Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair and Body Health Challenge 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:31am

Hug Thanks Ladies!  I think the problem was I was pushing myself too hard and then I got burned out.  I started out Jan. 1 exercising 2-3 times a day for nearly an hour each time (usually with two of those sessions being intense Taebo).  And I did this for about 3 weeks straight.  Now I want to do it, but I don't feel like doing it!  So what I think I will do now it start with cardio and work back into everything else SLOWLY like Hairbraider suggested!  Cmesweet, my baby and I used to put on Radio Disney and just bounce around forever & she loves that!  So good suggestion; I WILL DO THAT WITH HER FOR BOTH OF US!  She loves to go outside so that is something we can do on the day it's not cold or rainy (South LA weather, you never what you'll get)!

I really appreciate you guys and the support!  I can do all things through Christ because He gives me strength I need - EVEN EXERCISE!!! Hug
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
tazmonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 6:22pm

Type 4 hair

Currently relaxed, may continue that way
Hair regimen: shampoo and condition once a week, deep condition every 3 weeks, pay attention to scalp and ends, moisturize and protein treat
Currently jaw length in front 1 inch in back
Goal length: upper back
Currently using Paul Mitchell Awapui shampoo and Moisture conditioner, Africa's Best oil. Want to use more olive oil and moisturizers
Health goal: want to be reasonably active, hydrated, build muscle
Currently not eating a lot of junk food, but want to eat more fruits and veggies and drink more water
Currently walking a lot, want to do pilates and skateboard

Edited by tazmonster - February 25 2007 at 6:26pm
I am something fading in the trees. Something with a better shade of green.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 8:03am
Welcome to the challenge Tazmonster..ooooooooo skateboarding. That sounds exciting, I wish I could do more than just kick and push, I would love to be able to direct the board in more than one direction LOL 

Kbaby, all of that intense strenious exercise can cause burn out.  Be careful. Have fun bouncing with your baby :) sounds fun

Edited by cmesweet - February 26 2007 at 8:05am
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:09pm
Kicking and pushing is about all I can do right now, but I'm working on it. I rarely get the chance to actually go out and ride. I don't have my own board anymore, so I have to find one. It's still really fun though, because I can borrow boards and I have other female friends who are good at boarding that I can work with.
sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:16pm

Well I've got a small update. I've re-implimented my colorguar "core rutine." Everday  (sometimes every other day) I do sit ups -12 different sets in esclating numbers. followed by push ups, then doing the plank for 30is seconds each like 4 times.

I havent  lost weight persay but my abs are getting tigher, which is good.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:29am
That is good Sakura,
   I've lost maybe 1/2 an inch.  I can almost button a pair of my old pants just another half inch to go.  Also, I decided to include more cardio than I was doing earlier this year because weight lifting was Ok but I think i need to do more. 

As far as at work, I haven't been walking as much as I would like too. I swore off eating the foods in my office as well, that lasted a while, but i need to motivate myself not to do that again. 

This will be my second week of cornrows...hopefully i can make it to 3 weeks.  So far I have washed them with diluted shampoo, oiled my scalp with castor oil and do-gro

Is it just me or does anyone elses scalp soak up castor oil?
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:09pm
Cmesweet my scalp soaks up all oils. don't know how come. and if i don't oil it, it will get itchy.
BTW - i stalked your Fotki... you are very beautiful woman. And you got moves!!! Notworthy saw pix from your show.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 9:22am
Kellie,  my scalp is the exact same. I need the oils because it will itch if I don't, but it soaks up the oil anyways.  I've been trying to find a way around that but it doesn't seem to work.    

Thanks for the compliments, by the way :). How is your transition going?
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 8:51pm
my scalp used to be the same way, but since i've been using this nioxin scalp moisturizer spray i haven't even needed to put oil in it. i put it on every day and my scalp stays moisturized. you just have to make sure you don't use any other products that would counteract it. i tried to use infusium 23 leave-in and the infusium gave me dandruff and dry scalp, so the nioxin couldn't do its job.
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 1:53pm
I talked to my mom and she didn't think it would be healthy so I am adding in protein (chicken,fish,turkey) and I found a website that suggests fiber to help detox and clean colon...so I am going to do that and use prune juice....

-------------------------------------------------
Okay just got back into the game of exercising...I am planning to go on a fast for the next week to detox because I feel so heavy from all the junk food I had been eating. Basically going to drink tea sweeten w/honey and drink this soup consisting of cabbage and tomatoes etc. No processed foods, white sugar, or salt....gotta lose weight in the up coming weeks cuz my friends are coming in for a visit. Wish me luck! [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by blackhoney112 - March 19 2007 at 11:34am
Hair album
pw:Romeo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:53pm
cmesweet i was tempted to cut my hair and hubby saw the shears and said, uh. you just bought more products, (NTM) i think you need some hair to use it on..... shucks. (i felt guilty) so i just clipped the ends. I will clip every time i wash, that way i should be able to keep any splits at bay and get closer to the natural hairs....
Last Relaxer Apr 06
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 12:36pm
I've been slacking on my exercise.  My back was giving me trouble because of the weather change I guess.  So I wasn't able to do all my exercises because it was painful, and I was afraid I'd injure my back.  Boy, it's so easy to get out of the habit and so hard to start it back up again!  I'm trying my best to get back into the routine.

Also, the weather has been great so I want to start walking again.  Probably 2 miles at first, then working up to 3 or 4.  I've lost 3 lbs since January, but I have a little pudge around the middle and I hate that.  Walking flattens my stomach more than crunches, so I'm looking forward to getting rid of it. Wink

My eating habits have been going good.  I've been keeping lots of crackers and fruit and nuts around to snack on instead of sweets.  I really do have self-control when I want to. lol
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:45pm
hairbraider, you are wise not to push it with back pain. one thing that i know helps is stretching. a great stretch video can help to relieve some tension in the muscles. also i found out that sometimes if you increase your water, some back pain can dissipate. especially if the kidneys aren't getting to flush properly, it can make your back hurt. (not saying that's your issue, but it may help someone else) but kudos to you for sticking with it and changing the snacks.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 9:53am
Sorry to hear about your back Hairbraider, I agree with Kellie, make sure to stretch and warmup up for 8 to 10 minutes before actually exercising.  When you warm up,  usually you want to practice the actual exercise slower and less intense than you would when you are doing Cardio.

JUST  A SIDE NOTE: Also, I wanted to let people know that doing crunches is great, but if you have a tummy the only way to really burn that tummy off is by cardio. Crunches make your muscles more defined, but if your tummy is kinda sticking out, the the definition of the muscles will not be seen, however they will push the fat coating further out, making your stomach look bigger.

I have decided to eliminate sweets...I gained weight in my chest. I'm not sure if this is from lifting weights, especially the pecs but I am going to have to detrain that part.
Also, I looked at what I have been doing differently in the last month and seriously, since it was midterm month, I was reaching for alot of fast and quick foods, such as giant muffins, macdonalds :(...I know its horrible.
But last week i stepped up my game.  Tonight before I got to class I am going to attend a spinning class. I am so excited.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 11:50am
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies.  I do stretch... alot!  That relieves most of my back pain/discomfort.  I also found an excellent massage therapist, just wish he wasn't 2 hours away!  My reason for the problems is that I had scoliosis surgery 7 years ago.  But, yes kellie, I do need to drink more water.

Cmesweet, thanks for making the point about cruches vs cardio.  It makes sense, I just never really thought about it.  Wacko 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 7:39pm
Well, I have had my hair in a protective style since Friday and I plan on wearing it like this until the 6th of april.

Sunday I did 30 minutes on the ellipitical, 1 hour in Yoga( for beginners) and 15 minutes in step class but my body was too tired.

Yesterday, I went walking around town for 35 minutes

Today I took a 45 minute Spin class, wow that was some serious work.  However, I think actually riding my bike would be more fun than a stationary bike cranking resistance levels.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:35am
Yeah, my mom does spin classes sometimes, and they are totally intense. I think I want to get a bike or start swimming or something.
sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 6:54pm
Well I just thought I would check in. Since the last time I've posted I kind of slacked on excerise but I'm doing better now.

Today I did about 2 miles on the Ellipitical ( around 20 minutes) followed by 3 sets of 10 bench presses and shoulder presses. Then I finished up with a quater mile on the treadmill. I hope to continue to work out a little everyday. Sometimes I speed walk with my sister around the lake by our house ( I forgot how long it is.)

I've been trying to eat healthier and stay away from junk. It is working but sometimes its a little hard. But I'm doing well.

Hair wise I've been doing okay. My hair is growing but it seems like it isn't because its curly. And I get a little discouraged but i do try to keep up what i'm doing. I've been using buns and claw clips mostly for protective styling because twists take too long at the moment because I do them small.

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 11:51pm
ladies, it is great to see the support is still there and we are checking in.
20lbs gone, much more  to go. whooo hooo! taebo and slim in 6 coming at yah! i need variety. too cold to jog outside.

i have been using some oils on my scalp that seemed to take away the itchies. This one's for you cmesweet!

EOs - clove oil, peppermint oil,tea tree oil; lavender oil & 1/2 camelia oil + 1/2 meadowfoam seed oil.
i don't have exact measurements but i say use the EOs oils in like 10-20 drops unless you want more and top up with the camelia & MFS oil. i put this in a dark brown bottle with a dropper (50 ml) and add every other night. oooo it feels tingly and no itchies. hope this helps
Last Relaxer Apr 06
sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 6:05pm
Kellie Congrats on loosing 20 pounds already!! Keep up the good work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic