Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLAT IRON HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lorlor1717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLAT IRON HELP
    Posted: December 27 2006 at 10:03pm
Ok so Im gonna be flat ironing my hair for the first time and I was wondering if there was any precautions I should take or any special things I should use in my hair before or after I flat iron it? Ive heard something about a heat protectant but I wasnt quite sure what that was or what brand 2 get! Also, I was wondering if I should do it  while the hair is wet or wait till after it dries. Thanks for the help everyone!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 10:11pm
Oh and if this helps my hair is like 1/4 natural and the rest is relaxed (im growing it out!
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 12:06pm
Hello there, I would advise to wait till the hair is dry so you don't burn the hair. I don't know if you are blowdring before flat iron but I like to airdry then blowdry the scalp with a paddle brush which straigtens it and then lightly flat iron the length (which is still relaxed hair). I would not advise putting alot of product in your hair prior to blowdrying or flat ironing it causes a mess and the hair won't straighten properly. I only apply a spray leave in Smoothn shine, salerm 21, giovanni direct leavin in, and seal it with a little WGO. I will lightly spray the length with Isoplus sheen before flat ironing, that is the only heat protectant that I currently use. HTH
Hair album
pw:Romeo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 1:13pm
I dont have a blow dryer. Do you think  it would be okay if I just flat ironed it while it was dry or do I have 2 blow dry it  first?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 3:25pm
Yes it will okay to first airdry and then flat iron...thats a really healthy way too. To make it easier you may want to divide hair into 4 sections while air drying then flat iron each of those sections.
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 4:44pm
Thanks blackhoney112!
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 6:16am
put serum on straight hair then flat iron and your hair will be smooth  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 4:06pm
would WGO be considered a serum?
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 8:51pm
I don't know what WGO is.The word serum is on the bottle of hair serum,Zero Frizz,Motions,John Frieda etc. make hair serum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 12:15pm
No WGO is an oil but it is excellent to flat iron with...a little goes a long way.
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorlor1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 2:00pm
Cool! Thanks everyone!
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 1:41am

It is healthier for the hair to use a serum, and also a heat protectant to flat iron.  I would not apply any oil, until after I am through flat ironing the hair.  Oils when used with a flat iron will damage the hair.  The damage might not be visible.  Using oil to flat iron, is frying the hair. 

ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 7:56pm
I air dry my hair and then flat iron. Before using the iron I make sure I put in a leave in and some sort of heat protectant. The one that work well for me are biosilk and V05 heat protectant. I appy all product while hair is still wet. After it has dried I dont put anything on my hair while I flat iron each section, After whole head is done I will apply a light coat of oil to make the hair shine and to protect my ends from breaking
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
askvivi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote askvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 11:45am
well first is not recommendable to straight your hair when ur hair is wet is better when is dry. use a heat protector I recommend Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector it protects the hair from heat damage and keeps the hair healthy.
And about the straightener I suggest the one I use which is my favorite, it's the Karmin G3 Salon Pro it has tourmaline ceramic plates which don't damage like others.
Hope this helps.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic