Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

women with short hair, and men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: women with short hair, and men
    Posted: April 09 2001 at 4:08pm
Why is it that some men are adamantly opposed to women cutting their hair short?
Especially those who aren`t particularly interested in hair until the topic comes up about a short cut?
I know some men who define a "short cut" as being a chin length bob. Anything other than that is horrendously ugly.

Please explain why!
brulist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brulist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2001 at 12:47am
Reply to message: 21.1666.1
jeez, this is NOT a secret.

men like women who look like WOMEN.

if it takes more explanation than that...

men respond almost instantly to visual stimuli. a woman`s long hair is an acute sexual cue, and you don`t have to take her clothes off to check it out.

healthy long hair is beautiful, feminine, youthful, sexy and relatively rare. and it is just so wonderful to run your fingers through it.... especially if your fingers come to the the end of it at someplace really nice. :-)

short hair is ordinary, androgynous and ubiquitous. and decidely UN-youthful. our MOTHERS have short hair, ya know??

once cut, how many women ever grow their long hair back... especially after they`re married? men consider a woman`s hair as something fundamental to their attractivness, not merely a fashion accessory to be changed at whim.

and guys just don`t like change. especially change for the worse.

Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2001 at 6:46pm
Well I agree with your Opinion not being a secret.
But clearly, from the comments of many men on the board, your Opinion is far from universal.

I especially enjoyed the "long hair is youthful" comment. I would definitely disagree with that. I think that`s a cultural bias. If this were the 1920s, you would say the exact opposite. Long hair is something that your grandmother ties up in a raggedy old bun. Long hair IS old. The actual life of the hair is much older than that of someone with short hair. Short hair is YOUNG hair.. Sure, it`s dead.. but the style is always new, always changing. Who exhibits more change? Your grandmother or your neice?

Not to mention, babies are the youngest people I can imagine, and they`re practically bald.

Don`t tell me that women don`t try to eminate babies, or even 5 year olds. Universal fashion ideals all strive to portray women as mere children. Think about mascara.. that opens up the eyes and makes them look huge, like a baby. The pink lips and rosy cheeks? Babies. Smooth, wrinkle-free faces? Babies.
Just that women have some side effects of sexual maturity that gives them that lustful allure.

Not to mention.. some men really go for the pixie cut, especially on an impish young woman. Why? Because she looks like a 12 year old.

And short hair draws more attention to the mature sexual body that men don`t have, and that cannot be accentuated with long hair. The neck.. the nape.. the cheekbones.. the eyes.

So I will acknowledge that you are entitled to have your own opinion (albeit, a potentially negative opinion, when exercised by a domineering male partner), but I think your bluntly "Are you stupid for even asking this question?" tone of response is very questionable, given the sheer number of men who will straight out deny your claims.

Lina
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2001 at 9:51pm
Reply to message: 21.1672.1
Hello Lina:

Please keep in mind that comments on the board doesn`t represent what everyone feels. If you would look around and see how people feel on the streets etc you would certainly find tons of men who love women with short hair. I personally don`t think that short hair or long hair on a woman makes a woman more feminine or younger but I would think her style would say a lot about her personality which makes life a lot exciting.
YOu have ever seen Victorian`s pictures? For whatever reasons there are lots of those pictures around showing women like models with very long hair. Strange heh? Almost everyday someone emails me a pictures of the Victorian times and it always made me wonder why women tend to tie their hair and yet there were lots of pictures showing women looking romantic with long hair. Does long hair or short hair make a women more romantic looking or younger? I would think that answer is in the eyes of beholder. I think that to some men long hair tends to bring something mystery like there is more to see but that is a guess.
dianefromcanada
brulist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brulist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2001 at 10:33pm
why do you post a question asking for an answer, and then proceed to prove in your reply that your mind was already made up?
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2001 at 7:49pm
Reply to message: 21.1677.1
I posted a question expecting enlightenment, not a callous, "what a stupid question" sort of reply. "Jeez, this is not a secret" and "if it requires more explanation that that" coupled with the bluntness of your response (long hair makes a woman look like a WOMAN, long hair makes a woman look younger) promotes debate at the irrelevance of your response. What about in other cultures/eras when both men and women had long hair? I urge you to agree that long hair is considered feminine in those instances.

I continue to pose this question. What is it that closes men`s minds against any form of short hair, especially one which exposes the universally feminine aspects of a woman`s body.. which can be found in her face, not her hair. It`s not the supposedly "femininity" of the hair that is the nature of the question, but the ingrained status quo.
Jeffrey Hines View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffrey Hines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 9:39am
Reply to message: 21.1683.1
quote:

Lina originally wrote:
Reply to message: 21.1677.1
I posted a question expecting enlightenment, not a callous, "what a stupid question" sort of reply. "Jeez, this is not a secret" and "if it requires more explanation that that" coupled with the bluntness of your response (long hair makes a woman look like a WOMAN, long hair makes a woman look younger) promotes debate at the irrelevance of your response. What about in other cultures/eras when both men and women had long hair? I urge you to agree that long hair is considered feminine in those instances.

I continue to pose this question. What is it that closes men's minds against any form of short hair, especially one which exposes the universally feminine aspects of a woman's body.. which can be found in her face, not her hair. It's not the supposedly "femininity" of the hair that is the nature of the question, but the ingrained status quo.

People are attracted to... what they are attracted to...

Don`t try to change them.
Jeffrey Hines
HairBoutique.com
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 11:30am
Reply to message: 21.1688.1
See, I do agree with Jeffrey`s response. Yes, obviously people have varying opinions, and I acknowledge that.

But aside from the one small comment "Men don`t like change" I still haven`t had anyone respond to what I`m really trying to get at.. Not the fact that some men prefer long hair, or any sort of rationale behind that, but why they are so opposed to short hair. I like chicken, but you don`t see me running around yelling at people not to eat beef, or making disgusting faces when someone presents me with a steak.

The reason this entire debate enrages me is the first responder`s sexist attitude toward women`s hair. It would have been respectable for him to respond "I like long hair because it is very feminine" but just the use of such tones as "Jeez, it`s not that hard to figure out... men like women who look like women" and subsequently I needed to point out that a WOMAN should not be defined by having long hair. As someone else pointed out, more or less, a woman is defined by who she is inside, not what she looks like. But still, I feel that, even appearance-wise, it is not necessarily the hair that makes a woman, as I succeeded to point out in several examples.

So what is the huff? This just brings back 1960s university-style protesting on feminism. That a woman who looks different from the accepted societal standard is unattractive.

The argument really isn`t restrained to women. Men`s hair, to a lesser extent, is a topic of debate. Like most women, I like men with reasonably short hair. Long hair looks scruffy, while shaved heads are creepy. It`s all about association.. if I see a man with waist lenght unkempt hair, I`ll tend to think he`s a bit of a rebel.. probably some metalhead. 10 years ago, a man with a shaved head would look like some sort of gang member, or other socially unaccepted type, but now, with musicians, actors, and athletes sporting the style, it has come into acceptance. Yes, you will hear wives and girlfriends begging their mates not to shave their heads, or whining about them getting a haircut when it gets long and straggly. But you rarely hear the "if you cut your hair we`re through" sort of attitude that men exuberate.

Control? I think so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 8:07pm
Reply to message: 21.1689.1
Lina:

My mother told me something yesterday. She said that she seen two gorgeous looking girls walk in a restaurant. My mother enjoys studying people.
One had a very short skirt and the other one had a long skirt. The guy said wow to the girl with the long skirt which surprised my mother. My mother asked her male friend about this other guy`s reaction and he said it is easy to explain. With a long skirt you have to use your imagination to figure out how beautiful those legs are and that is the excitement.
Comparing to hair not that I am saying that long hair is more exciting but it would explain a bit about some men. My own brother prefers blonds. Why? his mother, my sister and I all have dark brown hair and yet he has the nerve to want a blond as a girlfriend lol We all have our prefer tastes. Some men love short hair women, some love bald women etc. WE all have opinions what looks great. That is the wonderful part in life Lina. Change is also the process of accepting others.
dianefromcanada
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 8:50pm
Reply to message: 21.1690.1
Diane, I absolutely understand what you`re trying to get at.
But in your response, you still add to my point.
You said "Change is the process of accepting others". Which brings me back to my original, yet unanswered question. What is it about some boyfriends, like mine, who refuse to accept change? Who appear disgusted at the thought of their girlfriend trying out short hair? Isn`t change a part of living? And learning? If cutting her hair short is a mistake, isn`t it beneficial for the woman to make this mistake firsthand, so that she can learn from it? Someone not respecting such a trivial choice made by their mate shows that they are not accepting of their mate. So why do seemingly giving men suddenly freeze up and revert to caveman possessive tactics on the proposal of a haircut?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 11:01pm
Reply to message: 21.1691.1
Dear Lina:

NOw I totally understand where your thoughts are coming from. I would be hissing like a cat and etc. Yes that sort of thing would certainly hurt a lot and yes it can come across as a control issue. Women at times do the same thing. For example years ago my late husband was in a wedding party and his future sister in law insistant that he shaved his moustache because she hates moustaches. He shaved it and grew it afterwards. That was major for him because the years I was married I never seen him without a moustache. I couldn`t dream of telling someone to grow or cut their hair or whatever. Even when my boyfriend ask me about my opinion on his moustache or his hair I am extremely careful and basically tell him to make up his own mind.
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2001 at 6:55pm
Reply to message: 21.1692.1
Lina,
You pose the question relating to mens` closed minds regarding short hair, then go on to deride their possible reasons for liking it (hankering for childhood, frustrated sexuality)... I ask, just what is it you actually want?
I also feel a certain amount of "pigeon-holing" going on here, not all men have closed minds about short hair. Personally I love it, and not for any reasons you have given. Perhaps you are going through a bit of a "downer" on us males?
phil
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2001 at 8:09pm
Reply to message: 21.1696.1
What? Frustrated sexuality?
Someone is reading between the lines.

I`m not deriding those reasons. I`m just describing their invalidity. If someone says "I like long hair because it`s pretty", that`s a valid reason. But if someone says "I like long hair because it looks youthful" then that leads me to discuss, as I have previously, that that opinion is clearly only a product of society, not the opinion of the individual. Tell a 1920s flapper that long hair is youthful.

Also, I am not pigeon-holing. And I am not saying all men have these opinions. I am simply asking WHY -SOME- men can be so narrowminded as to be so against something as trivial as a haircut. Relate the question to women, if you like.. I`m just looking for someone to explain to me why some people can be so possessive about this aspect of another person`s appearance, and more often, I`ve seen this behaviour in men than in women. Now maybe that is entirely due to the fact that more women have long hair than men, and it`s a bigger deal to argue a haircut than to argue hair growth, which takes time.

So you ask, what do I want?
I want someone to describe to me what it is about hair that makes it such a major topic of possession by mates (or parents, for that matter). As has been said countless times, "It`s just hair.. it`ll grow back".
And yet you hear the exaggerated version of an all-too-true attitude problem of people threatening to dump their mates if they cut their hair short.
Why? What is so special about hair that brings an otherwise easygoing, unpossessive mate to voice such an opinion?
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2001 at 4:31am
I have short hair (not through choice - it was damaged beyond repair) and I am desperately waiting for it to grow. Some women look fabulous with short hair but others, like me look awful. I really notice the difference in attitutes between the 2 lengths - I was always considered quite pretty with long hair and feel invisible with short. I also look about 10 years older. Its a sad fact that most men seem to prefer long hair, and makes women like me feel lousy. However, I am lucky as my partner wouldn`t care if I was bald, he is not swayed by external appearances, but I suspect he is rare.
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2001 at 12:01pm
Reply to message: 21.1700.1
That`s great to hear that you have such a supportive mate. And I would agree with you.. some people can look rather plain with short hair, and in those instances long hair is definitely nicer. And I totally agree that some people can prefer long hair over short.

But still it bothers me, especially since you mentioned that, despite how bad you feel you look, your partner honestly doesn`t care, that other mates won`t even give a chance to short hair.. whether it makes one look horrible or not. You live and learn, right? So I can take it that you`ve learned to stick with long hair, huh? :)

Good luck growing.
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2001 at 4:37pm
Lina,

I love long hair and I can not explain more deeper why it is so. It`s a kind of feeling that appears if I see a long haired woman and this has been very persistent over a long time. I think I like the beauty of the long hair and I am impressed that women can let it look so nice, something that is hard for me to learn for my own long hair in this life.

It was always very difficult for me to find a long haired woman in reality for a friendly relationship, why in this civilization they are very rare. So I try to defend long hair against hair cuts why I think it makes the outer appearance of the world I live in only more poor as it already is.

My argumentations are only based on feelings I have for long hair and I want to explore this and I am curious what long haired women think about themselfes. My special sight of view implies the choice of the websites I participate and from that I know that in some cases women had cut off their very long hair and have regret this for a long time and often a hair cut occurs in view of social pressure and missing encouragement for long hair.

From all of my activities I conclude that my feelings are not only an individual crazy thing (as my family is assuming about me) and I try to find people to share this, and I have found them.

If I think that encouragement for long hair is needed I try to do it, but I am not interested to make short haired people feel bad or to make them down. The most women I know from work have short hair and with some of them I had good "vibrations". Nevertheless, I think my admiration for long hair isn`t a bad thing that I have to be ashamed of, and I had discussions with short haired women about the hair topic. The outcoming was that we respected our different opinions and there was nothing wrong between us.

I don`t know how I would react in a love relationship with a long haired woman if she will decide to cut it all off. I think this depends from the inner quality of the relationship and I know some men who admired the very long hair of their wife and suffered personally from a hair cut but have accepted it later on and the relationship hasn`t got a break in love.

wolfgang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2001 at 6:55pm
Reply to message: 21.1697.1
Tell a 1920s flapper that long hair is youthful

Dear Lina:

I am really enjoying your questions. It makes everyone really think and it is fun.
Sure the 1920 flapper thought that her short hair was exciting, sexy and youthful plus look at the way she dressed!! It was a time for fun and partying.

Lets face it anyone that threathens to dump their mate because of a haircut seriously needs help. NOt normal thinking. Sometimes you will find more possessive people on the internet with that attitude than in real life. Thank God for the ability to turn off the computer. lol Sometimes reality check needs to be placed in cyperspace. The fact you really want to have your hair short certainly tells me that you probably know exactly what you feel looks best on you and yes hair is just hair and if we all had this attitude of not doing anything fun or diffirent to our hair this world cyperspace or the real world would be extremely boring because noone could ever express what they really want in life. A thought did occur to me, maybe this is your boyfriends way of trying to tell you that he really wants to be part of you and be more personal. Like I said men are from mars lol

dianefromcanada
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2001 at 10:45am
Reply to message: 21.1704.1
Yeah.. I don`t know. I can see the "getting personal" basis behind the opinion.. Women are notorious for their indecision and unhappiness about their appearance, so I can see men wanting to avoid that (especially if they`re the shoulder that gets leaned on!) Plus, if you`re happy with the way something looks, you can be wary about changing it, in case it gets ruined. I think that`s essentially what`s true in my boyfriend`s case.

However, I have heard of other men (or women) being more possessive than that.. threatening a breakup over a haircut.. I guess it`s a good way to tell your mate isn`t such a great person, after all. I just find it funny that my boyfriend, who is generally a very openminded and accepting person would be so opinionated over hair.

Oh well. :) If I get a haircut, and he hates it to the point of breaking up, then obviously it`s one of those instances of your mother saying, "At least you find out how immature he is now instead of it coming out later, when you`re married".

anaclaire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anaclaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2001 at 12:55am
Reply to message: 21.1705.1
Hello Lina,

I`ve enjoyed reading the posts on this subject. I`ve tried to go with my "gut" feelings on this one since they are usually more reliable for me.

I think we are dealing with two questions here. (1) Why do so many men prefer long hair, and (2) Why do some men threaten to leave the relationship if his partner talks about cutting her hair short.

For the first questions I believe there are two main answers. (a) simple personal preference, nothing more, nothing less (b) the "ideal" woman the man first "discovered" when he hit puberty. This "ideal woman" may have been a baby-sitter he had, a girl at school he had his first crush on, or a particular pin-up girl who meant a lot to him. If his "ideal" woman had long hair back then, these feelings may continue the rest of his life (That the memory of long hair "subconsciously" remains more appealing to him than a short haired woman.) Of course the reverse could be true too.

And for the second question, I feel that any man who would threaten to leave the relationship if the woman cut her hair plainly and simply has control issues to deal with. Pure and simple. These ultimatums show nothing but a desire to control the other partner, for whatever reason. Just the same as telling your partner where they can or can`t go, or who they can or can`t see, etc. It screams of future and present problems dealing with a one-sided relationship where one gives and the other receives. Basically a relationship which is "circling the drain" sooner or later. Even if the long hair thing is a fetish for the man and he simply can`t perform with a short haired woman, that should be recognized and dealt with in a way acceptable to both partners.

Whew! I hope I`ve not offended anyone!! Just my humble opinion.

Warmly,
Anaclaire
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2001 at 1:30am
hubby was reading this over my shoulder and came up with two words:

Lady Godiva.

Makes you think, doesn`t it? I think society propetuates the whole long hair = sexy mess. Just like men shouldn`t wear pink because it`s not masculine. It`s all opinions. some ppl look good with long hair and some don`t. some look awesome with short hair and some don`t. If my significant other is going to threaten to leave me if I cut my hair, he is with me for the wrong reasons in the first place.

Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic