Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can you share your oil regimens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you share your oil regimens?
    Posted: January 08 2007 at 6:15pm
Oil is something I haven't gotten into yet and don't know much about but I notice a lot of you mention it. Could you share what you use and how you use it? Does it make hair look greasy? Thanks!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 7:47pm
Hi, Kitty Kat,

I love jojoba oil. I use it two to three times a week as an overnight treatment. I put it in and braid for the night.I also use it after I wash, as a sort of styling aid.I have heard some say that it makes their hair crunchy. It doesn't make mine crunchy. If I use to much, it just looks oily.
I also use olive oile on occasion. I use it the same way as the jojoba for overnight. It is heavier, though, so I use it less frequently.Jojoba is very similar to the oils our own skin makes, so it is very good for your hair, and skin. I use it as a moisturizer for my face.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 12:24am
I'm one of those that got "crunchy" hair with jojoba oil.  I personally like sweet almond oil better.  I use it on my skin mostly, and occasionally on my hair. 

Many long haired people smooth a few drops into the tips of their hair every night.  I can't do that.  It just doesn't work for me.  Probably because my hair is natural curly and very dry.  It needs water more than it needs oil.  I've found that the best thing for me is to apply a bit of oil to the length of my hair directly after washing while my hair is still wet, to seal in the water.  I have bad results if I put oil on dry hair. 

What gives me the absolute best results though is shea butter.  I take a tiny bit and rub it between my palms to melt it and then smooth it into the last 4 or so inches of my hair while it's still wet after washing.

Sometimes I'll use olive oil to do a deep conditioning treatment.  I rub alot of it all through my hair and put it up somehow, leaving it several hours before washing it out. 

Another thing that oil is good for is protecting hair while swimming.  It keeps the harsh chlorine water or sea water from soaking into the hair.  (of course, if you're swimming in a pool that's not your own, you may want to ask if it's ok with the owner)

Ok, I feel like I'm rambling so I'll stop now.  My mind is working too slowly.  Sleepy
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 6:55am

Hairbraider,

You weren't rambling one bit!!  I actually printed out your post so i can take it with me to the nature store.  I have been using commercially bought products and my hair just isn't what I want it to be.  So when I start thinking about cutting it (my sis just did after 15 years)... I look for new ideas to keep it long.  That's how I learned to braid.

Thanks for your ideas.  You just may have saved my hair for another few years!!
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 9:28am
gypsydoll, glad I could help.  Let us know your results!
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 9:53am
I actually get bad results with shea butter. It makes my hair stick together and get almost gooy. It works alright for a treatment, buit not daily use.I love it for my skin though.  Smile
This just goes to show that each head of hair is different, and requires different things. I plan try many different things until I find what works for my hair.Sweet almond oil is on the top of my list of things to get next. I think the key is experimenting until you figure it out.Star

Alisa06

Edited by Alisa06 - January 09 2007 at 9:54am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 3:12pm
Alisa, you're so right!  Experimenting is the only way!  Maybe you're using too much shea butter.  Also, I only use it twice a week directly after washing my hair.  It feels sticky on my hair too until the hair dries, then it's really soft.  I love it for my skin too. Smile
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 3:27pm
I do like  the results when I use it as a treatment. My hair gets so silky. I will keep trieing it. I am only using a dallop and warm it between my hands.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 5:06pm
Thanks everyone for sharing. I'm going to start buying and experimenting!! I assume I need to go to a natural health store to find some of these things? Also, did I read somewhere that you can use some of that oil on wooden combs? I just bought one and would like to keep it in as good a condition as possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I do like  the results when I use it as a treatment. My hair gets so silky. I will keep trieing it. I am only using a dallop and warm it between my hands.

I'm not sure how big of a "dallop" you're using, but I use a chunk about the size of a dime.
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 1:13pm
hairbraider-
Hmmmm, mabye I am using to much. I use about the size of a silver dollar. I have alot of hair, though and whenI use less, it doesn't seem to go far enough.

Kitty Kat-
Health food stores are great places to go. Fred Meyer has a natural section in their store. I have seen that they have some oils there. I personally try to buy what I can online because you can usually get a much better price. Granted, that I don't have a co-op or whole foods near me, just smaller privately owned health food tores. I guess it depends on what you have access to.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 12:58pm
im really into camellia oil its really light and its great for the skin and to use under mineral makeup
Babycheeks
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 3:01pm
Ok...
 Today I Did a co only wash, followed by shea butter on the ends while it was wet. At first while it was drieing, I didn't think I liked the results. I felt strange to me.I was at a friends house and explained it to her, so she had to feel my hair.She says," you put shea butter in your hair?!",but, She could not believe how soft it was.It also has alot more body,and it seams to hold the curl pattern together.I should have tried this alot sooner!  Thumbs%20Up

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

She could not believe how soft it was. It also has alot more body, and it seams to hold the curl pattern together. I should have tried this alot sooner!  Thumbs%20Up

That's exactly why I like it so much! Big%20smile

Edited by hairbraider - January 19 2007 at 4:25pm
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 5:10pm
Yah, As the day goes by, I like it more and more!Clap
I keep touching it, ( I know I am not supposed to) it is so soft.!

Alisa06

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 1:13pm
I've kind of stopped using oils.. not really on purpose, but rather out of neglect. Oils would eventually start figuring into my skincare and not so much my haircare. My hair has not suffered for lack of oil, but rather for lack of S&D.

Sometimes when I was really waiting between washes with nasty hair, I'd do a comb-out with a shea butter blend (see LJ link and look under "Recipes").

Nowadays, I use shea for skin and jojoba for face. I'd discovered that oiling my hair is less of a priority than combing gently, doing S&D, and eating well.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 7:15am
Sorry if i sound stupid.... but what is S & D ?????
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 12:29pm
"S&D" is an affectionate term for trimming split and broken ends from individual strands of our hair.  It is an abbreviation for "search and destroy."
gsxxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 8:05pm

well that makes me feel better... i thought it was just me resorting to doing that! haha

CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 9:28am

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

"S&D" is an affectionate term for trimming split and broken ends from individual strands of our hair.  It is an abbreviation for "search and destroy."

I normally sit and pick at my split ends... does that make them worse? Woops Confused What would you recommend?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic