Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help With Dry, Frizzy Thick Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Raizell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help With Dry, Frizzy Thick Hair
    Posted: December 12 2006 at 9:59pm
I need help. I have dry, frizzy, and thick hair.

Edited by administrator - April 26 2007 at 11:15pm
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Raizell Raizell wrote:

I need help. I have dry, frizzy, and thick hair.

You said your hair is frizzy.... is it natural curly/wavy?  It looks pretty straight and smooth in the pic.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 12:28pm
     Confused Frizzy????? I agree with Hairbraider. Pay no attention to a few stragglers. Everyone has some. The #1 way to achieve length is to stay away from salons! So many stylists are conditioned to believe such rubbish as "shoulder length" is the maximum length at which hair can look attractive. And, too many seem to not know what a *trim* means.
     It is true that short hair needs to be regularly cut to maintain a nice shape, but one-length hair can easily grow for a year or more without needing scissors. My own wife went from 1/04 to 2/06 before a trim was in order. She had virtually no splits, b/c of using only large, soft plastic combs. How even one likes a hair "hemline" comes down to individual taste. *If* you decide to stay with salons, be certain that the stylist you choose *loves* your long hair. And if anyone suggests several inches instead of fractions, they are either incompetent or impatient, and they are not for you. Happy growing, Bob
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 6:05pm
Welcome Raizell!  Your hair looks very healthy and shiny.  Well done! Clap

It sounds like you want waist length hair ASAP.  The best way to do so is to avoid getting 3-inch trims!  LOL  Seriously though, since your hair is presently neatly shaped, you could grow your hair for quite awhile (6 months, a year, maybe more) without a trim (and by trim, I mean one-quarter inch or maybe one-half inch).  You must find someone you trust to trim just that much... a friend with a steady hand, or a stylist whom you've carefully interviewed in the realm of a consultation only.

How soon your hair reaches waist-length depends on these 3 factors: (1) your growth rate, (2) the distance between your current length and waist-length, and (3) how much/little you have trimmed, and how often/infrequently you have it done.

Raizell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 8:32pm
No. It's naturally straight. This picture was the day when I got my hair trrimmed from the salon. They're the one that made my hair smooth.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2006 at 7:10am
Looking at the pic, I'd say you don't need to trim much to keep splits in check, your hair looks pretty split free.  If you trimmed 1/4 inch every 3 months, that would be enough to keep it blunt if you like it that way, and keep the splits gone.  If you don't want to keep it blunt, just keep it dusted (cut splits off of individual hairs whenever you see them).  Either way, you keep splits in check and get to keep almost all of your growth.

You can use any shampoo and conditioner you feel works well for you. If you use ones with lots of silicones be sure to use a clarifying shampoo to remove them every 1 or 2 months to keep them from breaking your hair off with buildup.  I use silicones because they help keep so much of my hair from breaking in tangles, but removing them once in awhile is very important.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2006 at 8:51am
I can't use Garnier, my hair doesn't like it.  But yours may love it.  Just try different things until you find what works best for you. 

I found that the healthier my hair became, the less it frizzed.  Lots of conditioner, regular deep conditioning treatments.  Much better than it ever was before!  What did the stylist do to smooth your hair?

My hair is extremely prone to split ends and I trim it only 1/4 inch every 2 months or so.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2006 at 8:55pm
Susan's trimming plan works well; the big "if" is whether your stylist can and will trim only 1/4 inch.  Some can and will.  Others aren't capable or willing.  Finding a sympathetic stylist can be hard, but well worth the search if you find one.  I've been very fortunate in this regard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic