Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yuko & Hair Coloring Issues [Please Help!]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mesho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yuko & Hair Coloring Issues [Please Help!]
    Posted: December 03 2006 at 3:30am

Hello,

My hair is chemically-straightened using the Yuko System. I have had the full treatment done on me (I think, mid-April 2006) and since then have gone to do my roots once (end of August 2006). I am scheduled to do my roots again in a few months.

I have dark brown hair and I want to dye it BLACK with a semi-permanent hair color (Level 1). I have two options:

1) Either using a semi-permanent vegan hair dye such as MANIC PANIC's Cream Hair Dye in Raven which is said to fade in a few weeks,

2) Or, using a semi-permanent drugstore hair color such as CLAIROL's Loving Care in Natural Black which is said to wash off in 6-12 shampoos. 

My intention is to use something that would eventually fade out with washing, nothing permanent, and nothing with ammonia or peroxide that might cause further damage to my hair.

Now, I have read in a hair salon's website [http://www.aoibeauty.com/en/liscio_hair_straightening.htm] that is licensed to perform all kinds of Japanese Straightening Treatments including Yuko that coloring one's hair black might cause problems when getting your hair straightened with Yuko. Here is the specific question from their FAQ section:

Q: I have color in my hair, will that matter?

A: Tints and semi-permanent hair color that deposit color are not usually any problem at all. If you have had your hair dyed black, please let your Stylist know as this can sometimes create problems.

I would like to know if this is true or not. Would coloring my hair BLACK (and my preference would be a jet-black or blue-black) prove to be problematic either as soon as I color my hair (i.e. any negative effects would be apparent as soon as I rinse the hair color out of my hair), or when I go to have my roots done and there’s still some black there that hasn’t managed to fade yet? Since my hair is chemically treated it is porous and would hold on to the applied hair color well and it might be weeks if not months before I can notice any real fading of the semi-permanent hair color despite the claims of the product used. Since I’m going a darker color (that’s the only option I’ve got with semi-permanent hair color anyways—to go darker) some staining to the hair cuticle might result…Right? I’m not an expert you would know better—correct me if I’m wrong. So, the chances of having some of the black in my hair when I go to do my roots for Yuko would be pretty high. Would that be a problem as stated in the above mentioned website?

Is it true that there are certain colors that we’re not supposed to dye Yuko-treated hair with? I know that I can’t bleach my hair (in otherwords go lighter). And if coloring hair it’s supposed to be done at least 3 weeks prior to or after getting a Yuko-treatment. These are basically all the color restrictions I am aware of. Why would BLACK hair color be a problem??............are there any other “problematic” hair colors??

Can you PLEASE make a recommendation between vegan semi-permanent hair colors (e.g. from Manic Panic, Special Effects, Punky Hair Color, etc) and drugstore semi-permanent hair colors (e.g. from Clairol, L’oreal, etc)? Manic Panic hair color, etc claim to be VEGAN or Vegetable Based Dyes in that they only contain vegetable extracts and natural ingredients. Would that put them in the same category as Henna? Because I know that Henna should also not be coupled with Yuko-treatments. Manic Panic is not exactly Henna though. They make funky punkish hair colors that I intend to use on unbleached hair to give a slight tint that would eventually wash out. Here is their website [http://www.manicpanic.com/dyepage1.html] and the ingredients list for their Cream Dyes:

Ingredients:

Aqua, Cera Alba, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth-20, Humulus Lupulus, Achillea Millefolium, Anthemis Nobilis, Acetic Acid, Methylparaben. May contain the following: CI 42090 (blue 1), CI 61570 (Green 5), CI 15510 (Orange 4), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 47005 (Yellow 10).

So, aside from confirming if BLACK hair color would be OK for Yuko-treated hair, please also clarify if Manic Panic and such similar punkish vegan hair coloring products would be suitable for Yuko-treated hair. (I would much prefer to use Manic Panic and their funky colors than drugstore natural colors).

If I decided on a color change and the semi-permanent hair color I have in my hair isn’t fading as fast as I want can I use a HAIR COLOR REMOVER/STRIPPING product to remove/lighten the color in my hair? Some drugstore products such as Clairol’s The Uncolor System claim to be gentle on the hair. I don’t see Ammonia/Peroxide in the ingredients list:

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Lauramide DEA, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine, Coco-Betaine, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Sulfite, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Another product, Color Oops, claims to be Ammonia free/Bleach free. So, these products shouldn’t harm the hair? Now, I don’t know how effective these products would really prove to be (most of the reviews I’ve read online say that they don’t work), but would such Hair Color Removers be safe to try (and if successful, continue to use) on Yuko-treated hair? Or, will they be damaging? Can you recommend any EFFECTIVE Hair Color Removers that are OK to use on Yuko-treated hair?

Thank you.

Waiting for your reply.

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 10:30pm
Yes is true, black hair dye could be a problem even if is semi-permanent. The pigment is very deep and even if it is supposed to wash out in a certain amount of time, when it comes to black, it doesn't usually happen, specially is the hair is chemically treated. Would manic panic in black be a problem? it could. Some people have complaint of the black not washing out as it is supposed to. So if your concern is that the dye might not come out, making it a problem to straighten your roots later, you may not want to take that chance.

However, applying a protein treatment using heat to the hair, usually helps remove deposit only color (semi-permanent) even black, but is not guaranteed that it will work for everybody.

Hair color removers are not good for chemically straighten hair, and could cause mayor damage, so stay away from those.  Thermaly reconditioned hair is very fragile, so you really have to be careful about what products you put in it. The best thing to do, in not to treat it with any more chemicals, and if you must dye it, use professional, semi-permanent color, such as Redken shades EQ, which is the best color to use for hair that has been thermaly reconditioned (straighten with Yuko, Bio-Ionics, Matrix etc)and even then, you should stay away from the black dyes to avoid problems.

So I guess is a matter of deciding if it is worth taking the chance.

Good luck and beautiful hair.
Shary
mesho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 8:40am

Thanks for your reply Sharyq!

I didn’t think anyone was going to reply to my rather complicated post…

The problem isn’t that I might still have hair color in my hair when I go to do my roots for Yuko. Thermally-conditioning colored hair should not be a problem. People use permanent hair color and go for Yuko root treatments all the time. My question is: why would using BLACK hair color in specific be problematic if you’re having your hair treated with Yuko, as mentioned in that website. I have tried looking online for anything to back this up but didn’t come up with any info. As far as I know, with Yuko, it is safe to use ANY deposit-only hair colors. So, as long as you’re not lightening your natural hair color you’re good to go. I have tried sending an e-mail to the people at Yuko but I don’t think I’ll be getting a reply this year!

Thanks for the tip on removing stubborn semi-permanent hair color I’ll make sure to take a note of that.

I looked up the Redken Shades EQ you recommended and found that it can only be done professionally in hair salons. It doesn’t seem to be a consumer-ready product, right? I don’t think there are any salons here that can do this specific color job for me. Do you know of any semi-permanent hair color products that would be gentle on thermally-reconditioned hair (i.e. ammonia + peroxide free) that are targeted for consumers rather than stylists?

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 10:38pm
Oh OK, I see what you mean. The best place to get the answer you need is verticalsinhair.com. Ask Steve, I'm sure he can answer your question. He is a TR expert.

About the redken EQ, you can get it at ebay. That is where my sister gets it. As far as a good OTC semi-permanent color, I really don't know. I have tried them and they are not that great. But you can ask Steve about that as well.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Hopefully you can find the answers you need with Steve.

Good luck and great hair

much love, Shary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic