Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need coloring help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yorkieluvr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkieluvr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need coloring help!
    Posted: January 18 2007 at 2:46pm
Hello all!
I recently purchased some color #18/22 D-lux hair extensions from yourhairshop.com, and while they are a gorgeous color,they are a bit too yellow for me. I want to permanantly tone them to more of an ash color, and since I will be wearing these for a few months I don't want the ash tone to fade. But, I also don't want to change the actually color, just tone it down.What products should I use and how should I go about doing this without ruining the hair??

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 8:11am
I don't know extensions, and I'm not a pro colorist.  If it is real hair, I'd suggest doing some small test strands to make sure you get exactly what you want without ruining all of it.  If you go for an ash color close to the color it is (I don't know what 18/22 signifies), just make sure the dye has a violet base (violet counters yellow).  I would not suggest toner because its more likely to fade, and you said you didn't want that.  If you get an ash dye only slightly lighter than the color of the hair, and use it with 10 volume developer (which doesn't lighten very much), and use it for a short time (like 25 minutes max) it shouldn't change the color, but it should make it more ash.  Again, be sure to test strand a small piece somewhere hidden on it to make sure it doesn't go funny.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
txs girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txs girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 6:26am
HI,

you could just use a color enhancing shampoo which has no dye in it at all, therefore no damage!!  the brand is called artec by l'oreal proffesional.  you can get either shampoo or conditioner in just about any color.  if you have a salon close by that carried the whole line, they can custom mix a formula for your hair extensions.  i would call around some local salons and see if they have it or a similiar product.  paul mitchell make one, and i think sexy hair concepts now makes one. 

if you tone with a lighter shade, nothing will happen.  the toner/color has to be the same color(level) just a different base(ash) or nothing will change.  i am a pro, so just a bit of advice.  if you do this yourself, definitely strand test!!!  don't want to ruin all that expensive hair!!

hope that helps, a
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans for good, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" Jer 29:11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic