Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perm - Breakage - Almost Bald

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JenSpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenSpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm - Breakage - Almost Bald
    Posted: December 12 2006 at 3:32am
Hello.

I can't find the perfect spot for this post, hopefully someone can help me if there is a better spot.

I've always have had thin/fine hair.  I've also have gotten perms for my hair every 6-9 months, for the past 20 years.

Lately, I've gotten the ISO perm.  The second to last time, the lady used something different.  Before my perm last Thursday, I told her that my hair seemed more tangled than usual... that perhaps that had something to do with the type of perm (who knows?).

Anyhow, instead of using my usual ISO (as listed on my card at the salon), and instead of using the perm she used last time, she did a different one.

Now, even though I've received many perms for my hair, I don't know what perm is what or what is better.  I assume ISO was safe but as my hair dresser is an older lady, with lots of experience under her belt, I didn't feel any need to demand any sort of perm over another.  It's really not my job, is it?  I mean, I didn't go to beauty school.  And the past 20 years of me not knowing or having an opinion, has worked thus far.

So I got the perm.  It looked just fine.  I pulled my bangs up in a little doo-dad and suffered through the days of not washing.  Then I noticed breakage.  Lots of it.

I'm now almost completely bald on the top of my head.  Just in time for my vacation to Miami here on Thursday. (Have you ever shopped for a hat that would work good with a formal dress code?)

I went to the salon and was offered a deep conditioning treatment.  Seriously... what good is that now.  My hair is gone.  I wasn't even offered a refund and was told that only the home office in a state, far away, could do that.

I'm faced with months and months of hat wearing.  Hell, I just went and bought $40 in hats and have some Topikk (spelling is off) on over night delivery to my house.  But even that might not work now, you have to have some hair to make that work.. and I've almost got non in the bang area.

What on earth do you think I should expect from the Salon.  A refund, of course but I'm BALD!  I can't even tell you how terrible this looks and how sad I am. 

Now, I know that my life of perming hasn't been the best for my hair that has been noticeably thin and fine.  But the perms haven't ever caused my hair to break.  And we're not talking just a little breakage.  I've not done anything different to my hair, no dying, no bleaching, nothing.  I can't think of any way this is my fault.  If there was ever any thought in my mind that this would of happened, I surely wouldn't of done it.  Even though I've had 20 years of good perms, this one instance of such traumatic hair breakage will keep me from perming again, I'm sure.  I can't imagine how awful my flat, thin hair will look but it will be much better than this.

I am so distressed over this.  Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.  And compensation... what are your thoughts on that?  I feel highly damaged... it's just not fair.

I should also add that I know I didn't get the ISO perm, even though she marked me down on the card as having one.  Not only did she talk about whatever perm she gave me (I can't think of the name), she didn't charge me the extra $10 or so that the ISO costs.  I think she knew something was wrong and wrote ISO down.. or something.

Help!
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 10:30am
Seriously, if you hair is as fine as you say it is, you shouldn't have perms.  It's your hair and you have every right to ask what perm is being used.  They should use perms especially formulated for fine hair.

I don't know anything about ISO perms.

But as my hair is fine anyway and seeing the results of perms in the past, I will never ever have a perm again. 

If you can prove that the salon caused your hair loss you can sue them.  They used harsh chemicals on you and this was the result.

My mother's hair was very damaged in a hairdressers, and unfortunately owing to her age, she is unlikely to see any improvement.  However, she has admitted owing to the texture of her hair she also should never have had perms.

Hope yours recovers quickly.  You might have to cutting it very short now  or having a style that can somehow camourflage the damage until it recovers.

Good luck. :)

Vampyfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vampyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 7:36pm
CryI'm so sorry for your hair loss, and can imagine the suffering you  are going through. I've heard it said that when a woman is  taking HRT, a perm can adversely affect the hair. Having thin hair means you really should have found another form of hairstyle, without the perms. You were lucky to get away with not having hair breakage all this time. But, you hairdresser was probably pleased to accept your money.

Hair loss is something I have come across so many times, as I have been in show business for a long time. Some people have had good results with rosemary oil, mixed with lavender, bonded with almond oil. A little of this put on your fingers and dabbed into the thinning areas, and even the balding areas, can help the remaining hair to stay in. It has also helped to grow hair again in the balding areas. Rogaine has been known to help, but the first mentioned combination of oils has been very successful in many cases I've known about.

It is worth using this, and if you don't use too much it won't look greasy. But, don't expect results for at least a month. What have you got to lose, except more hair? My advice is to grow your hair and sweep it up into some kind of bun, at the top or back, adding some hairpieces. It will look thicker than it is, and when/if the front hair grows back, you mustn't perm it again. There is another product on the market, called; Courvre. It colours the scalp and can be used with Toppick.

The results can look as if you have hair where you don't have it. Can you wear cowboy hats and wear jeans until your hair improves. You may look very trendy! I wish you all the best. PLEASE tell me if you see good results after using the treatment I've suggested. Thanks.Wink

Edited by Vampyfox - January 13 2007 at 7:55pm
Vampyfox
Author/Performer
(Pic taken a few months ago)
www.donni-jay.com
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:39pm
No need to wear hats for months and months though...go to www.doctoredlocks.com  and order a 3/4 wig or some fringe (bangs) or even a regular wig or some clip in hair extensions.
Believe me,it may not be the real thing,but it will give you back some confidence.

If I were you,I'd take pictures of your head and go back to the salon with them.Tell them if they dont compensate you in some way,you are taking those pictures to a lawyer and see if they change their attitude.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic