructions,but being as Clairol natural instincts is so gentle,you may be able to let it slide a few hours or so. I have gone ahead and done it and nothing bad happend to my hair.
If you wash after,it is possible some the color will come out faster as Sharyq11 said. For me,I have found it only last a good two weeks anyways.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 9:28am
When ever I use semi permanent or permanent colours on clients we always apply them to dry hair, thats the manufacturer's instructions for wella , and I use Schwarzkopf Professional, does no harm to the hair. The only time I do shampoo my clients is when its a quasi (demi) colour as said by manufacturer's instructions, or if the hair is very dirty. Granted some manufacturer's have diffrent Instructions, I been trained to follow them, and I do and never had a problem with any clients. I always do a skin test 24-48 hours before any colour process is carried out, any skin sensitivities with show up before hand, therefor I would not proceed with colour.
karen sanderson
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Sharyg11 Sharyg11 wrote:

It does matter. The reason why it tells you not to shampoo is because your scalp needs to produce enough oil to protect your scalp and prevent damage to it. Failing to follow the instrutions could result in damage to the scalp and hair bulb and mayor itchiness. You can't wash afterwards because the color takes time to set, and washing the hair would cause the color to blead out. Which would defeat the purpose. Believe me is not that bad, I've done it. Your hair will feel fine.

Good luck and great hair.

YES!  I would never bleach my hair after washing, too harsh.

Even Feria browns are hell on just-washed hair, I think more because I have a low tolerance for PPD..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 2:24am
 yes,but she isnt talking about bleaching,she is talking about natural instincts that you only leave on for 10 minutes and is very gentle. I have never waited 24 hrs before using it,and I have never had a problem. In fact,my hair always feels better after using it~softer,shiner...it isnt like regular hair dye.And Feria is one of the WORST hair dyes on the market in my opinion,it's VERY drying.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 6:38am
I know what you mean Chinastop. Not everyones hair or scalp is the same. Mine for example is very sensitive, and I had to go without washing for at least 24 hours even with Natural instincts or Colorspa (when I used to dye, I don't anymore). Some people are lucky and they can get away with it. I for one don't like taking chancesSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 3:31pm
To eaches own I guess.Having an abundantly oily scalp already I never had any problems. To someone with sensitivity or dry scalp is probably isnt the best idea. But I have found Natural instincts to be very gentle.It is a great product,doesnt really change color so much as boosts the one you have and gives it some sheen. I also like that it's only a ten minute process. Feels like a slimy shampoo going on,with none of the burning,itching or nasty smell some others have.
xxcorinnex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxcorinnex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 4:56am
i just used natural instincts on my head, i had just washed it.  it itched alittle, but nothing terrible.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic