Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can you share your oil regimens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 12:24pm
It's not complicated... Just remember to use super sharp scissors (like embroidery scissors) and ship perpendicularly to the hair strand.

Snip off each split one by one.

Do it quick - a "chop" not a "slice."

And snip a bit of a distance past the split so you can prevent future fraying.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 2:57pm
My favorite oil is using an electric mixer to mix shea butter with jojoba oil.  I have ...what do you call it...the kind of shea butter that is white and hard and doesn't have the bad smell the unrefined does - I think I have ultrarefined or something.  Anyway, it doesn't mix into the oil, its stays in lumps that float, but if I grab some of those pieces with the oil all over them and use that on my hair, I don't get the crunchy ends I get with jojoba alone. I get very soft, detangled, moisturized hair which I love.  Since it doesn't mix in, you could probably grate some into some oil and get the same effect as using the mixer, next time I'll probably just try that because it will be less messy in the kitchen...I do love it though so I'll definitely be making some more.

Sometimes I still use jojoba alone, but sometimes it also tricks me into thinking I need a half inch trim, so I never trim with jojoba on as a general rule to make sure I'm not getting tricked.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by gsxxy gsxxy wrote:

well that makes me feel better... i thought it was just me resorting to doing that! haha

LOL

Actually, I discovered the technique on my own too, since I started growing my hair long -- and using S&D to trim splits -- way before I even knew the internet existed.

Originally posted by CalliaNatane CalliaNatane wrote:

I normally sit and pick at my split ends... does that make them worse? Woops Confused What would you recommend?

Cringe.  Definitely makes them worse.

Splits.  Ignore them, they get worse.   Pick at them, bite them off, trim them with dull scissors -- they get worse.  Only trimming them with a sharp pair of hair-trimming scissors reduces them.  I got this pair many years ago and continue to be happy with it.

I agree with AnaisSatin -- once you've isolated the strand you want to trim, make a decisive snip.  Usually, I just poise the tips of the blades over the end, anyway, since I want to avoid shortening other (healthy) strands.

Edited by DaveDecker - January 22 2007 at 8:49pm
CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 12:24pm
I think we have a pair that came with electric trimmers.... does it matter that they aren't brand new and have been kept in a cupboard for a while... would that blunten them? Would trimming all the splitends make my hair look uneven from where i have cut them?
Much appreciated :)
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 5:28pm

Suan W- I have been thinking of doing the same thing, I just wasn't sure if it would mix well. Do you warm The shea butter up at all before you mix them? I think I might try to make a batch this weekend.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 7:54pm

I think we have a pair that came with electric trimmers.... does it matter that they aren't brand new and have been kept in a cupboard for a while... would that blunten them? Would trimming all the splitends make my hair look uneven from where i have cut them?
Much appreciated :)

Nope, doesn't matter that they aren't brand new.  The blades only go dull with excess or improper use (such as using them to cut paper or other things).

Trimming individual split ends, no matter how many you have, will not make your hair look uneven!  Don't worry, you're good. Smile
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:09am
Ya know, I didn't warm mine - its possible that will help it be less lumpy when blended.  I will try that next time I make some up, if you do it first, let me know how it goes.  I know the unrefined shea is supposed to mix in better, but since I heard that smelled bad I never bought any, so if you have that kind already it may work better for the mix.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:50am
I have refined Shea butter. I wasn't sure so I had to look. I thought it was the unrefined, but I was wrong. I have heard that it mixes better if you warm it up first. I personally have never mixed anything with it, but I plan on making a few things with it. I am going to try to mix some tomorrow when I have some more time.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 12:44pm
I melt mine in the microwave. Come to think of it, that may kill off good nutrients and such. Maybe put it in a bowl then place it in a bigger bowl of hot water.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 2:46pm
Where can you buy shea butter from?
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 3:18pm

Where can you buy shea butter from?

Right here. Smile
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

gypsydoll, glad I could help.  Let us know your results!

I found jojoba oil online for about $20 for a 20oz. bottle and started right away.  WOW is my hair ever shiny now!  And I have found it much easier to comb.  I finger some through the ends on day two, wear it up that night and wash it regularly in the morning.  So far so good.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 10:48pm
Great!  I hope this is a long-time solution for you.  It always makes me feel better when my hair looks better. Wink

Edited by hairbraider - January 28 2007 at 10:50pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 11:32am
I am still experimenting with Shea butter, but I also really do like jojoba oil. I use it on my daughter's hair as well. She had pretty thin fine hair, and it helps with any fly aways.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Right here. Smile 
Does it ship to Uk?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 7:25am
I hope you don't mind me posting a non hairboutique link after yours Dave, but since the hairboutique shea seems to currently be out of stock, here is where I usually get mine.  You can get a pound for about $7, and choose between the easy to mix but possibly smelly unrefined, and the not so easy to mix but has no smell ultrarefined.  (Click on "butters" in the left hand menu).  They do ship worldwide.

Edited by Susan W - January 30 2007 at 7:25am
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 9:55am
This morning I mixed shea butter with jojoba oil. I used a double boiler method with a glass measureing cup and a small pan of water on the stove. I started with the shea and when it was completing melted, I added the jojoba. It mixed completly. ClapIt has not cooled quite all the way yet, but it is still very liquidy. I put quite alot of the jojoba oil in, hoping to get the shea butter the be easier to apply. So far it was very easy. It made it to be more of an oil vs a butter. It still fells like I have shea butter in my hair though, which is good because I like the way it holds my curl pattern.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 7:04am
Yay!  I'm glad it mixed.  Keep us updated about how you like it.  It works great for my hair type and doesn't make my ends feel crunchy like jojoba, but I'm curious if it works that well for everyone (I'd imagine it must since jojoba makes so many people's hair types feel crunchy).

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:25am
Jojoba doesn't do that to my hair. It makes it really soft. The mixture solidified over night, but I have not used it yet today. AS soon as I do, I will let you know if I still like it.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 9:16am
Ok, I was wrong it is not a solid. It is very creamy, and cloudy looking when before it cooled it was transparent. It is like a very thick liquid with a little bitty bit of pieces floating around. the pieaces are so small that they melt on contact when you rub it between your hands.It is a lot easy to apply than straight shea butter,but it still feels like it when it is dry.so far I think I really like it. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic