Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safer Way to Bleach Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cadence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cadence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safer Way to Bleach Question
    Posted: January 21 2007 at 11:07pm
I've been looking around on this forum for awhile, and I still have some questions and a little bit of confusion lol.
Mainly this thread is about the alternative/safer way to bleach you hair. I saw a previous thread and Karen said:

Originally posted by karen s karen s wrote:

The only other way to lighten your hair, without using bleach, is using hi-lift colours, wella,schwarzkopf and other well known brands have them, they are 12/00, specail blonde. You can only buy these in sally's and you need a 12% (40 vol) developer to use with them. The salon you go to should advise you, it really depends on the colour of your hair, which you didn't say. You can use the hi-lift colours for your highlights, causing less damage than bleach.

Hope this helps a little , KarenSmile

Ok, so I know I have to go to Sally Beauty for these products, but how much less damaging is the hi-lift color? Can you use them like regular hair bleach? Has anyone on here ever used them? What are your experiences and do you recommend them? My hair is a real pain in the butt to dye lol, I have so many red tones it's not even funny.  I used to bleach my hair until I fried the heck out of it, and now I'm letting it grow out, but I really miss the blonde!! Cry

txs girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txs girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 10:58am
IMO high lift color like this is almost the same as bleach...you will likely have to use double the amount of 40 volume(at least with the pro stuff you do). 

you will likely do the same amount of damage as if you just used regular bleach and 20 volume and patience.  when i bleach my roots it takes an hour and i am light brown with fine hair.  i have very little breakage, and my hair is pretty shiny once i tone.

if you have alot of red, a highlift just wont cut it, unless you like brass or yellow.  either way, bleach or high lift, you will have to tone. 

i like the wella bleach from sally's, and i have used many bleaches. 

i also use a very stong conditioning treatment by redken called chemistry system.  it is professional only, so find a local salon...your hair will be totally different after only one treatment!! 

HTH, aApprove
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans for good, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" Jer 29:11
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Cadence Cadence wrote:

I've been looking around on this forum for awhile, and I still have some questions and a little bit of confusion lol.
Mainly this thread is about the alternative/safer way to bleach you hair. I saw a previous thread and Karen said:

Originally posted by karen s karen s wrote:

The only other way to lighten your hair, without using bleach, is using hi-lift colours, wella,schwarzkopf and other well known brands have them, they are 12/00, specail blonde. You can only buy these in sally's and you need a 12% (40 vol) developer to use with them. The salon you go to should advise you, it really depends on the colour of your hair, which you didn't say. You can use the hi-lift colours for your highlights, causing less damage than bleach.

Hope this helps a little , KarenSmile

Ok, so I know I have to go to Sally Beauty for these products, but how much less damaging is the hi-lift color? Can you use them like regular hair bleach? Has anyone on here ever used them? What are your experiences and do you recommend them? My hair is a real pain in the butt to dye lol, I have so many red tones it's not even funny.  I used to bleach my hair until I fried the heck out of it, and now I'm letting it grow out, but I really miss the blonde!! Cry

Highlift is Lift & Deposit of HairColor in one process. However....if you've previously colored your hair a Highlift color will not lighten previously colored hair.

There is one HighLift Highlighting system that does lift artificial pigment and that is Scruple Blazing Highlighting System. It lifts artificial pigment using a oil lightener...it's a professional product only and not something you could get yourself but it is less damaging on hair.

As for the safest way to bleach your hair....my best advice I can give you is leave it to a professional. This is what I do it's what I'm paid to do and using a professional stylist like myself would minimize the risk of further damage to your hair. Bleach is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you are doing. You could totally destroy your hair if you leave it on too long.

Aftercare and treatment of your hair after a chemical service is very important. Use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners as well as leave in conditioners to maintain and restore the moisture to the hairstrand that the chemical service dried out.

G'luck

Edited by Claude - January 24 2007 at 10:00pm
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 9:48am
Can I just add, I did say the other way and safer way to lighten hair is by hi- lift colours, It does cause damage to the cuticle, any colouring product causes some damage, but bleaching causes the most damage as it is strongest at lifting colour out of the hair and is used with the highest developer12% (40vol). Again as claude said, it really all depends what your natural hair colour is or if you have had previouse colour on the hair. KarenSmile
karen sanderson
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 1:44am
 I used to use LOREAL BLONDE SUPREME in extra light natural blonde. I'm pretty sure it is considered a high lift blonde color. I dont think it is QUITE as damaging as bleach, however,depending on how dark your hair is it may not be as lightening either. (mine was light to medium brown)
My hair was a tad dry on my ends,but If I was careful to ONLY use it on my roots once a month,it really wasnt THAT damaging at all.

Edited by julesyjul88 - January 30 2007 at 1:45am
Cadence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cadence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 9:23pm
Thanks for all of your help everyone! I appreciate it Smile
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 1:18pm
What about using the Blonding Cream from the Goldwell Topchic color line? Is this supposed to be added to the color & peroxide mix to bring more lift? Or is it used "solo". Is it as risky as using Oxycur Platin lightening powder only? I figured I'd just throw that question in for Claude or anyone who's familiar with this product.
SoFine
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by sofine sofine wrote:

What about using the Blonding Cream from the Goldwell Topchic color line? Is this supposed to be added to the color & peroxide mix to bring more lift? Or is it used "solo". Is it as risky as using Oxycur Platin lightening powder only? I figured I'd just throw that question in for Claude or anyone who's familiar with this product.

Blonding Cream from Goldwell is to give the hair 1/2 - 1 additional level of lift. It's more of a booster to help get it light enuff. This is much safer to use than bleach but the 2 products are used in different ways. Bleach is the only thing that will lift artificial pigment from the hair....so if you are lightening previously colored hair you need to use bleach.

Oxycur Platin is Goldwell's bleach! It's a powder bleach and it's similar to Matrix V-Light bleach. Very good but Oxycur Platin swells a little more.
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 7:24pm
Gotcha. So, does the blonding cream mix with the color, and if so, what's the ratio recommended. I'm using Goldwell's 8NP with a 20Vol. and get nice, suble results but not quite as "bright" as I would like. My hair is fine and breaks easily, so I worry about going higher with the peroxide or venturing into the 9's or 10's in color. So, I figured adding a blonding cream could give it a boost without too much damage. True? Untrue?
SoFine
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by sofine sofine wrote:

Gotcha. So, does the blonding cream mix with the color, and if so, what's the ratio recommended. I'm using Goldwell's 8NP with a 20Vol. and get nice, suble results but not quite as "bright" as I would like. My hair is fine and breaks easily, so I worry about going higher with the peroxide or venturing into the 9's or 10's in color. So, I figured adding a blonding cream could give it a boost without too much damage. True? Untrue?

Blonding Cream as well as any permanent haircolor will only lighten on virgin hair. If the hair is previously colored the only thing that will lighten it is bleach. Then toning will most likely need to be done as well.

Blonding Cream in your color formula should never exceed 50% of the actual color portion of the color mixture. For example if you are using.....40ml of 20 Vol Developer and 40ml of 8NP...you should limit the blonding cream to no more than 20ml. If you achieve a  lighter color then the rest of the hair will need to be lightened and that is only going to be accomplished by bleaching....seek a professional if you need more help. I am a licensed hairstylist but without seeing your hair and getting my hands in it it's hard for me to give you color advice without seeing it. Hope that helps you.

G'luck
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 7:59pm
Very helpful advice! Thanks so much.
SoFine
penniesix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penniesix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 6:50am

I am curious about the toner you say makes your bleached hair shiny. What do you tone with? What stage do you bleach to?

Thanks
Susan Powers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Powers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 6:34pm
Actually there is such a product! Blazings by Scrupples Co. Of my 37 years in this industry I have to say this is by far my greatest find. I will never nor will you, ever go back to powdered bleach. Ask your distributors for info on in-salon classes. This is a hi lift lightening product not a hi lift COLOR!. I agree, some of these so called hi lift colors, you might as well just use bleach. Their just as damaging. Toners built into the formula, formulated by the colorist. Processing begins when foils (any method) are placed under a dryer. Instead of bleach a lightening enzyme is used. I had the class over 10 years ago and never looked back. I don't even have powdered bleach on my shelf. I only use toners for corrective coloring. I have also used Blazings as a corrective tool. The majority of my MANY hi lift clients I use only a 20vol. Very rarely, actually never! does my formula require even a 30vol. In many cases I use a 10vol. Such a simple science for such an AMAZING product! Taking a level 3 to a level 12? No problem! And no breakage! You can formulate on a level 4 a beautiful level 6 warm copper blonde. Beautiful golden blondes, beige blondes any tone you want to create. So many different directions you can take this product. I actually have fun formulating Blazings. No unwanted red tones!! no matter what level. I haven't mixed up a toner in over 10years. As far as overlapping I don't like to do it but if it happens I don't worry about it. Never had a problem. The shine is incredible! Leaves hair healthy unlike bleach,(cotton candy hair)! I know it sounds hard to believe but Blazings works and than some. Let me know how you like Blazings? Susan

Edited by Susan Powers - August 02 2014 at 12:25am
Susan Powers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Powers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:17am
Untrue!! I believe blonding creams can be as damaging as bleach.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic