Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair and Body Health Challenge 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair and Body Health Challenge 2007
    Posted: December 20 2006 at 9:00pm

Hair and Body Health Challenge 2007

****Please post in this thread only to update and encourage members. If you have any questions or concerns about hair products etc. please begin a new thread; this will keep us from searching through posts to answer everyone. Besides, another member may have the same question. Thanks****

We have new members since our first challenge. It’s time to begin and include our newer members.

Why are we including our body health this year?  Hair health starts from the inside, what we eat and do to our body matter.  Overall health is important: it increases our energy; it produces healthy skin and hair cells.  This challenge is not to force you to lose weight and it does not guarantee that your hair will grow waist length, but it is for you to recognize that hair and body health are intertwined and also to encourage you in your everyday life. Try to report an update once a week. 

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

Screen name

Hair type:  look here

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning

Hair regimen

Present hair length

Hair length goal

Hairstyle goal

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of

Health goal

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of

Exercises

Here are just a few helpful hints we used in the previous challenge posted by our lovely member Honeydoo

If you do not have a hair journal, think about keeping one. It doesn't have to be online, but it will help you keep track of your good and bad points during this year.
2. Keep a photo of your current length and a picture of the length you want somewhere handy so you can see them for motivation. (Like my hair idol Amanda Lewis---just gorgeous!!)
3. If you don't already have a regimen, try to stick to one. Post it here so you'll have it. Also post your hair type. It’ll make things much simple in the long run. Think of everything you'll need (e.g. pre-treatment, shampoo, protein treatment, conditioners, etc.) Include a daily schedule such as what day of the week you'll do what to your hair. When you get into a routine, it makes it easier to follow.
4. Measure your hair so you'll know what your starting point is.
5. Ok this one will be the hardest to do but go through all of your products and weed out what you 're hanging onto but you really don't need (if it applies to you). I'm talking to all the Product Junkies myself included. And you never know, what doesn't work for one person may be perfect for the next. If you are going to pitch something maybe someone on this site thread could use it. (Like a product trade.)
6. Lastly, if you are going to change your diet to aid in your hair growth, site it here. That includes vitamin supplements, juicing, whatever.

Please note: You do not need a digital camera to post pictures…all you need is a camera and then you can get the pictures put on a CD. Also, you can purchase a mini digital camera from Walgreen for $10.00, take pictures and then upload them to your computer to see it. It comes with instructions. 

Sites that can assist you:

www.growafrohairlong.com (Crown & Glory braid method)

www.motowngirl.com

www.roshini.net

www.blackhairmedia.com

www.longhaircommunity.com

www.longhaircareforum.com

www.nappturality.com

www.going-natural.com

Hair styling techniques and links are in

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29585

Homemade hair recipes

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28728

Information about what certain foods provide 
  Tips for  exercise while at work: 
  1.  If you work at a computer for hours...try to take a quick walk every 30 to 45 minutes. If you have steps in the area, go up and down them a few times.   
  2.  If you do not have hand weights, use a purse/book just as you would your hand weights. You'll be surprised how effective your purse/book can be.

Good luck withthe  challenge!!!!!Clap

Edited by cmesweet - December 27 2006 at 12:54pm
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 9:07pm

Screen name:  Cmesweet

Hair type:  4a/b tight coils

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning: natural

Hair regimen: Wash with shampoo and use a moisturizer afterwards, style hair...sometimes use hair grease

Present hair length: Stretched= brastrap or a little longer

Hair length goal: Stretched= waist length

Hairstyle goal: I want to be able to do a long banded ponytail like Sekhmet and Stormrisingnow's on Nappturality

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: Not sure...I need to find something that will assist my scalp during the winter.

Health goal: a 6 pack lol and ability to run distances

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: I have decreased a bit on French Fries from Macdonald's but I want to stop them completely.

Exercises: I teach an exercise class (step aerobics)...however i want to go back to jogging.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

renew1913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renew1913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 1:20am

Screen name: Renew1913

Hair type: I'm not sure-how do I find out?

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning: transitioning

Hair regimen: weekly wash, conditon, and flat iron.

Present hair length: ear length

Hair length goal: chin length

Hairstyle goal: nice ponytail

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: increase-olive oil; decrease-flat iron

Health goal: solid core

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: increase-greens

Exercises: aerobics and weight training

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 10:15am
Screen name: blackhoney112

Hair type: Since I have more length now I think I may be 3c/4a

I am transitioning

Hair regimen: 1 weekly poo and 1-2 conwashing
Present hair length: APL
Hair length goal: Stretched bra-strap by March (my bday ); Final goal is to be stretched waist length.
Hairstyle goal: 1. I want to have a healthy, curly wash-n-go, 2. A thick pressed ponytail, and 3. be able to braid my hair without the use of extenstions for length or thickness.

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: I don't mind cons but I would like to find lower con products. I would like to stop having to wear braids to retain length.

Health goal: thick, naturally shiny hair

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: Increase: vitamins E, b-12,C. Biotin, silica. More protein and greens. Eliminate fast foods. Decrease sugar and unhealthy carbs.

Exercises: Start walking, weight training, belly dancing.

Hair album
pw:Romeo
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 4:00pm
Screen name: Ladyflash

Hair type: 4a- I believe, texturized

Hair regimen: Wash hair weekly, co washes in between, heat 1x per week( though I'd like to stretch to 1x biweekly)

Hair length goal: Waist length

Hairstyle goal: I want the ability to pull my hair back in a nice full long pony tail, I want to do a braid out that reaches to my bra strap ( will look like beyonce natural or amil lareux(however you spell it)), but what I've always wanted is big curls cascading down my back

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: I want to decrease the use of heat on my hair, therefore increasing moisture by getting comfortable with airdried styles

Health goal: keep my ends as healthy as possible

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: I need to increase fruits and water, otherwise I eat pretty healthy, learn how to take my prenatal vitamins daily cause Lord knows I forget most days

Exercises: I already walk up to 2 hrs daily, would like to add yoga and pilates into my exercise routine

CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
myronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 9:06pm
I'm new to this site but I'm a big hair junkie! You guys are really inspirational!
Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning Relaxed

Hair regimen Shampoo&Conditioner: Monday,Wednesday; Conditioning: Tuesday, Friday; Oil Treatment: Thursday.

Present hair length Almost to my brastrap; 18 inches or so.

Hair length goal 32 inches(waist)

Hairstyle goal To have a long french braid to my waist! Ahh how cute =D

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of Increase: Oiling, Deep Conditioning Treatments; Decrease: Heat from my stylist, Shampooing.

Health goal To have long waist-length hair and feel healthy!

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of Hmm this is hard cuz im naturally skinny haha..Increase: Veggies and fruit; Decrease: sweets(my downfall).

Exercises Ice-skating and ab crunches to tone my stomach a little even tho it's flat

I'll get some pics of my hair once my mom gets the picture on the web!
Products: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Shampoo and Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Deep Conditioner, Aussie 2in1 Mousse and Leave-In Conditioner, SAMY Curl enhancing spray, SAMY Hair Spray, Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Scrunching Gel, Neutrogena Leave-In Conditioning Product, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner.
My Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/myronnie/
flo229 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 5:36pm

Hair regimen: i shampoo and con every 3 days leave in con. and sometimes oil

Present hair length: armpit lenght

Hair length goal: back  to waist lenght i cut it because of  heat damage

Hairstyle goal: i want my hair and ends to be be healthy
and want my curls to be bouncy:)))

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: i wan to deep condition more and to decrease on using heat on my hair

Health goal:i wan to be all over toned and a 6 pack like J lo:)

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: increase on veggie decrease on fast foods and soda

Exercises:  mon. wednes. friday cardio and tues thurs sat. and sun. pilates 
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 8:47pm
 This is great...we are off to a great start.
Here are the members so far

Cmesweet
Renew1913
Blackhoney
ladyFlash
Myronnie
Flo229

Welcome to the challenge. It official begins January 1, 2007....we are off to a great start. We know our goals  and there may be setbacks, but lets think positive because we are headed in the right direction ladies.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 12:53pm
Bump for new joiners
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:46pm
Also, discovery health is having a Body Challenge...www.discoveryhealth.com  and this can assist you with this challenge.

I have asked the administrator and Karen to put this as a sticky so it will stay at the top. Haven't heard from them yet.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 2:21pm

Screen name : Sakura07

Hair type:  3c mostly, with some 4a

Hair regimen: Pre-poo on saturdays.CO a couple time a week with a cheapie conditioner, Heavy Oil every week with coconut and Jojoba Oil, Moisturize as needed

Present hair length: Shoulder Length unstretched with layers

Hair length goal: for this year Bra-strap length, eventually waistlength

Hairstyle goal: Learn to Flat twist, and for my shortest layer to fit into ponytails with no bobby pins

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: Less Heat and less major cutting

Health goal: Keep ends moisturized and protected

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: Junk in general even though it is always avaiable at school and home

Exercises: Work out more frequently and work on my running.

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 5:23pm

Screen name: kellie7777

Hair type:  mixture of 3b and 4a

Transition since Aug 2006 - last straightened Apr 06

Hair regimen - Currently using the growafrohairlong regime. Braids on and off. When in braids i was everyday with a shampoo and conditioner or CON. Then I add hair strenghther and braid sheen, then moisturizing gel to retain the moisture. Then i add emu oil mixed with a few drops of lavender ess oil to the roots before totally dry.

When my hair is not in braids,  i co-wash (Suave fortifying formula for dry hair) my hair on wednesdays air dry/add hair strengthener / leave in conditioner (detangler MTG). I let it air. Before completely dry i add jojoba oil to the hair and do box braids. the Sat night I pre-poo with honey, olive oil and a mixture of oils i have infused with herbs, put on plastic cap. And then on Sunday I can also go to church as the oils are not running down my neck. Afterwards, I wash with CON, then do a deep conditioner with Le Kair (pink) under hood dryer and then add hair strengthener and MTG, etc.

Clip my ends at least once a month to get rid of any frizzy ends.

Present hair length - neck length

Hair length goal - mid back length (brastrap)

Hairstyle goal - flat ironed straight or curled

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of - I think I am a product junkie, but i am staying away from mineral oil and petroleum products. They look like they work at first but then the dryness starts- no good.

I want to increase the use of more natural products on my hair, like honey and essential oils and castile soap. I have also made some stuff for myself using the recipes I found on this site and at www.recipegoldmine.com
Health goal - eat more natural foods and treat my body right, after all it is the temple of God.

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of : I want to eat more natural foods and decrease the rich foods that taste soooo good but the not beneficial for your body in the long term.  Remember to take my vitamins and drink my cod liver oil. If anyone is interested Carlson fish oils are recommended as one of the best and taste ok too. I purchased from www.iherb.com.

Exercises: Get back into a serious work out routine and pump some iron.

Also I want to remember to make time for myself as I have been taking care of everyone else and no one was taking care of me.

I also want to thank everyone for being supportive in 2006. I feel really blessed for all your help and suggestions.

Edited by kellie7777 - January 02 2007 at 5:26pm
Kmellion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmellion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 4:23pm
Screen name--> Kmellion

Hair type--> 4a/4b Relaxed

Hair regimen--> Ultra Black Hair growth method

Present hair length--> Shoulder length

Hair length goal--> Bra-Strap length

Hairstyle goal--> Bouncy curls

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of--> Increase Moisturizing/ deep condioner. Decrease using excessive heat in my hair

Health goal--> I want to try to work out at least 3x's a week

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of--> less junk food especially chocolate, and more fruits and vegetables

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 6:57pm
So has anyone started working on their challenge? If so, what have you done so far?

I have been trying to eat better and so far so good.  However, after standing in line for 3 to 4.5 hours waiting to view  President Gerald R Ford, my family and I went to Macdonalds.  That was a long and cold night.

I haven't devoted an hour or 30 mins to exercise within the pass 2 days, but I did do an aerobics routine on a stablility exercise ball for the first time and it's harder than it looks. VERY FUN THOUGH!!!!

Edited by cmesweet - January 05 2007 at 7:19pm
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 3:32pm
Is it ok if I join in here even though I'm not African-American? Smile  I'm a natural curly girl and I find that many of the techniques and products y'all use work great for my hair! (motowngirl rocks!)  Also, my main goal for this year is to improve my over-all health and eating habits.

Screen name: hairbraider

Hair type:  3a/3b M/C iii

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning: natural

Hair regimen: scalp wash twice a week, condition length 3-4 times a week, clarifying wash and deep conditioning treatment every 2-3 months (click here to read the whole thing)

Present hair length: 34 1/2 inches

Hair length goal: 36 inches

Hairstyle goal: more defined curls, thicker ends

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: not sure

Health goal: eat healthier, maintain a regular exercise schedule, tone up, lose 5 lbs (current weight 130 lbs)

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: increase healthy foods, decrease sweet munchies

Exercises: fast-paced walking, sit-ups, push-ups, and various other exercises I do for my back (I have scoliosis), riding my bicycle

Edited by hairbraider - January 05 2007 at 3:50pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 7:17pm
Hello Hairbraider!
  Of course you can join, hair health and body health is for everyone. :)
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Uneekzest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uneekzest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 9:53pm

Screen name - UNEEKZEST

Hair type:  4A/4B

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning - RELAXED

Hair regimen - SHAMPOO/CONDITION ONCE A WEEK

Present hair length - NECK LENGTH

Hair length goal - BRASTRAP LENGTH

Hairstyle goal - FULL PONYTAIL

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of - INCREASE PROTEIN TREATMENTS, MULTI VITAMINS & ESSENTIAL OILS     DECREASE HEAT

Health goal - LIFSTYLE CHANGE TO INCLUDE EXERCISING REGULARLY & EATING HEALTHIER TO LIVE NOT FOR TASTE.

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of - INCREASE FISH/VEGETABLES  LIMIT STARCHY/BREADS/PASTAS FOODS TO 1 -2 X'S A WEEK

Exercises - RUNNING & RIDING A BIKE MORE OFTEN & INCLUDE CRUNCHES AS A DAILY ROUTINE

sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 4:50pm
Well I've kind of started. Since I'm aiming for healthy curly hair I took out my Curly Girl book. I've been COing the CG way (even though I have been already) and trying the leaving a bit of conditioner in my hair.

Currently my hair is twisted and it will last about a week if I'm really lucky. I'm still on the search for the perfect no 'cone conditioner though
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 5:17pm
Hey Sakura...I'm in search of that conditioner too because my hair loves cones. However, I haven't used conditioner in a while, just followed up with a moisturizer after shampooing and my scalp loves me for it.

This weekend I went weight lifting. My shoulders and arms are so sore...I only did worked on the upper body, i bench pressed 65 lbs. In the future, i want to do more.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

diamondskey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 2:30pm
well lately I been eating lots of fruits and vegetables and I am drinking lots of water I find that to be really healthy for your hair.
There is nothing like a head of healthy hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic