Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing one's long hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing one's long hair
    Posted: January 19 2007 at 11:42am
I learned a few months ago that I have breast cancer.  Luckinly enough for my new doctor I will live meaning if I stayed with my old GP I would be dead next year.
I had two operations before Christmas and still have cancer.
I am facing radiation and chemo.

Losing hair of any lenght for some women is very desvastating.  For me personallly is a horrifying thought until I came across this wonderful lady who has alopecia and sells wigs.

So I decided to carry on as I do in life with style.  My oldest says that this is the time for me to pretend to be a blonde, redhead, blue hair etc.
For the very first time this year I will be a strawberry blonde.  We will see if bonde have more fun! lol
I also purchase a wig that has my hair color and my length as everyone knows me as having long hair.
Kind of got excited when I saw that it wasn't the end that I was going to lose my hair for 2007. 
It certainly shows who is really one's friend and one's enemy.
Having the background I have in education my friends also wishes that when I am better to start a support group in my city.  We have some.
I did have my support peer person phoned me.  She is a teacher and a biker.  She lost her hair but wasn't sick.

I learned through friends, family and co-workers that there are people who really love their new hair when it grows back.  Supposely at times one's hair can grow back curly.  Maybe mine will be straight as I was born with curly and have wavy hair.
dianefromcanada
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 1:36pm

Diane,

As an old adversary I can truly say I'm sorry to hear of your issues.  I know the attitude you carry into this battle greatly affects your out come.  Your attitude seems up to the task!

I also know from past posts how you love your long hair, I have no magic words for you but I can offer the experience of my Aunt's battle.

She had cancer of the stomach lining.  A very painful and drown out type.  Once she knew her hair loss was inevitable she had wonderful wig maker cut her hair and make a wig from her own hair.  It looked very good since the color and texture was of course the same as before.  The style was not perfect but if you didn't know her you wouldn't have known it wasn't her hair.

She even enjoyed having short hair for a while before the chemo took it.

Good luck and I hope the very best for you.

Hal

Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 9:28pm
Hi Diane!  You are in our thoughts and prayers!  You can do it though!  Keep your head up and know that you can do anytrhing that you set your mind to do!  Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
pockyisgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 1:19pm
I hope people that are still reading this topic. I can identify with you, Diane. I am only 22 but too am having chemotherapy for breast cancer. I used to have thick hair, right down to my waist, and now I have none. My hair was my pride and joy, and it was absolutely devastating when I lost it. However, I had to look at it from the viewpoint that I would rather to lose my hair than to lose my life. Despite the sadness, there is nothing you can do but to continue with life.

Nowadays I wear wigs. I don't like them because I have slight allergy (for want of a better word) to fiber (it makes my skin itch) and human hair wigs are too expensive, but I wear them all the same.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well since you posted that message :)
p>i>g

Edited by pockyisgod - April 21 2007 at 1:20pm
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:35pm

First of all if I could hug you.  I am very sorry that you have to deal with this stuff at the age of 22.  When I was at one of my appointments I came across someone as young as you also going throught it.

Its bad enough that one has to have chemo but to also deal with losing one's hair is horrifying. Everyone feels this way!

Whenever possible you need to pamper yourself with little things.  When you feel sad you need to go out and do something and it doesn't mean it needs to cost money.
For me it means maybe a cup of special coffee, a good walk, I tend to watch movies, hang out with friends, window shop etc.
I really miss my hair and anyone that tells us that hair grows back is trying to help but really doesn't understand.  I really broke down and broke down even more thinking that my children wouldn't have a parent left on earth if I don't go through it.  My oldest made me promise that I wouldn't die.  I said I that I have no intention of dying, probably fight with a nurse if I spend a night in the hospital but have too much to do like bugging him, maybe being a grandmother etc. 

It doesn't matter what lenght of hair one has.  It all about looking good and feeling good about us.  People that I haven't seen for a while will not recognize me.  That how much a wig can change our appearance.  Personally I think that I could be a spy these days.

I totally understand your dislike for wigs.  Where I purchased my wigs the specialty store did have a natural wig at a resonable price so I purchased it and I tend to wear it a lot more than the others. It is red and I am a dark hair brunette.
  If you are an American I did notice on the internet a lot of web sites that sells natural hair and I didn't think that they were that expensive.  Better yet go and look for a specialty store in your area that sells wigs.  Also you might like wearing hats and having a tiny bit of hair showing around the hat.  They also sell those.  They are nice.  I am not into hats but they were very nice and today all that is very fashionable.
YOu will beat it!  Surround yourself with peace, humour and kindness. 

I wrote myself a note and taped it in my bathroom.  It reads " I will beat this garbage because I am surrounded by love and I am full of love". When I want to cry because my hair or the treatment or because I am single living parent I look at the note and remember why I am strong.

Edited by dianefromcanada - April 25 2007 at 4:49pm
dianefromcanada
pockyisgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 6:19pm
Diane, you are amazing :) I have admiration for anyone who endures through chemo and can summon the strength to tell to themselves "I MUST be positive! To be negative is simply not an option!" even if at many times strength is very hard to muster. Also, I admire you because to go through this is tough enough, but even more so challenging if you are a single parent.

It sounds pretty much ludicrous, but when I first received my diagnosis, the first thought that came into my mind was not "oh my God, I might die" but instead "oh my God, I'm going to lose my hair"!!  (The doctor didn't mention to me about a cold cap; i found out about it later, when I met a fellow patient who didn't lose any hair during chemo, so I asked the doctor and he said a cold cap is only adviseable to those in stage 2 or less of the disease, whereas already I was stage 3, because it inhibits the flow of chemo to the head apparently.) 

Your idea of a note to yourself is good :) I didn't think of this! My positive surroundings are my family, my pets, my friends, and people like you who offer positive messages; they all cheer me up and remind me what is truly important.

As for hats, I love them! I have about 20 of them! And wigs...I've decided I'm going to invest in a lace front wig :D

thankyou for your lovely reply :)
Much love!

*~!wa-ah-ow!~*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 1:12pm
lPockyigod, last night I went on the internet to look up cold cap and lace wigs. because I never heard of them.  I really like the idea of that lace wig.
Everything you have express is very normal.  When you are true to your feelings half the battle is done.  Not everyone has the chance to see what they look at bald, we can say we know.  Not everyone has the chance to grow their hair back from start and really have the opportunity to really take care of it, we do. Not everyone will ever understand the trauma that this cancer causes, we do. One day you will  be able to help someone else that is your age. I cry too.  I can't be with my friends dancing because it a crowded room and we know if we get a fever we are off to the emergency room.  I was suppose to have chemo treatment today but I have a cold and they said no way.  6 nurses ganged up against me. lol 

Cancer loves negative.  Stress makes it grow.  The reality is we are very much at war with this cancer as someone in the military is trying to acheive their goals.  We have to have a master plan to attack it and win.
So we are warrior  these days.  That is where you and I among others have chosen the Chemo route. 
I had two operations and still have the cancer on my breast wall.  All the drugs that goes into the vein I am looking at 1 year. 6 treatments of chemo and then the rest is hepceptin,  30 treatments of radiation plus 5 years of pills  I am also a third stage.  When I am finish there is only be a 5% chance of the cancer ever coming back.  I am not doing this twice so this is war!!!!!!!!!

I was so happy to have both operations, yet, I found someone curled up in a corner crying her eyes out. Meanwhile I am thinking get this garbage out of me. 
Everytime I turn around I find so many women that have been through it.
It is great if you have peer support person who you can phoned.  I phoned her a few times and she is success story of seven years.
I took so many personal growth courses and taught many so I'm drawing from that experience.

Sometimes little things make me laugh for example I was suppose to have this medical oncologist and the doctor was called away.  I ended up with a great doctor that I would easily describe her as a long hair goddess.
She has long black hair down to her waist.  She curles her hair into long spirals.  She wears frilly skirts, dresses, and high heels and one can easily hear her down the hallway, tap tap tap tap.  Then she spots my purse and tells me she is totally in love with it.  She gives huge hugs and told me that she would be devastated if she would loose her hair.

She makes me feel good because I look at her and reminds me that there is no reason why I can't have long hair again.

I think I have the greatest medical team around me eventhough I disagree with the nurses at times lol.

If you wish you can email directly at dianefromcanada@hotmail.com

dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic