Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair and Body Health Challenge 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 10:01pm
Screen Name:  ccmuffingirl

Hair type: 3c/4a

Relaxed/texurized/natural/transitioning: Relaxed

Hair regimin:  I co-wash my hair with a mixture of conditioner and honey as often as needed.  Every week I deep condition my hair with a protein-filled deep conditioner mixed with EVOO and Virgin Coconut Oil.  Every two weeks to a month I Henna my hair for strength, and every three months I relax my hair.

Present hair length: Below neck length

Hair length goal: Waist Length

Hair Style Goal:  I don't really have one.  I just want to have long hair!

What styles/products do you want ot increase or decrease use of:  I always wear my hair in a ponytail, so I want to stop doing that so often.  And I want to stop using conditioners that have bad ingredients like parabens in them.

Health Goal:  Lose 50-80 pounds, eat less processed foods and more whole grains, fruits and vegetables.  Also drink more water and take a daily vitamin.

What foods do you want to increase or decrease the consumption:  I want to consume less juice, red meat, and sweets and increase natural, wholesome foods.

Exercises:  I need to incorporate more cardio and strength exercises.  I would like to learn yoga and pilates.
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 6:03am

Hey Caramel Diva...good to see that you are still on the challenge. How are you keeping your cornrows neat during your 3-5 week wear of them?

Ccmuffingirl, welcome to the challenge...it's never too late to start :)

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 9:04pm
Thanks, cmesweet!  I'll try my best to reach my goals by this time next year.
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 4:31pm
Screen name: Kathyblack

Hair type: 3c/4a  I have several textures on my head.

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning: Relaxed

Hair regimen: Wash hair whenever I feel it is dirty which is usually every day. I only wash my hair with conditioner. I make sure my conditioner are organic basically no chemical

Present hair length: ear length

Hair length goal: chin length

Hairstyle goal: nice ponytail

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: increase-olive oil; decrease-flat iron

Health goal: solid core

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: increase-greens

Exercises: aerobics and weight training

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 4:43pm

Screen name: Kathyblack

Hair type: 3c/4a (I have serveral textures to my hair)

Relaxed/texturized/natural/transitioning: Relaxed and Happy

Present hair length: Shoulder length

Hair length goal: Bra strap length

Hairstyle goal: Nice loose bun

What styling/products methods you want to increase or decrease the use of: Increas the uses of my beloved coconut oil and decreas the use of all unnatural products

Health goal: To be at 125 pounds

What foods you want to increase or decrease the consumption of: Increase the amounts of vegetables and decrease the amounts of refined sugars, fast foods and sodas

Exercises: I'm trying to exercise 90 minutes a day excluding Sundays only.

Hair Regimen: I wash my hair every day with  whole foods mint conditioner. I add olive oil to my scalp and ends when finished washing and spritz my hair with my Alba leave in conditioner. If I have to go somewhere important I will rollerset my hair. If I want my hair straight  I roller set than flatiron the end lightly for a soft wave affect. I deep condition my hair with henna or I add some whey protein into my conditioner for a protein conditioning. If I dont want to go through so much mess I just add coconut oil to my regular conditioner.

Kathyblack

With bands of rosy hue,
And lace my bodice blue.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 10:22am
Welcome to the challenge Kathy.

I use a body oil from Alba called Alba Kukui nut oil. Its a blend, but it smells good and feels good on your skin especially after a shower/bath.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 3:00pm
Hello ladies, i am still around.
good tidings to everyone.

i have been so busy. have had no time to weigh in. so i don't know if i have made any more progress in the weigh department, but i think i am in maintenance as nothing has changed for the worse. thank God.

I am eating much better though, i slacked off on my water but i am picking up the pace with that getting back to 2+ litres.

my hair is braided up again, since it is getting cold. plus like you comesweet i had to trim an inch off cause of the knots. my goodness so annoying. so i braided to keep my hair protected. i am co-washing and using a home made spray on my braids that is keeping it moisturized.

oh and i am using BT. but i think i will be making my own version.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 4:29pm
Hi Kelly,
what is BT?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 3:27pm
Thank you cmsweet for acknowledging my post. I just want to know what decided you on your natural journey?

With bands of rosy hue,
And lace my bodice blue.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 6:40am
Hey Kathyblack!

Well I decided in while in college, I rarely got touchups and my roots didn't concern me. However, other people were overly concern about my new growth. This was a time in my life when I questioned why do people do what we do, what exactly was the purpose  of relaxing the hair in a historical context and compared it to the present.  For example, when my mother, born in Tennessee, attempted to get jobs doing domestic work, the requirement was that Blacks had to have their hair straighten, to make the non-black population more comfortable.  

Anyways, to make a long story short, it took me a while to transition. I really feared what people thought about me at first. So I attempted 2 times before my final transition. I finally decided, I'm going to grow it out for 4 months and then do the big chop and that is what I did.

After I did my big chop, no one could tell me nothing. There was no goal I felt couldn't be accomplished. I think the big chop for me was a learning experience about who I am and way for me to grow as an individual, instead of being concerned about others by trying to change for me.

For some people, going natural is not that long of  a process and does not necessarily have to do with deep thought. However, it did for me. Another thing  was, I though I saw my edges disappearing,don't ask my mom, she claim they weren't.

My hair
 I finally got my braids in, with extensitions. This is my first time ever having box braids with extensitions. They feel somewhat heavey, but I assume this is to be expected. Hopefully, I will be able to wear these longer than 2 weeks.  My plan is to do the Crown and Glory Technique.

Exercise
Elliptical on Hill program- 30 minutes
Rowing machine- 5 minutes

Edited by cmesweet - September 14 2007 at 6:42am
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 3:46pm
Cmesweet, that's about a good response as any. Everyone has their own opinion for going natural or staying relaxed and it's just the reasons I like to hear not all that other stuff about how other people are incompatent because of their choices. I am relaxed because of my choice, and I it find absolutely astonishing how others will quickly segregate others because of something as pure and simple as their hair choice.
I hope that someday we can all just share secrets finding what best for us and not blaming it's uneffective-ness on relaxers, colors or perms.
Sorrry didn't mean to make this seem all spiritual it's just sometimes I get hoodwinked by my emotions. Again thanks for the post!

With bands of rosy hue,
And lace my bodice blue.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 4:20pm
No  problem Kathy.

There are people who preach and there are those who degrade others because they do not agree with one's choice. I am neither. People have a right to choose and what works for one person does not work for the other.  That is one reason why the members on this board are pretty cool. No matter if you are relaxed or natural, we attempt to answer the question and no one is excluded from our challenges, we are very accepting.

We get along quite well here.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 8:26pm
I just wanted to say that things are going well so far with my hair and body challenge...I lost an additional 3 pounds since I last posted and I've finally switched to a natural conditioner and leave-in conditioner like I wanted to. My hair feels a lot more moisturized.  I still have to work on developing an exercise routine, eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, and drinking enough water, but I'm getting there.  Hopefully by next month I will have things under control.  I just thought I'd keep you ladies posted Smile  Keep up the good work everyone!

Edited by ccmuffingirl - September 16 2007 at 8:27pm
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 6:46am
Good to hear that things are going well for you Ccmuffingirl and congrats on losing 3 lbs.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:03am
hard work paying offClap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 4:11pm

Thanks Cmesweet and Anomis Tongue.  Are things going well with your challenges?

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Anomis Anomis wrote:

Hi Kelly,
what is BT?

Anomis, BT is the infamous boundless tresses.....lolboxer

ladies, does anyone do juicing? i got me a juicer and i am going to check out some recipes.. anyone???
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:30pm
ok, thanks.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 2:42pm
Well I accomplished one of my many goals for this year, it was to participate in  a 5k marathon.

This year I walked for Race for the Cure= 5k = 3miles
Next year I plan on jogging, or trying to jog.

It was great, so many people there. Nice to exercise for a cause.cheer

Also I ordered and have received my products
From hairveda.com
         Hydrospritz
         Avococo Oil
         Shealoe - unscented
         Moisturiing conditioner
 From Oyinhandmade.com
         Grandpoo Bar
         Burnt sugar pomade

The bad part is< i can't even use this until my braids are out.
Today is Saturday, so Monday will be week for of my box braid extensions

Wow, I have actually achieved 2 goals this month...do a marathon and wear a hairstyle for longer than 1.5 weeks.

I am so in a good mood right now. barmy
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 2:45pm
ClapGone head girl get down!!!!Thumbs%20Up

thanks for shareing your victory it is inspireing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic