Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sealing Wefts?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CinnamonQn19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinnamonQn19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing Wefts?!
    Posted: January 14 2007 at 4:24pm
What does sealing wefts mean? Is it possible to do this with a sew in, and how would you go about it? Thanks
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 4:39pm

people seal the wefts to prevent shedding. Its not necessary but it sure is nice to not have shedding. You apply the sealer along the track of the hair. Then allow it to dry or cure before exposing to water.

nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 6:08pm

when i have time, i try to seal my wefts whether or not i think they are going to shed, i think (well, hope) its one more step that may lengthen the life span of my wefted hair

i usually use fray block (i set my wefts outside and they are dry in a couple of hours), it just makes the weft a little stiffer....
but a better one to use is Aileen's stop fraying (that has to sit for a few days), sherrie has it on her site
http://hairextensions101.com/main/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

what i do is i have an old rug in my hallway that i turn upside down, and i spread the wefted hair out across that and coat either side of the wefts being careful not to let it run down into the hair....(this isnt something you can do AFTER your hair is installed but it is fine to do with any method of instillation)

Edited by nursie - January 14 2007 at 6:11pm
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 7:13pm
I'll be having this in the next week. It spreads right on the weft where the hair enters and seals it shut. Sealing does a good job in making the wefts last and keeps the hair from shedding. smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by amm - January 14 2007 at 7:22pm
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 9:57pm
i did notice that on your site amm, it sounds great! im still always worried about ingredients that im putting on my head though, is this a latex based product or silicone? TIA!
CinnamonQn19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinnamonQn19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 10:43pm
Great! I hate the shedding, but when you seal the wefts,  is it possible to reuse the hair for multiple installs?
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 12:16am
Cool, Amm! I've been waiting for a good weft sealant. I use acetone to remove my wefts and want to be able to reuse them without re-sealing them. Does your new sealant hold up to acetone? To citrus remover? Does it dry clear or does it come in colors? Does it dry flat or shiny? TIA for your answers.   
Here's to the end of my BAD HAIR LIFE!
I_LOVE_WEAVES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_LOVE_WEAVES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 9:59pm

Is it possible to seal wefts with liquid gold? Or am I missing something that doesn't make it possible?

Edited because of my forgetfulness.Confused

Edited by I_LOVE_WEAVES - January 15 2007 at 10:00pm
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 12:34am
I don't think LG would work for sealing wefts that you wore more than once unless you re-sealed them each time. Also, for dark hair, LG would likely show yellow on the wefts. Any remover would take the LG off too, requiring you to re-seal each time.

Apparently Sherrie is getting ready to sell a sealant that can be put on the wefts just one time and then will keep them sealed for the life of the weft. I've heard that she's testing her sealant as we speak and should be offering it on Hairextensions101.com soon.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by kristie m kristie m wrote:

Cool, Amm! I've been waiting for a good weft sealant. I use acetone to remove my wefts and want to be able to reuse them without re-sealing them. Does your new sealant hold up to acetone? To citrus remover? Does it dry clear or does it come in colors? Does it dry flat or shiny? TIA for your answers.   [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

It's acetone resistant. If wefts are removed with acetone it's fine. I've soaked the sealed weft with acetone and citrus remover and it holds up. Scrubbing with a brush will cause a problem. It dries clear on light and dark hair just like Extensions Plus sealant. The plus is that it's completely skin safe with no odor or fumes. Anything else I've experimented with that holds up better has some troubling factoids on the MSDS and should not be worn that close to skin. I'm actually debating right now whether to put this sealant up or not. The hair I offer doesn't need sealant to stop shedding or improve the weft's structure so it's rather unnecessary for my product anyway.
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 6:39pm
definately no for the LG for sealing wefts...that stuff is sticky, but it wont sink into the fabric of the wefts.....honestly, most of the hairs i've used so far didnt need sealing for the 'stop shedding' reasons (i'm referring to bohyme,jetset,rk hair) but i sealed them in hopes of as i reuse the hair that the wefts would be even stronger, and yes kristie scientist-sherrie's been in the lab again!

Edited by nursie - January 16 2007 at 6:40pm
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

It's acetone resistant. If wefts are removed with acetone it's fine. I've soaked the sealed weft with acetone and citrus remover and it holds up. Scrubbing with a brush will cause a problem. It dries clear on light and dark hair just like Extensions Plus sealant. The plus is that it's completely skin safe with no odor or fumes. Anything else I've experimented with that holds up better has some troubling factoids on the MSDS and should not be worn that close to skin. I'm actually debating right now whether to put this sealant up or not. The hair I offer doesn't need sealant to stop shedding or improve the weft's structure so it's rather unnecessary for my product anyway.
Wow this sounds promising.. I love the Extensions Plus sealant, but I have been seeking an alternative to it since they don't really like selling this stuff to the public (although I always manage to get my hands on it!LOL) I would love an alternative.. I have a few questions though.. When you say that scrubbing with a brush will cause a problem, what do you mean?? What kind of problem?? What is the main ingredient in this sealant?? Is this a latex, or silicone based product???

ETA:
Hot off the presses ladies -- a GREAT solution to weft sealing Ijust discovered:

Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

Here it is finally!

This is for sealing wefts. You just apply the product to the track of the hair. It dried in about 10-15 minutes to the touch and completely dry in less than an hour. . There is no 'curing' time. Once this product is dry it is CURED! NO WAITING!!

This DOES have an odor, and it should be used in a well ventilated area. Once dry the ordor is gone. This is water resistant. Acetone may or may not break down the seal. The testers here at HE 101 have had some varying results with acetone.

This product is currently being used in the hair industry, so yes it is safe to use on weft hair.

Edited by Divavocals - March 07 2007 at 12:11am
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 1:12pm
*bump*

Hoping to get more info on this sealant... (see my questions above)

Edited by Divavocals - March 07 2007 at 12:13am
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2007 at 3:57pm
Not to let this thread die out before we get an answer... Has anyone had a chance to give Amm's new sealant a try? I'm dying to hear some testimonials from you all who have used it. I just saw that Sherrie posted on her site that she's onto a new sealant that sounds like it might be the one we've all been looking for. One way or another here we're going to get a sealant that works well!
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 1:11am
Extensions Plus sealant is great but it has a very strong smell when you're using it!

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Extensions Plus sealant is great but it has a very strong smell when you're using it!
The smell disappears as soon as it is dry though.. (and it dries pretty quickly...) I like that it has a less than 24 hour cure time.. It would just be nice to find something that everyone has access too.. I too am interested in feedback on AMM's sealant.. (I sent an e-mail inquiry about it myself..) However, Sherrie's sealant sounds promising too..

ETA:
Sherrie's sealant is great!!!! It's the closest thing I've found to the Extensions Plus sealant, and works just as well!!! (YEAH!!!!)

I wanna say a big thanks to Sherrie for getting back to me so gosh darned quickly to address my questions about this product! Kudos to you for coming up with a GREAT solution that addresses that age old question weave and extension wearers around the world have asked: How can I seal my wefts???!!! Laughing Laughing

Edited by Divavocals - March 07 2007 at 12:14am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic